Latest post Mon, Dec 15 2008 4:47 PM by NICKB. 283 replies.
Page 16 of 19 (284 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 9 2008 9:03 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,106
    • Points 60,045

Re: What I want for XMas

Larry, given the circumstances a lot has to happen, but in this regards I don't believe that lowering the Mojo DX price will help the world economySmile.

@ NICKB: I do not work with companies that did the switch to FC if I can, but my income is suffering because of this.

This is the editor's thread: cut, cut the prices, cut the product line; videoguy came out with a couple of very interesting proposals about opening the Avid software/hardware for use with third party products, this "new doing" may help to avoid losing the middle market customers which is a must IMO, as this is becoming the main market nowadays.

MC 8.9.4, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Dec 9 2008 1:33 PM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

Avid is a great editor.  Just please let us use other devices from other established manufacturers - decklink, aja, motu.  Please.

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 9 2008 5:57 PM In reply to

• VGUK2
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 24 2007
    • Posts 292
    • Points 4,430

luca.mg:

videoguy came out with a couple of very interesting proposals about opening the Avid software/hardware for use with third party products, this "new doing" may help to avoid losing the middle market customers which is a must IMO, as this is becoming the main market nowadays.

Videoguy did make some very good points.  Unfortunately they have _ALL_ been made here for years and no movement has been forthcoming from Avid.  It has all fallen on deaf ears and that's why dud products like the original Mojo (with its oh so "professional" outputs) and now this complete aberration the Mojo DX gets released.  The pricing was insane in the pre-credit crunch world but now - well words just fail me...

This recession is just going to bring insane pricing into even sharper focus.

• Tue, Dec 9 2008 6:36 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,106
    • Points 60,045

VGUK2, Avid used to have a reputation for not listening to its customers, not to mention respecting them, in my loooong relationship with Avid I've learned this the hard way, and I'm not going into details to avoid being tedious and getting upset; all I hope is that the new thinking statement will be followed by facts.

MC 8.9.4, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Dec 9 2008 7:33 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

You can buy a brand new car for the price of a DX Nitris box!

• Tue, Dec 9 2008 7:37 PM In reply to

You can buy a brand new house for the price of a SRW-5500!

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 9 2008 7:41 PM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:

Exactly. Even just a few years ago you could buy a house for the cost of a decent edit suite. 

These posts of "it should be cheaper because "I" can't afford to buy it" are kind of annoying.  I can't afford to buy the HD stuff either, but I realize the value in their cost and aspire to one day own them - it is up to me to earn the funds to be able to play in this arena, it is not up to the manufacturers to lower the cost to allow me in.  And that goes for anything, not just Avid hardware.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Dec 9 2008 8:01 PM In reply to

• s1eve
    • Not Ranked
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 28
    • Points 340

Why isn't Avid doing anything about this issue??? Look at how long this thread is!

As a freelance Avid editor for many years, I've now been given the opportunity to finally set up a boutique editorial business and I'm trying to justify ponying up NZ$23,730+gst for DX Nitris and a DX Mojo at NZ$14,240+gst. $14k+ here in NZ for what is essentially an I/O box.

I don't want to switch to Final Cut/AJA nor use FC as an option to get Avid HD edits monitored. So what should I do? Forget about setting up a business and just continue to freelance at established facilities or just man up and pay that premium price? 

• Tue, Dec 9 2008 9:14 PM In reply to

• SandmanX82
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 12 2008
    • Michigan
    • Posts 148
    • Points 2,095

Kenton.VanNatten:

Dom Q. Silverio:

Exactly. Even just a few years ago you could buy a house for the cost of a decent edit suite. 

These posts of "it should be cheaper because "I" can't afford to buy it" are kind of annoying.  I can't afford to buy the HD stuff either, but I realize the value in their cost and aspire to one day own them - it is up to me to earn the funds to be able to play in this arena, it is not up to the manufacturers to lower the cost to allow me in.  And that goes for anything, not just Avid hardware.

But see, this is Avid's problem.  These posts don't say "it should be cheaper because I can't afford to buy it"....they say "it should be cheaper because I can't afford to buy Avid...but I CAN afford other company's solutions."  So you're right, it's not up to Avid to lower the cost to allow people in...Apple and Adobe are banking on just that.

• Tue, Dec 9 2008 10:22 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,106
    • Points 60,045

It's not "I", it's the companies I work for that do not feel like being charged more from Avid than they would be from the competition: money matters for them. I may or may not afford DX hardware, if the boxes are not widespread and post houses are not pushing them as an option to their clients that's the end of it. As a freelance editor, other than post houses, I also face individuals who want to hire me, and when I say Avid it's like mentioning a thing of the past: does it still exist? Can it really handle HD? As an editing suite is more affordable today than it was a few years ago, when it did cost like an house, I'm supposed to own my "moviola"; this is also happening to plenty of colleagues who didn't grow up editing on Avid, who invested less money on their equipments, who can therefore charge less than I can. Should I charge 3 times as much just because Avid is charging me 3 times as much? It does not work like that. As said before, I hope the new thinking is not just a bla-bla-bla and that we see a fair, competitive pricing policy pretty soon, or else Avid editors are going to be like pandas, and Avid editing systems will sit in a retrocomputing museum next to the Commodore 64.

peace luca

• Tue, Dec 9 2008 10:29 PM In reply to

• Blitzer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 3 2008
    • Posts 69
    • Points 955

I don't know whether affordability is the real issue.  I really don't think professionals have a problem paying a premium for MC - it's a better piece of software.  But it's difficult (whether you can afford it or not) to pay a 5x plus premium for hardware.  More features for Mojo and Nitris or lower price points.  I'd take either one.  Either way, something should happen sooner rather than later.  

MC 3.0.1 w/Mojo Analog MacPro 2.66 10GB RAM OS 10.4.11 QT 7.3.0 Internal RAID0 3x750GB Seagate w/ATTO XpressStripe v4.11 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 9 2008 10:38 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

SRW-5500 oh those expensive tape decks that cost as much as a house, probably the last VTR design  to hit the market in the new file based world.

$100,00 Sony F900 Hdcam +$80,000 SWR 5500 + $30,000 Avid  = Nice

$4000 Red scarlet + $200 hard drive + $5000 FCP = The future!

• Tue, Dec 9 2008 10:53 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,106
    • Points 60,045

NICKB:

$4000 Red scarlet + $200 hard drive + $5000 FCP = The future!

... unless someone at Avid realizes that it is possible to stay in the market for years making a fair amount of money instead of making plenty of money today and closing up tomorrow ...

peace luca

• Wed, Dec 10 2008 12:37 AM In reply to

SandmanX82:
    you're right, it's not up to Avid to lower the cost to allow people in...Apple and Adobe are banking on just that.

The age old argument.  For me it boils down to this... those that do not know better, nor understand how much their time is worth will fall for a cheaper solution everytime.  In the end, they "pay more" due to other issues.

luca.mg:
    when I say Avid it's like mentioning a thing of the past: does it still exist? Can it really handle HD?

This sounds like mis-informed clients and if they are that far out of the loop of current technology, then they shouldn't even have an argument for or against what you use.  I was recently trying to convince a producer that we could use my home system for a job instead of farming it out to another post house and so I told him..."I have Media Composer in my home office, etc"  He replied with... "I am taking it to (posthouse) Productions. They have their own editor and Avid system, which this has to be cut on to stay consistent with (client's) system in the event of changes in the future."  I quickly replied... "But, Media Composer IS an Avid system."  He said... "ah, good to know", but he still went to the other post house because he had already booked them.

luca.mg:
    plenty of colleagues who didn't grow up editing on Avid, who invested less money on their equipments, who can therefore charge less than I can. Should I charge 3 times as much just because Avid is charging me 3 times as much?

Another point, no one should ever charge a dime less than what their SKILL is worth, Your price should never ever be based on what equipment you own or do not own.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Dec 10 2008 12:56 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,317
    • Points 96,135

Kenton.VanNatten:
    no one should ever charge a dime less than what their SKILL is worth, Your price should never ever be based on what equipment you own or do not own.

That raises another point in this (seemingly interminable) discussion.  How many people posting here charge for their equipment as well as their time?  It appears to me that if you're only charging for your time and absorbing the cost of your equipment yourself, then Kenton's point is valid.  If you're passing on the cost of your equipment in your billing (as you should) there's an additional argument for lower equipment costs.

Post company A charges X dollars for the labor costs on a given project and Y dollars for the equipment, while company B charges X dollars and 3Y dollars.  Given equivalent skill levels, who would you choose?  Obviously that's a gross oversimplification, but you take my point.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 16 of 19 (284 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller