Latest post Thu, Nov 12 2015 2:59 PM by Marianna. 75 replies.
Page 4 of 6 (76 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 17 2012 3:04 PM In reply to

• Renegader
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 6 2011
    • Posts 64
    • Points 830

Re: "segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

Hi Marianna.  Thanks for replying.

Yes I have my permissions set correctly.  Wtih 6.0.1.1 I had no segmentation errors.  I've been on 6.0.3 for 3 days now and have had this error 4 times now (twice this morning).

Avid MC w/Symphony add on 8.4 with AJA 4K IO Box, Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1, 27 inch iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 6800MX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 17 2012 3:18 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,715
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

good scoop.......

OK here is what I need you to do........ send me an email with the following:

1.   CPU spec's including graphics card

2.   RAM

3.   OS version exactly ( and was it a clean install of this version or an update to this version)

4.   When are the errors coming up exactyl - same place or same action?  Or random?  Can you repoduce and if so what are the steps.

5.   Has anything in the system changed except for the 6.0.3 add?

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Aug 17 2012 3:27 PM In reply to

• Renegader
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 6 2011
    • Posts 64
    • Points 830

Thank you.  I will do that.

Avid MC w/Symphony add on 8.4 with AJA 4K IO Box, Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1, 27 inch iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 6800MX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 17 2012 4:27 PM In reply to

• larry_y
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 9 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Hi Marianna,

Thank you very much for getting back to me on this.  I had searched the forum, but this thread was the only one that I found about the issue.

My system became corrupt after the first install so I had to re-format my week old system and re-install the o.s. not really a big deal but a pain and time consuming.  After the system was working again, I followed the steps you outlined and then installed the trial version and it works perfectly so far!  I am surprised that those steps are not a part of a "read me" file as a part of the set up for the software since it is a know issue!  It would save a lot of people time and frustration!!

Thanks again for your help. you are awesome!

Larry

• Fri, Aug 17 2012 8:18 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,715
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Larry

Actually...... it has been in the ReadMe since 6.x so we do cover it there.  :)

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Aug 17 2012 10:05 PM In reply to

• larry_y
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 9 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Hi Marianna,

And so it is.  I guess I overlooked it in my haste to install AVID.

It would have been more helpful for me if  the following steps were in a text file called "installation procedures for MAC OS"  at the same level as the installer package. I would have seen and read that immediatly and it would have saved me a week of frustration and I wouldn't have had to re-install my OS twice.

1.    download the trial version of AVID

2.    Click on the system (Macintosh HD in most cases) drive to highlight

3.    From the File menu select Get Info (cmd+I)

4.    Click the lock icon in the bottom right to make changes

5.    Click on the ³Read only² text in the Privilege column next to Everyone and set the privilege to ³Read & Write² You should now be able to see the system drive as a valid media drive

6 install the trial version of AVID

7. Start working!

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate your quick reply.  I hope that this part of the thread halps other newbs like me that should RTFM!!  Smile

Larry

• Sun, Aug 19 2012 5:04 AM In reply to

This bug has been around for many years but does anybody really know what is the cause or what the error message implies? I don't think it's version specific, think it's something to do with the program wanting to write/ access the system drive or a media drive and it not being able to do it when it wants to. In my experience a lower powered system seems to be more prone to these crashes. I recently made some changes to my laptop based system (Duo core 3.06) and segmentation fault problems have all but dissapeared. I changed my system drive to an SSD and started to use the ESATA ports on my GRAID drives rather than the FW800. In the last 6 weeks (4 weeks on 6.0.1.1, 2 weeks on 6.03) I have only had one segmentation fault error.

Maybe this is helpful information for people who are having this issue a lot. Changing to an SSD was the best hardware purchase I have made for years!

Multiple Mac systems, MAC Pro, MacBook Pro's, OS Sierra, AJA IO 4K, T-Tap. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 21 2012 8:45 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,715
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Dave

Good stuff..... I'm passing this along to the test guys who beat on this stuff day in and day out.  

Thanks for posting this..... as I think you are right in that there are multiple reasons for this error.

marianna 

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Aug 21 2012 9:41 PM In reply to

David Richardson:
    In my experience a lower powered system seems to be more prone to these crashes.
    I have a slightly different view.  With 10.7.2 and all versions of MC 6 I had never seen this fault.

With upgrade to 10.8 I never saw the fault with either MC6.0.1.1 or Symphony 6.0.1.1 Updating MC to 6.0.3 I did not see this error message. Updating to MC 6.0.3.1 I get it everytime I open MC.

System drive is an SSD, Read and Write permissions have always been set (and reset immediately after a repair permissions before installing MC 6.0.1.1) for everyone on system drive and both thunderbolt media drives.  Uninsalling and reinstallinhg 6.0.3.1 has made no difference. The Laptop is a 17 inch i7 with 8GB's RAM. I can ignore the message and have not noticed any problem with basic test editing (the laptop is used for testing Avid versions and is not usually used for production)

• Wed, Aug 22 2012 1:49 AM In reply to

As Marriana suggested, this error points to several problems. I'm not talking about the error at startup, but the error during normal operation (this was solved after my SSD/ Esata change). I think the startup error is another issue, probably a conflict. Recently tried installing a trial version 6.01.1 onto a brand new Mac Pro that was loaded with other apps. We got the segmentation at startup. A complete clean OS install (without the other apps) solved the problem. We didn't figure out yet what the culprit was but I've seen other postings about sound apps causing this problem.

Multiple Mac systems, MAC Pro, MacBook Pro's, OS Sierra, AJA IO 4K, T-Tap. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 26 2013 5:55 AM In reply to

• Jim Gilson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 12 2011
    • Kennesaw, GA
    • Posts 79
    • Points 995

I'm getting "segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread" at address 0x0, too. immediately at launch of app.

this has happened since i switched Graphics cards from ATI 6870 to nVidia Titan.  Titan is working with all of my other apps (Premier, AE, FCP, DaVinci, etc)  I have uninstalled and reinsstalled app with no luck.  what do you suggest.

Media Composer 7.0  OSX 10.8.4, nVidia Titan

cheers,

MC 8.4. Mac Pro 12 core, LG 31MU97 Yosemite 10.10.5 on both X58A UD3R FF, K-5000, i7 970, 24g ram, USB3, SATA 6g. MC 8.4, OCZ 512 system drive,... [view my complete system specs]

"It's ok.  They're speaking Chinese."  Firesign Theatre

• Thu, Mar 27 2014 10:39 AM In reply to

Hi and thanks for your time,

This started happening on an Imac 9,1 running  OS X 10.8.4. We use MC 6.0.4.

The application does not anymore. It does not get to the splash screen, we get: alert "segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0 straight away. After I click okay I get the OS's Avid MC quit unexpectedly... I have also noticed that if I switch the accounts to ADMIN, it fixes the problem... As soon as the accounts are swaped back to standard, it is back to the start. We did have some problems with permissions on this Mac but now all sees fine.

1) Fixing permissions

2) Carefully checking folder structure and all permissions for the faulty users (root-MXF folder-users-documents-avid folder-project folders-etc.

3) Deleting MC State, Site Settings, and Site Attributes. Plus the Project Settings in the project folder.

Would anyone have any recomendations?

Thanks, Tim

Media Composer 08.2.0 - iMac 14,3 - 8GB RAM - GeForce GT750M 1024MB - 2.9 i5 - OS X 10.9.5 

• Wed, Apr 9 2014 9:01 AM In reply to

Bump

Media Composer 08.2.0 - iMac 14,3 - 8GB RAM - GeForce GT750M 1024MB - 2.9 i5 - OS X 10.9.5 

• Mon, Apr 14 2014 3:18 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,715
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Have you tried this....

With the release of Mac OS 10.7 Lion, 10.8.x Mt. Lion, and now Mavericks 10.9.x the default permissions for the root level of the system drive of the Mac  are now set to “Read Only” for all users.

You will see the drive grayed out in Media Creation settings or as an option for import, mixdown, render, and consolidate/transcode or see an error "Segmentation Fault at 0x0"

For customers that don’t intend to use the system drive for media, they can leave it as is. This is ideal in most cases.  For those that need to use the system drive, they should take the following steps to change permissions:

1.    Click on the system (Macintosh HD in most cases) drive to highlight
    2.    From the File menu select Get Info (cmd+I)
    3.    Click the lock icon in the bottom right to make changes
    4.    Click on the “Read only” text in the Privilege column next to Everyone and set the privilege to “Read & Write”

Customers should now be able to see the system drive as a valid media drive.   Note:  repairing permissions on the system drive will reset and they will have to repeat this procedure.

marianna 

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Jun 18 2014 6:58 AM In reply to

• queeq
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 23 2008
    • Posts 27
    • Points 335

Ha Marianna,

I am having this same problem on my MC6 system. I have copid XD-Cam discs to a hard drive, linked them as AMA files and started transcoding. I started an import of some 90 clips in one go. Something like 60 clips went fine and then I got the "Segmentation Fault" error. Using Media Tool I was able to retrieve the already transcoded files, but starting it up again for the remainder ends up in the samen error.

Yesterday I started a second batch, from a different shoot. (again: XD-Cam discs copied to teh samen external hard drive). The first 60 of 180 clips went fine and then it crashed again.

I don't work on the system disc, I transcode everything to the same disc. Permissions are fine as you said.

This is the first time in two years I have this transcoding issue all of a sudden. Any idea what it could be?

Mike Warmels

Page 4 of 6 (76 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller