Latest post Tue, Apr 13 2010 11:37 PM by dermot. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 6 2008 9:31 PM

• jimdingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Victoria, BC, Canada
    • Posts 49
    • Points 805

OT-Stupidity Insurance

Not that anyone knows or cares, but I got laid off a few weeks ago.  Our company has had some "challenges" and saw fit to get out of the production business.  So we, the vanquished, are taking over the business ourselves.  I've worked out a good deal with my former manager to have full use of the Adrenaline suite and all the other resources, so I think it will be good.

My question is to the self employed or freelancers out there.  What sort of insurance do you carry?  I'm thinking that I need something to protect me if I damage/erase a valuable client resource.  It's never happened, yet, but I often handle irreplaceable footage and I'd hate to be responsible for it.

Adrenaline version 3.x, xw 8000, 4gb. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 7 2008 7:28 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,721
    • Points 47,690
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: OT-Stupidity Insurance

What you're looking for is called an Errors and Omissions policy. If you do a web search for that term, you'll find lots of insurance companies that provide it.  Pretty much any company that has business insurance polocies will have an E&O policy. Make sure you read it carefully; an E&O for a doctor (otherwise called Malpractice insurance) won't cover a production house very well.

Also, for the cheapest rates, have a documented business plan, copies of customer contracts, etc.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Apr 13 2010 6:19 AM In reply to

• Keegan9
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 13 2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Prices for the same coverage can vary by hundreds of dollars, so it pays to shop around. Ask your friends, check the Yellow Pages, and call your state insurance department for guidance. Contact insurance agents or companies for general pricing information. Select a few insurers for personalized quotes.

• Tue, Apr 13 2010 11:37 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

jimdingo:
    What sort of insurance do you carry?  I'm thinking that I need something to protect me if I damage/erase a valuable client resource.

Jim;

I'm based in Vancouver, and for my biz i have L&D on my gear but my clients all carry production insurance - E&O will not ofer much cover for the kind of damage you are specluating about (E&O is to cover off the kind of work i am doing right now  removing movie posters in the BG of a scene after they could not be cleared).

There's a list of insurance brokers familar with our biz, and in your backyard, listed in the ReelWest directory, call a few and get quotes, but likely you wil not need the coverage you are thinking of, as that's already carried by the producer's.

That said.. if you blow up a irreplacable master the insurance company and the bonding agency will not be happy with you.. and that may effect your future options.

Good luck!

d.

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller