Latest post Tue, Aug 19 2008 12:58 AM by bartoli. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 11 2008 6:09 PM

Dell T5400 vs HP XW8600

Hi

I have been using HPs for Avid since 2004, starting with the XW8000. I currently have XW8400s but plan to upgrade to Nitris DX and HP XW8600s. My IT department gets great deals with Dells, and is on my case about wanting to go with HP once again.

Perhaps I am not giving Dell the credit they deserve. Can anyone share there experience with Dell (certified config) running Media Composer vs HP? My reseller always stears me away from Dell, but I am interested in how they actually perform.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

5 x HP XW8400 Dual 3ghz dual-core. Adrenaline DnxHD hardware. Facilis Terrablock fiber storage. [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Aug 11 2008 8:43 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,429
    • Points 18,355

Re: Dell T5400 vs HP XW8600

I have a Dell Precision 490 to Avid spec (before MC 3 was released).  It was running Xpress Pro 5.2 with analog Mojo without a single problem for nearly the past year, and now it's running MC 3.0 with the Analog Mojo without a problem.  The 490 is no longer on the list of approved systems (it was until MC 3.0 was released), but this thing still screams.

I would have preferred an HP (bigger case, more room to work inside, etc...) but it was out of the budget when we bought.  So far, I've been incredibly happy with how this this machine has performed

Non-Avid related, I've also had Dell computers for my home/word/emailing system for the last few years.  My wife has an older Dell laptop she's passing on to me, has a new one coming to her in the mail, and our old Dell desktop got turned into a Tivo.  They still run fine and I never had a problem with any of them. 

Michael.

• Mon, Aug 11 2008 11:11 PM In reply to

Thanks for the info. How is Dell's support? if there is a problem with one of my HPs, HP sends a tech over the next day.

5 x HP XW8400 Dual 3ghz dual-core. Adrenaline DnxHD hardware. Facilis Terrablock fiber storage. [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Aug 12 2008 1:44 AM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,429
    • Points 18,355

Honestly, I don't know how their support is.  I've been lucky and never had to call them. 

I know that HP has great support on their business side.  We had a problem with our 8200 at my last job and it was fixed immediately.  Just like you said--sent a tech over with all parts for a full replacement if necessary and had it running in no time.

Hopefully someone else with Dell support experience can chime in.

Michael.

• Sat, Aug 16 2008 5:40 AM In reply to

• BlearyEyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 6
    • Points 130

Dell and HP support is all about talking to india or the philipenes.

We have recently purchased 2 HPxw8400s and I had a configuration problem. I did not get support worth beans. I had some india guy argue with me and I spent the good part of a week trying to get a simple answer out of him. I have a dell at home. At the time I purchased it nobody I talked to new much about it other than the scripts they have to read..So go figure. We have the on site support for the HPs but have not had to use it. I'm sure that dell has the same kind of support if you buy it. Personally I think the HPs are made better. The Dells are cheaper.

Having said that my home dell has been great

Sorry this is not a definitive answer.

• Mon, Aug 18 2008 11:32 PM In reply to

Thanks for the info. Depending on the purchase price, I may have to go with Dell, even though I would rather go HP. It's good to know there aren't any obvious major problems, just cheaper parts.

• Tue, Aug 19 2008 12:58 AM In reply to

• bartoli
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 21
    • Points 225

Dell support can be horrible.  However, there is a solution.  When you purchase you machine and the warrenty get Complete Care 365 next day service, etc and upgrade to Silver Support.  It costs about $100.00 extra but it insures you go to a smarter, more quilified support representative and problems a dealt with mich more smoothly.  Well worth the money.

And for what it is worth, I have run many AVID's on Dells and they have always worked like a charm.  They actually make quite a good computer.

Barton

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller