Latest post Mon, Dec 29 2008 10:39 PM by BLKDOG. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 22 2008 11:35 PM

Audio Suite Bus Error

I cant load the audio suite. it crashs mc everytime. "Bus error" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

mc 3.1 mac pro 10.5.6 2x2.66 4gb ram

anyone know a workaround?

• Mon, Dec 22 2008 11:41 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Audio Suite Bus Error

Please read the post at the top of this forum:

"***Indentified Bug in MC 3.1 installer***"

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Dec 23 2008 11:08 PM In reply to

• digitalcore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • San Francisco, Ca
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,545

It was my understanding that 3.1.1 fixed this problem.

I did an uninstall of 3.1 and reinstalled 3.1.1 and have the same issue.

I will manually delete, uninstall and reinstall again.

Nubus, ABVB, Meridian, DNA, DX [view my complete system specs]

http://www.digitalcore.com

Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Dec 23 2008 11:14 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

No, as a matter of fact, in the release announcement on this page I specifically posted that it did not address this specific issue.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Dec 23 2008 11:36 PM In reply to

• digitalcore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • San Francisco, Ca
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,545

I don't see what you are refering to.

However, I do see it in the ReadMe.  I would have thought that an Uninstall would remove these files.

Therefore creating a 'new" install after which I woldn't be  "upgrading".  The readme refers the issue to be from an upgrade.

So it's really a problem with the Installer AND uninstaller right?

Brent

• Tue, Dec 23 2008 11:45 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

From the release announcement at the top of this forum:

"One thing to add on the Mac side. The installer bug that fails to remove the two plug-ins inside the digidesign folder is still present. for more on this problem, please refer to this KB article."

• Tue, Dec 23 2008 11:56 PM In reply to

• digitalcore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • San Francisco, Ca
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,545

Got it thanks. But... that is a problem with the "Installer" not the "uninstaller".

The uninstaller should remove everything that avid installs correct?

I'm not trying to split hairs... but it really is a problem with the Installer AND the Unistaller, they are separate applications and separate actions.

It is written as if you will only have this problem if you are upgrading. Which is not true, uninstalling is not upgrading. Uninstalling should uninstall everything, leaving your system clean of anything installed by the previous install -  except for anything in the Shared Directories.

I know there is a solution which is great, but when you have multiple installs and need to plan to do them all at once, this little issue has caused many hours of wasted time for no reason.

It would be helpful if the ReadMe said "Using the Avid Uninstaller does not remove these files either...)

• Wed, Dec 24 2008 12:36 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

No, it is the installer. Reason being, uninstallers are written for the version previous to the new release. It would be virtually impossible to guess what componenets need to be uninstalled for a yet to be released version.

And no, uninstallers do not uninstall every Avid file. They are written to uninstall key components only. If your MC application uninstalled your digi plug ins and you used them in other apps, you'd be pretty upset.

For this reason, components that may need to be uninstalled for the current version are removed during install (At least they're supposed to be). These plugs didn't get put on the list apparently.

• Mon, Dec 29 2008 10:29 PM In reply to

• digitalcore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • San Francisco, Ca
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,545

I think you are confusing uninstallers with upgrades. In any case, well written software knows what it installs or uninstalls and should be written to find any previous versions of it's own product.  If it cannot, then this is a problem with the installer or uninstaller.

---"uninstallers are written for the version previous to the new release. It would be virtually impossible to guess what componenets need to be uninstalled for a yet to be released version."---

No, the Uninstaller that is on your Hardrive is the current Uninstaller of whatever version you are currently running. And the recommened process for upgrading is to uninstall your current version first.

Furthermore, what you are suggesting is the Avid uninstaller is poorly written software. Uninstallers should remove anything it installs, including rouge Avid files leftover from previous versions if found.

Otherwise, its called an "Upgrade"- which would be an issue with the installer..

---"uninstallers...They are written to uninstall key components only."---

I think we can agree that the digidesign files are "key components".

---"...If your MC application uninstalled your digi plug ins and you used them in other apps, you'd be pretty upset."---

Well written Uninstallers don't delete folders, they look for specific files and remove them. Therefore they wouldn't uninstall 3rd-party plugins, just "key components" Avid installs.  Furthoremore, this assumes you are using another program with MC?  If another program requires these files, then they are most likely different versions anyway and could cause compatibility problems.  And if Avid installs newer digifiles, this would most likely break whatever programs your talking about.  I have always been told (and taught others) not to install any programs that might try and grab the digifiles because it will cause conflicts. But if I do need these files for another program, I would simply reinstall said program.

Last I remember, you can't run ProTools and Avid at the same time... unless something has changed. Something we have been waiting for since Avid bought Digidesign!!!  But even so, wouldn't installing new digi files break Pro-Tools?

Back to the uninstaller...

The Avid Unistaller gives you options.  The options to remove Avid System or Library files.  If checked, then it should remove ALL System or Library files the Installer installed.

On "uninstall" you have 3 checkboxes.

1. Avid Media CompaserApplication.pkg

"...Contains Applications and Utilities"

2. Avid Media ComposerLibrary.pkg

"... Contains Local Domain Library files.

3. Avid Media ComposerSystem.pkg.

"... Contains System Domain Files"

--- seems pretty clear to me that it would uninstall Avid DigiFiles since Avid MediaComposer installs and needs these files and they are put in the System Domain.

FEATURE REQUEST: AVID UNINSTALLER

4. Uninstall DigiDesign System Files.

5. Uninstall DigiDesign Standard Plug-Ins.

Given the issues this has caused, I think it warrents these options.

Filed under:
  • Mon, Dec 29 2008 10:39 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

I'm just telling you the way that the Unistaller App and the Installer apps work the way they are written. How you believe they should work is another matter and your feature request can be posted in that forum if you'd like.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller