Latest post Thu, Feb 12 2009 9:06 PM by marekbudzynski. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 6 2009 7:04 PM

avc intra 100 P2 media import problem

I can import the clip but not the media onto my Dual 2.3 G5 running MC 3.1.1.

I've had no problem opening/importing P2 media before. The AVC intra 100 media is 25 fps and I've tried importing it into either 1080 50i or 1080 25p projects neither of which make any difference. We managed to open the media on a PC Based Symphony 3.0.5  which kept crashing when we tried to play it. 

Anyone got any ideas about how to get it into my mac?

Cheers

Marek

System 1: Dual quad core 3.2 Intel Xeon. OSX 10.6.3 MC 5.0.2 6gigs RAM System 2: Dual 2.3 G5 Pci-e, 6.5 gigs ram, OSX 10.5.4, MC 3.1.1 2 x 250 gig... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 9 2009 12:02 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 1,751
    • Points 21,825
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products
      Moderator: Avid Symphony Nitris

Re: avc intra 100 P2 media import problem

Are you saying the Import P2 Media Command is not working? Are you receiveing an error? Using the command, the P2 Media will be consolidated to the drive selected in the Import Tab in the Media Creation settings.

Have you viewed the tutorials here: http://www.avid.com/p2/

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Fri, Jan 9 2009 2:08 PM In reply to

• anto
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 21 2008
    • London
    • Posts 18
    • Points 175

Hi Marek and Bob,

I have to say that it is the same on my PC laptop. The avc-i 100 can be imported but if i try to play it my MC v3, it keeps crashing. The following is the error message: Exception: DecompStream:: GetAndLoadThreadedFrame Retrieve ThreadedFrame failed.

The test I did  was in June last year and seems to me that the problem still exists. If i transcode the avc-i 100  to dvcpro hd avid doesn't crash  but it is not the same quality as avc-i 100.

Anton

ps I think we acctualy met at Mount Pleasant Studio. Any good news?

Avid Media Composer v3.1.3; Win XP Pro SP3; QT v 7.5.5; HP mobile workstation nw9440 intel(R) core 2 @2.33GHz, 3.37GB(2x2GB) of RAM, paging file size... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 9 2009 2:46 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 1,751
    • Points 21,825
      Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

The AVC-I codec is a very processor heavy codec. Its possible the computer doesn't have enough horse power to play the clips. Have you tried to play it in draft or best performance.

If you have to transcode the AVC-I 100, it should be to a DNxHD codec.

• Fri, Jan 9 2009 3:31 PM In reply to

• anto
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 18
    • Points 175

Hi Bob,

is that what the error message means? I play it in yellow/green mode and it crashes.

If i use the P2 Viewer the software from panasonic to play/transfer/format P2 cards etc. it is ok only at half res on playback.

But Marek's computer seems quite powerfull and he's got similar problem on the PC.Is there something wrong with the editing application?

Thanks

Anton

Avid Media Composer v3.1.3; Win XP Pro SP3; QT v 7.5.5; HP mobile workstation nw9440 intel(R) core 2 @2.33GHz, 3.37GB(2x2GB) of RAM, paging file size... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 9 2009 5:12 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 1,751
    • Points 21,825
      Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

That error is normally associated with corrupt media. Marek has a dual G5, this isn't an officially supported computer; the Quad-Core G5 is the only Power Mac that's supported. Unfortunately, I no longer consider any G5 a powerful computer, and I own a Quad G5 so I'm speaking from personal experience.

This might not have anything specifically to do with the AVC-I, but corrupt media someplace. I suggest turning off the monitor on tracks and cutting up the sequence into smaller chunks to see if there is a specific clip causing the issue.

• Sun, Jan 11 2009 6:38 PM In reply to

• mbmpost
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 13 2006
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Posts 35
    • Points 410

I had the same problem recently with a job.  I tried importing on my macbook pro 2.6 ghz (purchased april 08) and my quad core intel machine.  Would not play for love nor money.  Had to transcode hours of ftg to dnxhd, which took a lot of time as well.

my orig thread is here...

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/64305.aspx

After clean installs and hours troubleshooting I am convinced its somekind of bug or limitation.  My macbook pro is not wimpy by any means.  If you need to have the top of the line box to play AVC-I media, AVID needs to but that in big letters  in the read me, or on the product info pages so when one does research during pre-production for a client who may want to shoot in it, unless there are technical objections, you can tell them to shoot DVCpro HD instead and save time and money...my 2 cents...

2.66 intel core duo MBP 4gb ram, Sonnet express 34 pro card, Caldigit vr mini, MC 6.0, 10.6.8; MBP 2.5 core duo, 4GB ram, Sonnet express 34 pro card ,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 12 2009 4:37 PM In reply to

• anto
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 18
    • Points 175

Hi Bob,

thank you for your advice. I was just testing the new avc-i 100 codec. I don't have any project that I'm working on. I see that my NW9440 laptop is not supported with v3 of MC it might have something to do with that as well. I don't know, not that good with computers.

Wish you nice week!

Anton

• Thu, Feb 12 2009 5:49 AM In reply to

• musikwerks
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 17 2007
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Hi, I'm having a similar issue. Dual Quad Mac Pro 10.4.11 - as per Avid supported spec and 8gb RAM running MC2.8.

I can import the metadata and then tell Avid to go get the media at which point it consolidates but only audio comes in and is playable. All clips show offline video and "unsupported format" in the bin.

Any ideas? Or do I just need to upgrade to 3.1... which I actaully have on order anyway.

• Thu, Feb 12 2009 8:19 AM In reply to

Bob I was under the impression that all "core based" G5 are supported. Is that wrong?

System 1: Dual quad core 3.2 Intel Xeon. OSX 10.6.3 MC 5.0.2 6gigs RAM System 2: Dual 2.3 G5 Pci-e, 6.5 gigs ram, OSX 10.5.4, MC 3.1.1 2 x 250 gig... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 12 2009 2:26 PM In reply to

Currently all core based G5's are supported yes. 

I used the AVC codec successfully in the last few weeks.  I had some frame rate issues, but that was a mistake in shooting.  All clips played back fine, exported fine and edited fine.  I'm running a MacPro, 8-core, 2.8ghz with 8gb of ram and a 256mb video card.  I played back the clips in full green/green mode. 

One thing worth noting.  I do not have any external HD displays and have no idea if that would effect playback. 

Have you all tried deleting the .avs file in your project folder after importing all the AVC media?

MC / Symphony 6.5, Nitris DX, 12-Core/2.4ghz MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 12 TB ESATA G-RAID [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Thu, Feb 12 2009 2:41 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 1,751
    • Points 21,825
      Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

marekbudzynski:

Bob I was under the impression that all "core based" G5 are supported. Is that wrong?

A G5 is a Power PC processor based computer. AVC-I is not supported on a G5.

A Mac Pro is an Intel processor based computer. AVC-I is supported on the Mac Pro.

• Thu, Feb 12 2009 7:07 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 1,751
    • Points 21,825
      Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

musikwerks:

Hi, I'm having a similar issue. Dual Quad Mac Pro 10.4.11 - as per Avid supported spec and 8gb RAM running MC2.8.

I can import the metadata and then tell Avid to go get the media at which point it consolidates but only audio comes in and is playable. All clips show offline video and "unsupported format" in the bin.

Any ideas? Or do I just need to upgrade to 3.1... which I actaully have on order anyway.

The AVC-I codec was first added in MC 3.0. You will need to be running that version at least for AVC-I support.

• Thu, Feb 12 2009 9:06 PM In reply to

Thanks Bob. I wish I'd known that when I first posted the question in January. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller