Latest post Sun, Dec 21 2008 5:05 PM by Job ter Burg. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 17 2008 1:16 PM

• brijjmohan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 17 2008
    • Posts 5
    • Points 40

syncing hd footage in film project

Hi guys, this is brijj india. myself is an film editor.I m having a problem in capturing hdv footage in into film projecdt. i.e 24p and 35mm 4pf. whille i capture the video and the audio separatley into the film project. when i try to sync the shots it dont. now a days many directors are shooting the some portin of the film on hdv\hd\dvcam for some special efx. so when i capture the footage with the audio it doesnt happen.and also when capture the video and audio separatly even then i cant do it. one more thing i would like to share it doesnt sync with the audio grabed from the dat too.

thanks

brijj

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Dec 17 2008 1:58 PM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      Moderator: Film
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Re: syncing hd footage in film project

I asume your  video capture is at 25fps? Also, is you 24p project SD or HD - is it Method 1 or Method 2?

Michael

24p.com

• Wed, Dec 17 2008 7:07 PM In reply to

Assuming you are working in 24p, and your HDV stuff is 25fps, you need to slow down picture and sound if you want to include them in your 24p sequence.

Assuming you are in Method 2 (bringing in picture at 25fps, sound at 100%):

Your 35mm footage should sync up with your production sound DATs. Picture will be slowed down by the Avid so it will play back at 24fps. Sound will keep its speed, so both will run 24fps after capture.

Any 25fps stuff you bring in (like HDV) will also be slowed down to 24fps, whether you like it or not. However, when you bring in the sound for 25fps footage, you need to capture it differently, in order to slow that down to 24fps as well.

If you need to capture 25fps picture and sound simultaneously, or sound for 25fps picture separately, go into the Film Settings, and change the sound speed to Video Rate. This will make the Avid capture all sound as 25fps, but flagged as 50000Hz rather than 48000Hz sample rate. After capture, go back to Film Settings, and change sound speed back to Film Rate (100%), then select all captured 50000Hz footage, and choose Clip->Change Sample Rate, and convert to 48K at the highest quality. You have now succesfully slowed down your audio so it matches the 25fps video, even at 24fps.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 17 2008 11:40 PM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      Moderator: Film
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Thanks Job! I was asking the "filtering" questions so the answer wouldn't have to be so long!  Wink

Michael

24p.com

• Sun, Dec 21 2008 11:17 AM In reply to

• brijjmohan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 40

thanks buddy. brijjmohan.

• Sun, Dec 21 2008 2:02 PM In reply to

• brijjmohan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 40

thanks micheal, I am using avid media composer ver.2.8.1 ,there is no option of sample rate of 50khz, its 44.1 or 48k. so how sould i go about it, after mailing u this i  m going to capture the audio and will be trying to sync it. yeah one more thing the hdv footage were run on 30fps (ntse) and transfered to 25fps (pal). onto the digibeta.with rgards

brijjmohan

india

Filed under:
  • Sun, Dec 21 2008 5:05 PM In reply to

Brijjmohan,

There is no way to set the Avid to 50Khz manually. You need to set the audio speed in the Film Settings correctly, and the Avid will handle the sample rate.

Follow the steps I posted to use 25fps footage (with sound) in a 24p PAL method 2 project:

Job ter Burg:
    go into the Film Settings, and change the sound speed to Video Rate. This will make the Avid capture all sound as 25fps, but flagged as 50000Hz rather than 48000Hz sample rate. After capture, go back to Film Settings, and change sound speed back to Film Rate (100%), then select all captured 50000Hz footage, and choose Clip->Change Sample Rate, and convert to 48K at the highest quality. You have now succesfully slowed down your audio so it matches the 25fps video, even at 24fps.

As for the HDV footage being 59.98i and transferred to 25fps PAL as a source in your 24p PAL project, I think you are out in the woods. There's likely no frame-to-frame relationship anymore. You will run into trouble when trying to conform this later on. Intensive frame rate conversion will have to take place in order to be able to master to film. This is far from guaranteed to be frame accurate with your cuts.

And if the sound has been recorded separately, the HDV 59.98i to PAL 25i may have suffered from a speed change in the process, and then I don't think there's any proper way you are ever going to be able to sync up picture and sound for that footage.

Unless the original footage was 23.98p-within-59.98i, in which case the transfer might have been from 23.98p to 25p, so with an even different speed change. Wouldn't be impossible, but it wouldn't be easy either.

Sounds like this workflow was not thought through. Sorry.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller