Latest post Wed, Nov 26 2014 12:16 PM by EEFM. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 23 2008 8:25 PM

Accessing P2 Media in Media Composer

There are a few different ways P2 material can be delivered for production to editorial. First of all the material could be on P2 cards or alternatively the material might be delivered as a back up of P2 cards either on an optical disc such as a data DVD or on USB or FireWire hard drives. The good news is that Avid Media Composer is fast and flexible at accessing reviewing and editing P2 originated material regardless of how it is delivered to the edit bay.

In order to access material which still resides on P2 cards, you'll need some way to read the cards. There are multiple devices which allow for this as follows. Firstly, you can actually use the PCMCIA slot on your PC. On a Mac, you will actually need a PCMCIA to PC Express adaptor. Alternatively, Panasonic offers a range of P2 card reading hardware, which can be connected to your editing system via FireWire or USB. For example, you could use the AJ-PCD20 five-bay P2 drive, or the P2 store, or other compatible Panasonic hardware including the camera itself.

Let's look at using PCMCIA. To begin using media on cards directly plugged into your PCMCIA card slot or the PC Express adapter; first ensure that you have installed the correct drivers from Panasonic's web site. Next, simply insert the card and be sure the operating system recognizes that card. Otherwise, to begin using media on cards which are accessing via Panasonic P2 card reading hardware, first connect that card reading hardware to your editing system via FireWire or USB. Next, insert the card or cards into the slots provided and ensure the operating system recognizes those cards. Now whether you are accessing the media via PCMCIA or by Panasonic P2 card reading hardware as long as you have verified that the cards can be seen under the operating system, you can now go ahead and launch Media Composer. Next, create or select the appropriate project type for the material you're going to be working with and then once inside your Avid project create or open a bin into which you'll import your P2 media. With that bin selected, go to the main file menu. Select "Import P2"; choose "Clips to Bin." At the dialog, browse to the location of the P2 card you want to import.

It is critical that you select the P2 card at its root level. Do not select the contents folder, nor the video folder or the audio folders from the P2 card, as this will not work. You must select the card itself.

Because Avid Media Composer works with P2 media natively after a few seconds, you will see the new master clips have appeared in your bin. These clips are available for immediate viewing, playback and editing. If time is extremely tight, you can actually begin editing the P2 media directly using the cards taking advantage of all the familiar and powerful tools within Avid Media Composer.

Now let us turn our attention to back ups of P2 material. In order to access P2 material, which has been backed up to, optical disc, USB or FireWire hard drives, you will first need to mount that device under the operating system. If you are using an optical disc, simply insert that disc into your DVD reader. If you are using a FireWire, USB or some other type of hard disk, connect the hardware and be sure the operating system recognizes the device. Now launch Media Composer and create or select the appropriate project type for the material you are working with.

Inside your Avid project create or open a bin into which you will import your P2 media. With that bin selected go to the main file menu select "Import P2"; choose "Clips to Bin." At the dialog browse to the location of the P2 card, you want to import. With a backup, usually the entire contents of a card will be copied to a folder with a meaningful name. It is essential that you select the P2 card at this level. Do not select the contents folder itself; otherwise, the import procedure will fail.

Since Avid Media Composer works with P2 media natively after a few seconds you will see the new master clips will appeared in your bin. These clips are available for immediate viewing, playback and editing. If time is extremely tight, you can start editing your P2 media even at this stage using all the familiar and powerful tools inside Avid Media Composer.

• Sun, Aug 3 2014 8:17 PM In reply to

• rachinc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 17 2012
    • Posts 38
    • Points 600

Re: Accessing P2 Media in Media Composer

I'm using Avid Media Composer 8 on Mac. I have a folder called "HPX300 - Card 1 - 061314" and within that folder is a "Contents" folder and a "lastclip.txt" file. And I'm VERY FAMILIAR, more than familiar with how p2 file structures work. So I started a new bin like you said, and I went to the main file menu and there is "Import", but there is no "Import p2" option to click. So I click "import" and I know you said "select the p2 card at its root level, do not select the contents folder", or so I try to click the folder "HPX300" but "open" is grayed out. So I click "contents" and that's grayed out too. the only thing that doesn't seem grayed out is the .MXF files within the "Video" folder (the video folder lives within the contents folder). And when I click on one .MXF file to import and press "open" I get an error: You cannot import this file into a bin. See the documentation for information about transferring media files. (What documentation?)

So I go to the finder, and highlight the "HPX300" folder, hold down option, and drag it into my bin, in hopes of bringing it into the software via AMA. Doing so gives me this error: Unable to link any clips at /Volumes/[I'm not typing out the entire file path here of my drive], but so yeah that didnt work either. 

Ok now I'm going to file meun, Ama Link, I highlight the "HPX300" folder and click open. It gives me this error: Unable to link any clips at /Volumes/

Ok now I'm going to file meun, Ama Link, I highlight the "Contents" folder and click open. It gives me this error: Unable to link any clips at /Volumes/

Ok now I'm going to file meun, Ama Link, and I go into the VIDEO folder and highlight one of the MXF clips and click open. It gives me this error: 1 file(s) were skipped. Check console window for more information. 

Please help. There is a video in your post here. I clicked play and nothing happened at all. it wont play. 

• Sun, Aug 3 2014 8:31 PM In reply to

• GT
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 291
    • Points 3,190

rachinc:
    There is a video in your post here. I clicked play and nothing happened at all. it wont play.

The video plays fine in Firefox.

The post you are referring to is six years old, so procedures may well have changed since then. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will soon be along to help you.

MC Ver 5.0.3, Intel Core I5, NVidia Quadro FX 570, 8Gb Ram, 250 Gb system drive, 2 Tb Render/Media drive, Windows 7 64bit Pro, QT 7.6.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 3 2014 8:32 PM In reply to

• rachinc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 17 2012
    • Posts 38
    • Points 600

I just downloaded the AMA plugin from the website. Restarted AVID. Held down option and dragged in my "HPX300" folder. and Boom. It worked :)

• Wed, Nov 26 2014 12:16 PM In reply to

• EEFM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 20 2014
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

I've stuck to the same problem. 

OK, you managed to get AMA working, but are you able to import P2 content into Media Composer 8?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller