Latest post Tue, Oct 13 2009 2:13 AM by Mondo. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 9 2008 9:29 AM

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,943
    • Points 214,790
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Part 1 - Avid Media Composer + AvidDVD (DVDitPro HD)

This is the first of a 6 part tutorial on how I am using Media Composer along with DVDitPro HD (AVID DVD) to author and burn Blu-Ray disks and DVDs. 

NB. There is a “Full-screen” mode button on the control panel under the screen!

Part 1 clarifies a few points that should be understood before viewing the tutorials.
    It also describes a way to avoid the "long GOP" error that can occur if you are using HDV media.

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Jan 7 2009 8:28 PM In reply to

• RDFILMSNM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 1 2008
    • Posts 3
    • Points 50

Re: Part 1 - Avid Media Composer + AvidDVD (DVDitPro HD)

Again, excellent info!

• Mon, Oct 12 2009 4:41 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Hi Douglas - thanks for all your hard work on the tutorials but may I humbly suggest that when using video mixdowns, you don't delete your original clip? Instead just control-y to add extra video track, deselect all other tracks except for the new one, do not delete your original marks (unnecessary as the mixdown is the same length) and use the red (B) key to lay your new video over the top of the original.

This way you always have a timecoded reference to your original cut. A video mixdown is not possible to replicate once you delete your original video line so if you needed to adjust a super or the like you would have ot recreate that section from scratch.

cheers John

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Mon, Oct 12 2009 4:57 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,943
    • Points 214,790
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Mondo:
    Hi Douglas - thanks for all your hard work on the tutorials but may I humbly suggest that when using video mixdowns, you don't delete your original clip?

John,

Thank you for your good advice.
    In actual fact, though I didn't mention it in the tutorial, I always do a duplicate of my sequence before doing the video mixdown.

I think there are pluses and minuses for both ways.

Your way keeps everything together in one sequence. With my memory being what it is, I would probably forget to deselect the original tracks before trying to export.

My way doesn't have that problem, but it does mean I will have to keep track of 2 sequences instead of one.

Thanks again for the advice. Now other viewers can decide which way they prefer. Geeked

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Oct 13 2009 2:13 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Good advice Douglas - in fact I do it both ways.

I duplicate the sequence and then add the video row on top. Selecting video tracks  doesn't matter if you put the video mixdown on the new topmost video layer, provided you have all video tracks selected. The way the Avid export tool works, even if you have the "use selected tracks" option set it will ignore the rows underneath the video mixdown as the top layer always takes precedence. So even forgetful folks like you and me Geekedonly need to Ctrl-A to select all tracks and then deselect any audio tracks you don't want. Now that can be a "gotcha"..

The reason I always duplicate my sequence - don't know, it's just easy to do in Avid and old habits die hard.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller