Latest post Wed, Mar 9 2011 5:21 PM by BustedFlush. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 10 2008 6:15 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,943
    • Points 214,780
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Converting Slides to Streaming Video

Converting Slides to Streaming Video
    By Michael Kennedy, Squeeze Expert User
    Reprinted from Sorenson Media October 2008 Newsletter

I am often presented with PowerPoint slides that I want to stream as a video. The best and fastest method for converting a PowerPoint presentation into a streaming video presentation is to use Squeeze. I use this method:

1) Simply convert the PowerPoint presentation into a graphic file, such as a jpeg ("Save as" from within PowerPoint);

2) Import all the PowerPoint slides into a video editing software application;

3) Import any audio files that are part of the presentation into the video editing software application;

4) Sync each PowerPoint slide and any audio;

5) Export this new clip as a raw video file;

6) Import this raw video file into Squeeze, and use Squeeze's wmv settings to make the compressed wmv file;

7) Lastly I upload the compressed wmv file into the streaming server and I have a streaming PowerPoint presentation in relatively short time.

So, the next time you are offered, "I have a PowerPoint," rather than ignore the comment, or say, "Ummm, I really don't care for PowerPoint presentations"; you can smile and say, "Great, I may use it as I put your presentation together."

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jun 15 2009 9:20 PM In reply to

• Tom Hanson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2008
    • Palm Coast, Florida
    • Posts 18
    • Points 200

Re: Converting Slides to Streaming Video

Hmmm, help me here, wouldn't you lose all the "presentation" values of Powerpoint by doing what you suggest?  Therefore:

...."So, the next time you are offered, "I have a PowerPoint," rather than ignore the comment, or say, "Ummm, I really don't care for PowerPoint presentations"; you can smile and say, "Great, I may use it as I put your presentation together."

You may have to tell John/Jane Doe that all the time someone spent creating the great PPT transitions, segues, in their presentation etc., will be lost... correct?  But that you will revamp the static slides with your favorite Gee-Whiz transitions available on your editor app of choice, correct?

The bottom line is that all media is fair play when designing product for a client--it all depends on budget, time and available resources - Powerpoint included....

Oh, and one final point - once you are no longer in PPT land, meaning that you've converted PPT slides to some other format (jpg, png, bmp etc) and you are working within some editing app (Avid, FCP, Premier) you really don't have a streaming Powerpoint presentation at all, but rather a video created from slides that  appear as though they were created in Powerpoint! 

I like Squeeze, but there is really nothing special about it when discussing PPT conversions to video.

Operating System System Model Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Intel Corporation Processor a Main Circuit Board b 2.40... [view my complete system specs]
    Tom Hanson Video Production Coordinator, TV199 www.pcma-tv199.org
  • Mon, Jun 15 2009 9:29 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,943
    • Points 214,780
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hi Tom, thanks for the feedback. You make a great point.

Although I did not write the tip (reposted from a Sorenson Newsletter) I did think our video post Community members should have it on hand in case they were in this situation, since Squeeze is bundled with Media Composer.

Best,

Adam

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Mar 11 2010 11:35 AM In reply to

• Charles1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 11 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

As for me,i prefer use Presentation to Video Converter.It's prog for convert Power Point into video.I was using it for my business and i like it.It's really good tool.Try

• Tue, Jun 8 2010 3:57 PM In reply to

• Molly34
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 9 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

http://www.geovid.com/presentation_to_video_converter/

I tried Presentation to Video Converter and it is really good software.

• Wed, Mar 9 2011 5:21 PM In reply to

I thought Powerpoint had an "export to QT movie" option, retaining all the effects.

MediaComposer 8.3.1 Mac Pro Harperstown OS 10.10.5 Dual 3.2 processors, 16Gb ram, 3 TB Sata internal hard drives, Graphic Card-NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT,... [view my complete system specs]

BustedFlush

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller