Latest post Sat, Feb 28 2009 8:45 PM by mjolnarn. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 26 2009 8:38 PM

• mrspeed357
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New York City
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

compatibility

I'm contemplating the upgrade from Xpress Pro HD to MC. 

My workstation has a ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 512MB AGP w/DVI/HDMI and a socket 478 Pentium ruuning at 3.4 Ghz.

2 questions:

A.)  Must I buy an NVida Graphics card? (if so, why?) or are other cards working?  Any successes with my card?

B.)  Perhaps more importantly, will my processor work?  (it certainly is fast enough) MC has been around longer than core duo chip technology.  On the specs page there seem to be several single-core options. . .or is core duo technology somehow necessary to run the software and if so, when (what version of MC) did it become that way?  and finally, if the above is true can I get a version of MC that WILL run on an older faster chip.

Thanks in advance for the info

Cheers,

Lindsay

P4 3.4 GHz 2.5GB Ram 80GB system Drive 110GB Storage Drive Int. SATA 232GB Storage Drive Int. SATA 1TB Storage Drive Ext. ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 26 2009 8:41 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: compatibility

Stick with the specs sheet Lindsay. requirements have gone way up in the last couple of years. If you even suspect that your procesor isn't on the approved list, I wouldn't run 3.1.2 on it.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 12:49 AM In reply to

• mrspeed357
    • Not Ranked
    • New York City
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

BLKDOG,

Thanks for the reply but you failed to answer either of my questions.  I am more than familiar with both the "Avid Party-line" about certified systems and the quite logical rationale for using them and only them when at all possible.  Perhaps you are oblivious to the information (and it is indeed facts and not advice) I seek.  I rather suspect that, instead, you are prohibited from answering on vocational grounds due to liability concerns should someone suspect you endorse non-certified hardware solutions for use in conjunction with Avid software.  Regardless, I wish you no ill will; and ask only that you pass my inquiry along to someone with both the knowledge and the permission necessary to post a helpful reply.

Again, thank you for your time,

Lindsay

P4 3.4 GHz 2.5GB Ram 80GB system Drive 110GB Storage Drive Int. SATA 232GB Storage Drive Int. SATA 1TB Storage Drive Ext. ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 27 2009 1:21 AM In reply to

Avid is written to utilize the implementation of OGL provided by nVidia, and only on their Quadro series.  Other nVidia cards can be made to work but require soft-modding, and even then, there are no guarantees.

Your proc is too slow.  Although MC "has been around longer than core duo chip technology", MC v3.0 is fairly new and has higher minimum requirements.  Even as far back as v2.0, Dual Xeon 2.8's were required.

BTW, considering you have 2 posts, and BLKDOG has 14,500 ... you might want to show a little respect.  There is nobody more knowledgeable or helpful on this forum.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 1:30 AM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

Tell 'im Randall!

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 2:20 AM In reply to

MC runs fine on my Advent 4211 with an Intel onboard 950 and a 1.6 processor.

This is a clone of the Netbook MSI Wind 100. But I am not sure I will edit a full show on that.

I run 3.1.2 with a 4850 1G and it was going well. I changed to the only "real" softmod card, a 8800 GTS 640

(8600GTS as well can do) but nothing of all of those are qualified.

I am on my own when a problem will arise and while many helpful people can try to help you,

Avid won't. I have always build my PC's alone and learn to get by with many years on Pinnacle products

as a DV500 and Premiere and Liquid and now MC.

However the only thing I never liked all of those years was inpolite people.

I am sure you are not one of them so this is why I call you to ask from BLKDOG an apologize.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 4:04 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,570

Yea that was rude.

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 4:09 AM In reply to

• mrspeed357
    • Not Ranked
    • New York City
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Thanks for all replies, especially BLKDOG who was both expedient and honest.  If I in any way offended I am sorry.  I stated before and reiterate that no ill feelings were intended.  I should be, however, entitled my frustration (which was the result of the reality within a metal and plastic box on my desk & the lack of answers in my head.) as I came by it honestly. 

I understand Avid's policy (as does sverkalo, evidently) and I think that it a.) makes perfect buisness sense and so  b.) would be my own policy were our roles reversed c.) comes with the territory as I've learned dealing with various corporations in the industry.

(incidentally, sverlako, I went much the same route. . .Pinnacle studio in 1999, stepped up to Premiere with the DV500 a few years later, then to XpressDV, Pro, HD. . .I skipped Liquid but have always wondered whether Avid bought Pinnacle to keep a good product down or if they would work to improve upon what was already the most elegant and intuitive interface I'd encountered. . .topic for another post, I guess.) 

I have no doubt that BLKDOG is both knowledgeable and helpful (and a fine chap to boot), as his enthusiastic supporters indicate and further, I'm sure that, face to face, no misunderstanding would have been possible.

Now, I AM in the market for advice.  Knowing that    I.)  my financial situation is catastrophic and even the $395 cost of upgrading would be painful;  and a new system is out of the question.  II.)  my system would very likely crap completely out with the upgrade and I don't have any compelling need to upgrade just now.  III.)  Avid could at any time (and almost certainly will at some point) cancel the option to upgrade completely, leaving no option but to purchase the product anew for 2K more than the upgrade would have cost. . .

. . .Do I A.)  buy the upgrade to sit figuratively "on the shelf" indefinately.  or  B.)  Gamble on having the option to upgrade in a year or two when times aren't so tough and I'm eyeing a new workstation?

400 now to save 2000 later.  What would YOU do and why?

Thanks in advance for your insights,

Lindsay

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 5:11 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Reading your specs I see one thing that should be hard to use and that is your video card.

I know other users that are been using the ATI 3800 card but that is with a PCI-E connection, you seems to have AGP and that will not work well I think.

So, as changing card would make you also change your mbo and upgrade your entire sys and you are telling that you cannot afford that right now, I would recommend to let things be just as they are until you can afford a hardware upgrade

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 12:11 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Lindsay, you asked for advice on what you should do and that is what I gave you in the spirit of honesty. You asked if you should upgrade both your software and your video card. What I said was to stick to the specs. We help a lot of customers here and a great deal of the problems we come across are due to non-supported hardware/software combinations. Speaking plainly, your hardware is not up to the ability to run the current software so, yes, if you want to move fro 'Pro, you will need to update your gear.

The upgrade price from 'Pro to MC is permanent but, you are correct, if you wait years, who knows what the product line will look like? There is no need to immediately purchase the upgrade but watch these forums. If any changes in the pricing structure occur, we will announce it here.

So, my advice to you is to sit tight for a little while and keep up with the forums. As things change, you may be in a different position down the line.

Todd Smelser

Avid Technology

todd_smelser@avid.com

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 12:21 PM In reply to

Lindsay:

Here's the deal. If you deviate from the specific system requirements, you are taking a 50/50 gamble, as other users have done previously. Some users have gotten lucky, many more have not. And even if you do get lucky and the system works initially, there are NO guarantees for stability in the long term. And if you do develop problems down the road, tech support from Avid will be EXTREMELY hard to come by because you're running an unsupported configuration. Food for thought. You have to decide for yourself whether the gamble is worth the risk, or not.

And I echo Randall's statement - you will not find a single more knowledgable or helpful individual out of the 58,000 plus members on this Forum than BLKDOG.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 4:36 PM In reply to

As I don't like inpolite people I also admire those who have the courage to ask for apologise.

Probably the most difficult task nowadays. I think that the best advice so far came from BLKDOG.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Fri, Feb 27 2009 4:56 PM In reply to

Hi Lindsay,

mrspeed357:
    Do I A.)  buy the upgrade to sit figuratively "on the shelf" indefinately.  or  B.)  Gamble on having the option to upgrade in a year or two when times aren't so tough and I'm eyeing a new workstation?

If you check out the upgrade FAQ, there's no expiration date for the Xpress Pro to MC upgrade price.  Now, the paranoid among us might wonder if Avid will stand by their promise not to change the price of the upgrade.  I can't speak to that, but they've made a big deal about the upgrade price being good forever, so I think they're committed to it.

That said, when they killed off Xpress DV and offered a cheap upgrade to Xpress Pro, I bought it even though I couldn't run it on my current machine, because I had the money and figured I might be able to use it someday.

With the money situation you've described, I'd wait.  The main reason for this is that I think the $495 deal that gets you all the third party software is a better deal than the $395 download without the third party software, so if you can't afford $395 now, just wait until you can afford $495 and get it all.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Feb 28 2009 7:22 PM In reply to

• mrspeed357
    • Not Ranked
    • New York City
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Thanks again, everyone.  I'll most likely be on the Xpress Pro boards for the forseeable future.

Cheers,

Lindsay

• Sat, Feb 28 2009 8:45 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Happy editing, and if or when you want to upgrade, the forum is still here to help

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller