Latest post Wed, Aug 27 2008 9:45 PM by HamNCheese. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 1 2008 9:10 AM

• Playant
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 23 2008
    • Hollywood, CA
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Avid error on its startup screen

I get this annoying "Avid Editor has stopped working and Windows will notify you if a solution is available" message.  This hapens as Avid M/C is initializing.  I can't even think about starting an edit because I can't access the Avid software past this point.  I edit at home and just upgraded my Windows Vista to Ultimate from basic (due to another AVID platform, ProTools, needing that upgrade).  I know Vista is the devil on most Windows machines compared to XP but downgrading seemed to be a hopeless process, so I quit trying.  My video card is NVIDIA 8800, which is one of their top gaming cards...so I know I have to be able to process AVID. 

Please help, I'm so lost n confused!  LOL...but seriously I am!  What's wrong with my system?  Updates?  Drivers?  What?!! 

My specs:

Avid Media Composer 3.0 (PC)

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1

AMD AThlon 64 X2 Dual Processor 5400+2.8Ghz

4GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

32 bit Operating System (Can't run 64 bit b/c not all Avid products support this)

2 SATA internal drives about 420 free GBs of space.

Avid Media Composer 3.0 (PC) Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 AMD AThlon 64 X2 Dual Processor 5400+2.8Ghz 4GB Ram NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 32 bit Operating System... [view my complete system specs]

AP

• Fri, Aug 1 2008 9:11 AM In reply to

• Playant
    • Not Ranked
    • Hollywood, CA
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Re: Avid error on its startup screen

All HELP is overly appreciated!

Avid Media Composer 3.0 (PC) Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 AMD AThlon 64 X2 Dual Processor 5400+2.8Ghz 4GB Ram NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 32 bit Operating System... [view my complete system specs]

AP

• Fri, Aug 1 2008 9:47 AM In reply to

Hi,

I'm assuming this system has never run correctly and you're trying to get it going for the first time?  If you look at the bottom of the splash screen that comes up when you try and start Media Composer, can you see what it is doing right before the error?

If you take a look at the system requirements for Media Composer, you'll see some issues.

1. AMD is not supported (Intel only).
    2. Vista Ultimate is not supported (Vista Business or XP Professional only).
    3. GeForce cards are not supported (Quadro FX only).

So the answer to "What's wrong with my system?" is "It doesn't meet the system requirements."  I'm sorry I don't have better news.

If you search around the forums, you can find some threads about modding the GeForce card to run as a Quadro FX card, but there's no workaround for the processor or OS.

Good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer | Software (8.1) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Aug 7 2008 3:32 AM In reply to

Hello Playant and THANKS CARL!!!

I'm in the same boat with MC 3.0... I just purchased a Dell XPS420 built to the specs Avid requires. The only deviation is, it has Vista Ultimate, NVIDIA G9800 not the FX series and a Core 2 duo CPU not a Dual Quad.

The crash is, as you say, right at the startup when it's trying to load, access, or whatever, the ACPL Effects. It says, "Avid editor has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".

Typical of a computer it will run for days before I click the Close Program button.

To all the great people on these forums... Please don't take the attitude that we (Playant, me or any other newbie) are a threat or not professional. I have a degree in Video Production, run one of twenty-nine audio studios for a nation-wide nonprofit organization, and have been saving my pennies to get the best editing system I've ever used.

Well Playant… I guess its downgrade to Business, Upgrade to nVidia Quadro FX3700 and, most unfortunate for you and perhaps me… new CPU's.

Lots of Luck!!!

Mikey

My system specs:

Intel Core 2 duo Processor E8500  3.16GHz  with 6MB cache

4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz

Nvidia GeForce 9800GT

1 TB  (Dual  500GB  Serial ATA II RAID 0)

Vista SP1 Ultimate 32-bit

McAfee Security Center

• Thu, Aug 7 2008 3:43 AM In reply to

"... I have a degree in Video Production, run one of twenty-nine audio studios for a nation-wide nonprofit organization ..."

Wink  Gosh, with those credentials, I'm surprised you'd say something as silly as ...

"My video card is NVIDIA 8800, which is one of their top gaming cards...so I "know" I have to be able to process AVID ..."

Meanwhile, welcome to the forums.  You also might want to turn off McAfee until things are running correctly.

Symphony 8.0 w/Matrox MXO2 Rack, HP z420, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 & nVidia... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ Discovery Studios West
    (wwld)

• Thu, Aug 7 2008 3:59 AM In reply to

Thanks for the welcome Randall.  And just an FYI, you had me mistaken with someone else with the comment about the gaming card, I didnt' say that, someone in a post prior to mine made that comment. 

• Thu, Aug 7 2008 4:07 AM In reply to

Sorry 'bout that ... the thread got kinda hijacked.

Symphony 8.0 w/Matrox MXO2 Rack, HP z420, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 & nVidia... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ Discovery Studios West
    (wwld)

• Thu, Aug 7 2008 8:02 AM In reply to

• Playant
    • Not Ranked
    • Hollywood, CA
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Very helpful and to the point reply...Thanks CAMO!

AP

• Thu, Aug 7 2008 8:05 AM In reply to

• Playant
    • Not Ranked
    • Hollywood, CA
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Sorry about the top gaming card comment RANDALL but thanks for the welcome!  I was just venting and got a lil carried away.  I know I can always have a better card BUT mine is far from trash...when it's not trying to run AVID!Yes 

AP

• Thu, Aug 7 2008 8:13 AM In reply to

Playant:
    I edit at home and just upgraded my Windows Vista to Ultimate from basic (due to another AVID platform, ProTools, needing that upgrade). 
    Do you have Protools (7.4 for Vista?) and MC on the same PC?  If so I think this is a likely cause of your problem.

Please make Enter Slip and Enter Slide mode selection available for mapping (to buttons or KB) via the Command Palette.

• Thu, Aug 7 2008 9:01 AM In reply to

• Solopost
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • California
    • Posts 1,566
    • Points 18,040

"To all the great people on these forums... Please don't take the attitude that we (Playant, me or any other newbie) are a threat or not professional."

No-one actually took any attitude. Everything was stated very matter-of-fact. You were the one who adopted an attitude with your "THANKS CARL!!" - and the above statement.

"The only deviation is, it has Vista Ultimate, NVIDIA G9800 not the FX series and a Core 2 duo CPU not a Dual Quad."

Only? The OS and the Video card would be pretty large deviations... although your CPU is fine. And no-one questioned your credentials.. I don't think they are relevant in regards to the system you are using either.

"I know I can always have a better card BUT mine is far from trash...when it's not trying to run AVID!"

True.. far from trash (for games). But Avid it is trash Yes - although try a search, as suggested, as some folks do get their home-builds running fine too.

SYS# 1- MC6.5 Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core Intel 3.2Ghz 18Gb Ram OS 10.7.5 2Tb storage (mixed SATA/1394/1394b) SYS# 2- MC6.5 Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (mid-2009) 4Gb... [view my complete system specs]

My Two Cents .02
    Kent Brockman

• Thu, Aug 7 2008 6:40 PM In reply to

• Playant
    • Not Ranked
    • Hollywood, CA
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

I do have ProTools 7.4 and Avid MC on the same cpu.  How is THIS causing the problem?  I'm confused...it seems like they'd work together almost, seeing as how AVID makes them both.  I'm sure I'm not the only guy who utilizes both programs.  They had to have thought of this?!  I truly depise Vista, so maybe it's Microsoft's problem.  Thanks for the input, either way, Andrew...it's not your fault!

AP

• Thu, Aug 7 2008 6:44 PM In reply to

• Playant
    • Not Ranked
    • Hollywood, CA
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Thanks Kent/solopost.  Point taken.  I'll NEVER give up hope!  Hopefully SOMEHOW, I'll have a breakthrough for my system and all will be working flawlessly.  I'll deal with my "inferior" cpu and frickin' NVIDIA card...until I can search for a fix or buy another cpu...specifically for AVID!

Have a great day man...thanks for the reply!

AP

AP

• Thu, Aug 7 2008 6:54 PM In reply to

The Pro Tools/Media Composer 3.0 conflict was discovered within days after the introduction of 3.0. Hopefully at some point the conflict will be solved, but for now, no Pro Tools on the MC 3.0 platform.

For all newbies who want to get Media Composer 3.0, CAREFULLY CHECK THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR COMPUTER! Avid software is by no means a generic, "one size fits all" product. It's one of the most demanding applications ever written for a desktop environment and it pushes your computer right to it performance limits, hence the very specific hardware and OS requirements.

Also, with Avid installed you leave the world of the personal computer and enter the world of the dedicated video editing workstation. And in PC land, that means NO internet, NO automatic updates, NO e-mail, NO anti-virus software running in the background and NO gaming. Avid is a memory and resource hog. Only install additional applications that directly support your workflow, like Photoshop, After Effects, Sorenson Squeeze, Blaze Media Pro Converter, SonicDVDit and the like. Lean and mean is the best way to go for stability and reliable performance.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Aug 7 2008 7:20 PM In reply to

• Playant
    • Not Ranked
    • Hollywood, CA
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Larry thanks for the reply.  I will HONESTLY save your reply and keep this "commitment" in mind when I build my next workstation.  It makes sense, I was just to green to have this wisdom.  Hopefully an update or something else will ease my pain a bit BUT your points are all well taken, though a bit depressing at the same time.  I really thought AVID would allow 2 of their own programs to hog a cpu TOGETHER but I see this isn't the case now!

Have a great day,

AP

AP

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller