Latest post Mon, Dec 1 2008 7:01 PM by Dom Q. Silverio. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 21 2008 7:52 PM

• Dave8280
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

VideoRaid Drives crashing

We recently purchased 4 VideoRAID RTR320X drive arrays to replace the older local storage units on our Symphony Nitris machines. We have 2 RTR320X's hooked up to each CPU, and they're split into 4 partitions per room (2partitions per drive set). We're running HP xw8200 CPU's.

All of the drives have been very unstable since we bought them. We followed the install guidelines in the manual, but I think we must have done something wrong. Two of the four partitions on each drive have crashed while playing back video, the lights on the drives shut off, and the drives are no longer recognized by the computer. They come back when I restart the computer AND power cycle the drive arrays, but they became so unstable that I had to disable them in windows. So, now we can't use half of the drives. At first, I thought maybe the drives were bad, but it MUST be a configuration issue if I'm having problems with all of them, right?

Also, the drives can't handle 1:1 HD video like our old drives could. They seem to have problems with anything over DNxHD 220 X MXF.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Fri, Nov 21 2008 8:22 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,215
    • Points 218,210
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: VideoRaid Drives crashing

Hi Dave8280

If you bought the VideoRAID from Avid have you contacted Avid directly to discuss the install?   800-800-2843 option 2 then option 2 again. This is the warranty team but if you just bought them and are having install issues affecting performance then you should call in.

Advise?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Nov 24 2008 2:32 PM In reply to

Yep give us a call or email us. 800-800-2843 press 2 and then 1 (or 2 doesn't matter), or warranty@avid.com we're ready to help.

Tony

Avid Customer Service

Please use the public user forums for technical assistance and advice. Please do not private message for product troubleshooting assistance. We do not... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 24 2008 2:46 PM In reply to

Sounds like a configuration issue.

To handle 1:1 HD you must RAID at least 2 of the raw drive set (consisting of 5 physical drives or 1 box of 10 drives).

You may need to get in to the firmware utility (you will need the 9 pin serial cable) and reset some of the parameters.

In our experience, the RAID controller in the box is the one that tends to go bad (not common).

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 25 2008 1:36 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,215
    • Points 218,210
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Here are a few added thoughts....

1.)  You appear to be connecting the RTRu320 units to the embedded host controller of the XW8200.  For this configuration, you must use Avid’s 1.5 Meter u320 SCSI cable, part number 7070-03158-01.  These cables must be used for connection to the host as well as to “daisy-chain” between the individual RTR units.  And you  must properly terminate with an Avid RTR u320 terminator.  The RTR is un-forgiving (stability issues) if not used with the proper cables and terminators.  My guess is you are using cables you were using to connect the previous storage solution (and these cables are probably too long).

2.)   Are these 5-bay or 10-bay RTR units??  My guess is they are 5-bay.  Two 5-bay units connected to an XW8200 will not support 1:1 HD.  To support 1:1 HD requires two 10-bay RTR units (20 drives total) striped together to create one large volume.  The striping tables are located at

http://www.avid.com/cgi/kbase-redir.aspx?p_faqid=76027&p_created=1213910477&p_sid=hElahIjj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9ODcsODcmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MiZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXN0cmlwaW5nIHRhYmxl&p_li=&p_topview=1

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Dec 1 2008 6:21 PM In reply to

• Dave8280
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

So, I've contacted Avid support, and it looks like the drives are configured incorrectly. Also, I checked on the cables, and it looks like the wrong SCSI cables were connected to one of the units (so they've been replaced with the correct cables). However, I'll have to wait to reconfigure the drives until I'm at a point where I can clear the media off of them.

I am using 4 10-bay RTR units, so once they are properly configured, I should be able to do 1:1 10b HD?

I do have a couple of questions just to verify what I've been told by the phone support tech. He said it looks like they weren't striped properly because they are showing up in Windows disk manager as individual basic discs in addition to the large partitions. He wasn't sure how that was possible, and I'm not either. If they weren't striped properly, how is it possible for them to be combined into large partitions (2 per drive array)? And, if they aren't striped properly, how are they working at all?

Also, he said that I should have the null modem serial cable hooked up to them. My engineers were told that connection was designed to connect to a different computer for diagnostics, and it didn't need to be connected to the Avid CPU. Could someone explain to me exactly what the purpose for that cable is?

Last question: I was considering partitioning the drives differently once I have them properly striped. I would like to create at least 8 partitions, solely for the purpose of easy media management (I'd dedicate one partition for each current project, and clear the partition once the project is completed). The phone tech said he's not sure if it would cause confusion for the Avid software or not, and that I might not be able to get 2 real-time 1:1 streams like I should be able to get with the recommended 4 partitions. Has this been tried before?

Thank you for all your help. I feel like I'm starting to get somewhere.

• Mon, Dec 1 2008 7:01 PM In reply to

1. I have been able to do 1:1 HD with 10 drive config. Not qualified but it does work.

2. 10 drive config should show up as 2 drives each being 1 TB. Each internal RAID controller of the chasis will configure 5 (250GB) drive as RAID 5, thus 1 TB.  Since the chasis contains 2 RAID controllers and 10 drives you should get 2 TB of raw storage.

3. There should only be 2 drives showing in Windows Drive Management.

4. You can partition the drive multiple times. The correct way is:

Convert both drives in to Dynamic (Basic is the default)

Format the drive as Striped

Add the second raw drive

But limit the contribution of each drive to x amount (DO NOT maximize)

Windows will then create a RAID 0 partition with only the portion you indicated, thus allowing to create another RAID 0 partition.

Keep doing this until you have used all raw space.

Just remember that drives perform fastest when it is empty and slowest when it is filled. This is because the physcal area the needle has to cover to move the same amount of data increases (remember that platters are circular objects). Performance is at best at the inner portion.

This means you may not be able to push 1:1 when you drives get full (usually around at around 80% capacity with your config). This also means some of you partition may not be able to handle 1:1. Partitions are created starting from the innner protion of the spindles and then outward.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller