Latest post Fri, May 7 2010 4:10 PM by tenorsax2. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 28 2008 8:57 PM

• sean90291
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 21 2005
    • Auckland
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,495

Why oh why is Avid putting MXF files on the wrong drive?

I checked all the Media Creation settings. They're all set to the external (FW800) drive G:

I checked the Audio Suite, and switch the default render drive to G:

So I render out a QuickTime file...and for some reason Avid insists on creating some "pre-render" MXF files on the F: Raid drive. I don't want any of my MXF files there. I don't want them split up like that. But Avid won't stop. It didn't used to do this to me. Is it a bug (I'm still on MC 2.8)?

Note that I have filter System and filter Launch drive checked (both filter and launch drives are C:).

A sidenote: the project was ORIGINALLY edited on the F: RAID before being archived on the external G: drive. Makes me wonder if some setting deep in Avid still remembers the F: drive. But I don't know what that setting would be.

Any thoughts about this annoying mystery?

• Tue, Oct 28 2008 9:07 PM In reply to

Re: Why oh why is Avid putting MXF files on the wrong drive?

This has never been great on Avid systems.  There are often renders or mixdowns or other precomputes scattered across your system on other drives.

I heard once of a way to "lock out" a drive by basically creating an "Avid MediaFiles" named file and locking it, but I'm not sure of the particulars or if it still works on the newer systems.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Oct 28 2008 9:13 PM In reply to

Here we go again. There has been a long standing bug that goes back to V2.2.3 where media creation drive settings are not consistently honored, even after dragging them into the site settings window. I find I must constantly double check the drive destination every time I capture, render, create titles, import or mixdown. Even with the C: drive filtered out, it will still occassionally show up as the drive destination. It's been brought up in many threads, yet the problem obviously persists. Kevin, has this ever been escalated? If not, it's way overdue.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Oct 28 2008 10:44 PM In reply to

When you're choosing to Render are you selecting "Effect Source Drive" or are you actually selecting the "G" drive?

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Oct 29 2008 1:27 AM In reply to

• sean90291
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Auckland
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,495

In the Media Creation settings? That's where I'm actually selecting G drive.

• Wed, Oct 29 2008 1:38 AM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

I notice this alot when I click "Create tone media."  At one point recently this was working properly, but now it has defaulted back to it's buggy behavior and the drive Avid suggests is not the one set in the Media Creation setting.  I am constantly checking drives now to make sure the media goes to the proper drive - it is a definite step back.

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 29 2008 2:02 AM In reply to

sean90291:

In the Media Creation settings? That's where I'm actually selecting G drive.

I'm talking about when you choose "Render In to Out" or add a Dissolve or whatever, the dialogue appears and gives you the opportunity to select a drive.  If you leave it at "Effect Source Drive" then it will Render to the drive that the Outgoing media file lives on.  If your media lives on F, then it will put the Pre-Computes on F and ignore the Media Creation settings.  

I'm just trying to rule out all possibilities before calling in the Grand Jury.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Nov 2 2008 1:00 AM In reply to

• Dave G
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 157
    • Points 2,190

You can stop Avid from creating media on certain drives by putting an empty P2 directory structure on it.

Just make sure you don't already have an Avid MediaFiles or OMFI MediaFiles directory on the drive, then create a folder called "CONTENTS", then inside it, put folders called:

AUDIO

CLIP

ICON

PROXY

VIDEO

VOICE

(all of them can be empty).  Then when Avid starts up, it will completely exclude media creation from that drive.  Works great.

That's not to say that Avid shouldn't just support using something like a file called ".nomedia" in the root of the drive or something to prevent media creation... cawf cawf...

Television & Video Production Instructor, Online Editor & Post Tech.

• Tue, Nov 4 2008 6:15 PM In reply to

• sean90291
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Auckland
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,495

Dave G:

You can stop Avid from creating media on certain drives by putting an empty P2 directory structure on it.

Just make sure you don't already have an Avid MediaFiles or OMFO MediaFiles directory on the drive, then create a folder called "CONTENTS", then inside it, put folders called:

AUDIO

CLIP

ICON

PROXY

VIDEO

VOICE

(all of them can be empty).  Then when Avid starts up, it will completely exclude media creation from that drive.  Works great.

That's not to say that Avid shouldn't just support using something like a file called ".nomedia" in the root of the drive or something to prevent media creation... cawf cawf...

Wow. That is a handy workaround! Involved, but very handy. Thanks.

Oh, and Kenton, I will look at my "Render In/Out" dialogue box next time I open the project. That's an interesting place to look for the problem, and I didn't think of it. I'm pretty sure it accords with my Media Creation settings, but I'll double check. Thank you very much for taking time to consider this problem!

• Thu, May 6 2010 11:26 PM In reply to

• tenorsax2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 30 2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 43
    • Points 545

Nice trick, and it even works still in Avid MC 4.0! :-)

• Fri, May 7 2010 6:52 AM In reply to

• Dave G
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 157
    • Points 2,190

Yup, still works OK, however it can cause empty bins to show up if you have AMA enabled.  Not a big deal but some people might find it annoying/confusing.

Still hoping that Avid might implement a ".nomedia" file or something to prevent media creation on drives that you don't want used.  Or alternately, even better maybe a ".media" file that shows which volumes should be used for media creation.

Television & Video Production Instructor, Online Editor & Post Tech.

• Fri, May 7 2010 7:13 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Dave G:

Still hoping that Avid might implement a ".nomedia" file or something to prevent media creation on drives that you don't want used. 

This is a 5 secs operation, just create a textfile named AvidMediafiles at the correct place and remove the extension.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, May 7 2010 2:35 PM In reply to

mjolnarn:
    create a textfile named AvidMediafiles at the correct place and remove the extension.

I do this all the time and it works great.  Avid will throw a system error or something (it doesn't say "you can't capture to this drive"), but it is enough to make me double-check my drive destinations.  

Also, to clarify the file name should be Avid MediaFiles (just as it would be if it were a folder) - the key to making it work is to remove the extension.  

• Fri, May 7 2010 4:10 PM In reply to

• tenorsax2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 30 2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 43
    • Points 545

Thank you for yours answers. As we will probably use the AMA Tool in the future, I switched to the "Avid MediaFiles" empty-file trick.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller