Latest post Sun, Aug 10 2008 5:33 PM by smyers63. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 9 2008 6:20 PM

• jhTom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 6 2008
    • Posts 37
    • Points 505

MC hangs when during startup at Initializing ACPL Effects

I'm having problem start up MC on my HP laptop with 4GB of RAM running Vista 64bit OS. MC starts up fine if I delete the C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Avid folder. After MC runs fine and created the Avid folder as shown above, MC no longer runs again until I delete the Avid folder in the user's AppDataRoaming folder again. Any idea why? I'm using a user name that has local administrator previliage as well. So I'm not sure why MC is not working if the Avid folder is there.

Help is appreciated.

• Sat, Aug 9 2008 11:44 PM In reply to

Re: MC hangs when during startup at Initializing ACPL Effects

I believe that error indicates a problem with the video driver.  What card & driver are you using?  I get the same error running MC v3.0 on my MBP Bootcamp.

Symphony 8.0 w/Matrox MXO2 Rack, HP z420, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 & nVidia... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ Discovery Studios West
    (wwld)

• Sun, Aug 10 2008 1:48 AM In reply to

• jhTom
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 37
    • Points 505

Thanks for your response. I have NIVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS as my video card. Do I need any specific drivers or what?

• Sun, Aug 10 2008 1:57 AM In reply to

There are currently 2 threads running which discuss this.  Basically, the Avid doesn't recognise your card.  There are 2 fixes that might work (at least they worked for me):

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/61507.aspx

Download software here:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/RivaTuner-Download-6867.html

And,

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/59113.aspx

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Sun, Aug 10 2008 3:14 AM In reply to

• jhTom
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 37
    • Points 505

Thanks so much! That seems to solve the problem for now.

• Sun, Aug 10 2008 5:52 AM In reply to

Which fix worked?

Symphony 8.0 w/Matrox MXO2 Rack, HP z420, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 & nVidia... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ Discovery Studios West
    (wwld)

• Sun, Aug 10 2008 5:33 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,408
    • Points 40,305
    • Moderator: MCA PC

I've meant to reply in one of these threads for a while but haven't had a chance.  I've been doing some testing on unsupported systems for Avid since May.

For me, using an Nvidia 8800GT (XFX brand), either of the two fixes I found in the forum have worked.  I chose setting Threaded Optimization off in the Nvidia control panel over setting the OpenGL revision string to 1.5 using RivaTuner so that I could make use of OpenGL 2.1 on the card.  I didn't like forcing OpenGL 1.5 in MC (and any other programs I might use).  Threaded Optimization may have no effect with the 8800GT.  I think that setting is for multi-GPU cards and the 8800GT isn't one.

All the OpenGL effects have been working as expected with this 8800GT.

When I tested an ATI HD 3870 (Diamond brand), it only showed either 0MB or 8MB of texture memory in the Boris CC test and either some or none of the OpenGL effects worked because of that.  Which ones worked or didn't depended upon how much texture memory was available.  That changed intermittently from one test to the next with no changes to the system.  Usually, the only OpenGL effect which would not work was the 3D Extruded Image Shatter effect but I wanted all the effects to work all the time.

Initially, I was using an Nvidia 7600GT (EVGA brand) with MC 2.8 and later 3.0 with no trouble.  No fixes were needed to make it work.  I also soft-modded the 7600GT into a Quadro FX 560 and had no problems.  I've used MC 2.8 and 3.0 on a Vista laptop which has an Nvidia 7000M GPU with no problems other than with 2.8 I may have had to use XP compatibility mode to install and/or run MC.  Also, Sonic DVDit shipped with MC 2.8 would not install on Vista.

Sys. 1: ECS C51GM-M motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Professional(64-bit), EVGA Geforce GT430 1GB, Pioneer DVR-A09XL, LG... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller