Latest post Wed, Sep 27 2017 5:10 PM by siencs. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 8 2009 3:36 AM

How do I overlay a 16:9 mask effect over an entire video track?

Hi everyone,

Learning Media Composer and had a quick question. If I want to overlay a 16:9 mask over an entire video track of 4:3 footage, how do I go about doing that? I don't want to have to set each clip in the timeline separately.Is there a way to select all of the tracks?

Also, for footage that needs to be moved up or down to adjust to the mask, what additional effect would I use?

Thank you.

• Sun, Feb 8 2009 3:54 AM In reply to

• MikePoglitsch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Naperville, IL
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,425

Re: How do I overlay a 16:9 mask effect over an entire video track?

Several ways, but a quickie is make a cg with a black bar on top and bottom.  Then just lay it down multiple times, on a track higher than your current video.

2 Avids: Z400 Win 7 - 12GB RAM, BlackMagic Intensity Pro, z400 Win 7 Matrox MXO2 Mini 12GB RAM Both trying to run MC 7, QT 7.7.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 8 2009 4:20 AM In reply to

Add a video layer above the layer you have and drop a mask effect on that filler track. Adjust the mask as desired. On some versions, you may need to place an add edit at the beginning and end of the filler track.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Feb 8 2009 9:29 AM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

MikePoglitsch:

Several ways, but a quickie is make a cg with a black bar on top and bottom.  Then just lay it down multiple times, on a track higher than your current video.

I don't understand why you would do this, and how you can call it a 'quickie' in comparison to using the 16:9 mask in the effects pallette, which is already 'made' and will fit to any length, no need to lay it down multiple times.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 8 2009 9:49 AM In reply to

Hi,

vanexel711:
    If I want to overlay a 16:9 mask over an entire video track of 4:3 footage, how do I go about doing that?

Like Larry & siencs said, add a new video track and drop a 16:9 mask on it.

vanexel711:
    Also, for footage that needs to be moved up or down to adjust to the mask, what additional effect would I use?

Drop a resize effect on any clips that need to be moved up or down, and then adjust accordingly.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Feb 8 2009 2:39 PM In reply to

• MikePoglitsch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Naperville, IL
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,425

Because, Im not sitting in front of my Avid and couldnt remember the exact name of the 16:9 mask.  I wanted to get a quick answer to the question.  Avid cg's on my system default at 2 mins, thats why you would relay the cg.  But I do agree, the 16:9 mask is a better way to go.

2 Avids: Z400 Win 7 - 12GB RAM, BlackMagic Intensity Pro, z400 Win 7 Matrox MXO2 Mini 12GB RAM Both trying to run MC 7, QT 7.7.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 8 2009 3:29 PM In reply to

The bigger question is whether you're going to be satisfied lopping off the top and bottom of the 4:3 image when you put that mask on it?

If your intention is to reformat the 4:3 footage into a 16:9 space, you could just drop the Reformat effect on a new Filler track.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Feb 8 2009 4:22 PM In reply to

And keep in mind that if the footage is 4:3 anamorphic (too tall and too skinny), the 16:9 reformat effect will create a letterboxed image with proper proportions. However, if the 4:3 is NTSC normal, the 16:9 reformat effect will distort the proportions, yielding a letterboxed image that is too short and too fat. In that case, you're better off using the standard mask effect which crops the image, and a re-size effect underneath to reposition the image in the letterbox frame created by the mask effect, if necessary.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Feb 9 2009 2:27 AM In reply to

Thank you all for your advice. It is really appreciated.

• Sun, Sep 17 2017 6:19 PM In reply to

• ykt28403
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 22 2016
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

siencs:

MikePoglitsch:

I don't understand why you would do this, and how you can call it a 'quickie' in comparison to using the 16:9 mask in the effects pallette, which is already 'made' and will fit to any length, no need to lay it down multiple times.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "no need to lay it down multiple times." Is there a way to place a mask on a timeline I'm still working on so, as I add clips to the timeline, the mask applies to the clips I add, and I don't have to keep lengthening the mask? 

• Sun, Sep 17 2017 7:07 PM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 15 2010
    • los angeles
    • Posts 590
    • Points 6,690

if you are working with a fairly recent version of mc,

under the format tab, you'll find mask margins, with a list of preset as a pulldown.

this will affect the whole timeline.

that simple!

mc 2018.12.1 with symphony - win 10 pro64 v.1803 - QT essential 7.7.9 - nVidia gtx1080 OC (411.63) - intel i7 6800k@4.1ghz water cooled by corsair H100i... [view my complete system specs]

the time you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted time...

• Wed, Sep 20 2017 12:55 PM In reply to

If, as I suspect, you're asking a different qustion, Avid doesn't allow you to extend filler track further than actual material.

The way around that is to add material at the end of your timeline and move it as far as you need to create a long timeline. You can then extend your filler track with mask to the end, (on V2 for instance) and cut your shots underneath that on V1.

Is that the correct interpretation to your question?

• Wed, Sep 27 2017 5:09 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
      Avid Certified User

Wow, blast from the past. I was responding to a poster who suggested creating a graphic mask and importing it and thus would have a fixed duration so it would need applying repeatedly while the letterbox or reformat effect can be extended to any duration.

If you're wanting to apply it to a timeline that isn't complete then you'd either have to keep extending it or you can trim it out to an arbitrary duration ahead of your 'live' timeline.

touviere's post above is a neater option if you have a recent version.

Another option would be to apply a frameflex to the source files before cutting them in.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 27 2017 5:10 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
      Avid Certified User

Juris Eksts:

Avid doesn't allow you to extend filler track further than actual material.

The way around that is to add material at the end of your timeline and move it as far as you need to create a long timeline.

Once you've applied an effect to the filler track it no longer counts as filler though and you can extend the effect out to whatever duration you like.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller