Latest post Fri, Jul 6 2012 3:20 AM by brown198754. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 21 2008 9:43 PM

• pauly49
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 19 2008
    • Posts 13
    • Points 195

How to copy footage back to P2 card to play back on HPX500 camera?

I recently copied footage from a few P2 cards (shot in DVCPRO 50) to a hard drive.  I have not been able to get the footage to work right in Avid Xpress 5.1.3.  Since I've had no luck with that, I would like to send the footage back to P2 so I can just do a live capture and then edit the video in Vegas. 

How do I correctly send the footage back to the P2 card so it will play back on the camera?  The footage is unedited and unchanged since all I did was copy it to the hard drive from P2..
    I'm running out of time with my deadlines so any help is greatly appreciated!!! :)

Paul

• Sat, Nov 22 2008 4:26 PM In reply to

Re: How to copy footage back to P2 card to play back on HPX500 camera?

You can capture via firewire in the Avid. Its a matter of copying the exact folders back to a P2 card.

Still I think the issue is spanned clips and the very old version of Xpress you're using.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Sat, Nov 22 2008 4:37 PM In reply to

• pauly49
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 195

Hi, Bob, thanks for the response about the P2 issue.  So what did you mean by "spanned clips"?  Basically, what happened is I loaded 2 seperate video depositions that were on the same P2 card into Avid.  Master clips showed up for both videos, however, both clips only showed up as having a duration of 19:51 (each video is supposed to be much longer).  These were shot in regular DV mode.

The second thing I did was load a DVCPRO50 wedding.  This was on 3 different P2 cards.  These did even worse because one of the clips wouldn't even load and the others would either be too short or would have a long duration, but would show up as black on the screen except for certain parts of it.  Do any of those things I mentioned make any sense or ring a bell?

• Sat, Nov 22 2008 5:26 PM In reply to

A P2 card is formatted using Fat 32 and file sizes are limited to 2 Gig. If a recording goes longer than 2 Gig, it will "span" meaning a second file is created that is the source for a single clip. Its very common for files to span cards, this could also be the issue you're seeing.

Spanning wasn't a big issue in the beginning because the P2 card sizes were very small. I honestly can't remember how the version of Xpress you're using dealt with spanned clips. Is there some reason you have to use this version of Xpress? There is a very good upgrade price to Media Composer.

This is a tutorial on how to use P2 with the version of Avid you're using:

http://learn.avid.com/content/tutorials/P2/tutorial.html

• Sat, Nov 22 2008 5:44 PM In reply to

• pauly49
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 195

It's mostly a cost issue as far as the upgrade goes. I would love to upgrade to a newer version of Xpress or to Media Composer, but things are kind of tight at the moment.  Are there any newer versions of Xpress that are free or inexpensive to download?

Do you have any advice on how to copy the files back to P2?  I basically just copied the whole "contents" folder and the "lastclip.txt" from one of the P2 cards to it's own folder. So basically, when I open the folder on the computer, it looks the same as when I view a P2 card... it shows the "contents" and "lastclip.txt".  I tried sending these same files to an empty P2 card and tried to play back from the camera and the error "dir entry ng card" comes up flashing in red. 

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks so much!

• Sat, Nov 22 2008 6:36 PM In reply to

The upgrade to Media Composer 3 is $395 for the Media Composer software only or $495 for Media Composer and the third party applications. The third party applications are well worth the upgrade.

I'm not sure what could be the issue with the P2 card. How did you erase it? You should use the camera or P2 device, not the operating system.

• Sat, Nov 22 2008 9:19 PM In reply to

• pauly49
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 195

I just deleted the files on the P2 card from the camera.  When I have the camera hooked up with the P2 cards recognized as hard drives, I look P2 card in windows explorer and it just shows the empty folders and of course, the "lastclip.txt" file..

• Fri, Jul 6 2012 3:20 AM In reply to

I always use Brorsoft P2 MXF to Avid Converter. Which can help us fastly and easily transcode Panasonic P2 MXF clips to QuickTime best Codec for Media Composer 5/5.5/6 keeping original HD Quality with CUDA/AMD Technologies.

Guide: Best Video and audio settings for converting Panasonic P2 MXF recordings to QuickTime MOV for editing in Media Composer with best video quality

Step 1: Launch the best MXF Converter or Mac MXF Converter for Media Composer. You can tick the box in front of the file you want to convert.

Step 2: In order to transcode P2 MXF to Avid QuickTime, please click the format box and choose: Avid Media Composer > Avid DNxHD 1080p(*.mov)(Avid QuickTime format). Then you can set the output folder by clicking “Browse” icon as you prefer.

Step 3: Click the “Settings” icon and you will get a new interface named “Profile Settings”. You’d better set the video frame rate as 24fps, video size as 1920*1080 if you attach great importance to high quality and keep stereo channels to keep the best quality for putting P2 MXF to Media Composer.

Step 4: Click the “Convert” button; it will transcode P2 MXF to Media Composer. You can find the process in the “Conversion” interface.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller