Latest post Tue, Mar 12 2013 9:22 PM by mikedeprez. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 17 2008 11:11 PM

• kmac
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland New Zealand
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,340

bus error fix list

That "are you getting bus errors" thread is SOOOOO long, it takes an age to sift through it, so I thought I'd try to consolidate the main points everyone has contributed, tho most pertain to older systems than MC3, the problem appears to remain:

TODD

Go to any folder that has to do with the Avid (Projects folder, User Folder, Application folder, etc.) and open the permissions on each for read/write across the board. Change all of the groups to the Current user (In my case all of my folder's Group permissions changed from STAFF to todd) and give that user read/write. Then change the others tab to read/write as well. Apply this to all of the folder's contents.  Then lock the permissions.

DINO

I have been having a lot of trouble with this myself. Five Media Composer Adrenalines v 2.6.1 on Dual 2.7 G5s. All media and projects are on a Lanshare EX via ethernet. Changing the owner of the "shared" user from "system" to the active user does help. 

BLKDOG

As Todd says, bus errors are caused by a lot of factors, the error is generic and could refer to bigger problems in an individual's system. Bad media can cause this so open the permissions up wide on your drives and OMFI filders too to eliminate that as a possibility. Change read/write for the OMFI folders and their contents. 

3rd party plugs in 5.6.x can also cause these problems. A great deal of these issues have been worked out in the next release.

BLKDOG

Kangelis, like todd says, yo uneed to open up ALL of the permissions. Group, Owner and everyone. 

BILL NELSON

Now that I'm pushing my set-up (especially w/3rd party filters, eg. Red, Noise Ind.) I can invoke the bus errors.  I've reset permissions on every file/folder that Avid looks at to function, and repaired permissions, etc. 

In my case, if I never asked the app to do anything really tricky, I edit all day long, no worries.  When I load up the layers, use the non-Avid stuff, I'm joining this list.  

TODD

Not exactly Clan... if you apply these fixes to the very top folder that houses any Avid related files, like the editor settings, and click apply to all enclosed items and then lock it... all new items created within that folder will retain the permissions fix you've applied.

BLKDOG

Bill, Bis errors are not "One thing". It's not a single bug that you can squash. It's a generic error for a host of possibilities. If you are getting them that often, then you have some incompatibility that needs to be addressed. The errors are no less frequent on a Hardware system like Adrenaline simply for the virtue of having the Adrenaline DNA.

I've been getting a lot of them lately and I found out that I had a problem on my FW drive. Got the problem files cleaned off and no Bus errors in the last couple of days.

Bus errors, in my experienced are not just intrinsic parts of the Avid software. They definitely have a cause. You just have to sleuth them out.

BILL

when manipulating an image in either a third-party or MC effect,  I randomly encounter the bus thread error.  this particular timeline is filled w/DV50 media, and is about 18 min. long, but these errors are not confined to this one project.  Occasionally, when scrolling through the timeline too quickly, the error occurs.  when I'm a little too quick in interface commands, (think Meridien capability) I can cause bus thread errors. I've crashed out when using the red and yellow clip arrows.

I've identifed and carried out suggested permissions protocols on every software component of which I'm aware.  I'm running Boris, NI, and GenArts plug-ins, all of which have been 'permissioned'.  (is that a verb now?)

the only thing I haven't done yet is trash project prefs on every project I have. (thanks Todd!) So that's next, I suppose. 

BLKDOG

Your problems are related to your drive chain. I'd bet my life on it. The instances you just sited are all related to throughput.

Ok, well, first off, you are running an unsupported OS. Just asking for trouble. Not that I don't do the same thing but I really can't complain when things go wonky.

Also, mvegas, Randall? Give me a hand here. Wasn't the UL4D the preferred card for the G5s? Especially for the Avid Raid drives? I'm going back in memory here but I though the 4D was the card Avid recommended. 

In any event Bill, slot 4 is a 133MHZ slot while slot 2 is only 100MHZ. Give that a try.

RANDAL RIKE

"Wasn't the UL4D the preferred card for the G5s?"

Correct, supported 320MB/s drives & enclosures ... until PCI-e, then UL5D

SEDAVIS

UL4D is a very good and stable card for the G5...I can vouch for that in both MC Adrenaline and Xpress Pro systems.

BTW, I finally tried the permissions trick and have not had a Bus Error since. 

Knocking on wood while I say that of course....

2.7.3 gave me bus errors till I did the permissions trick, again, and reinstalled, doing the permissions trick (again). 

2.7.2 is tempting me.

KEVIN KLIMEK

We've seen MANY bus errors when rendering clips that involve timewarps.  Avid "officially" hasn't been able to replicate the issue, so it's not a bug per se.  Nonetheless, it's been a major pain for us since 2.6.x up through 2.7.3.

We have, however, found a work-around.  It appears that the Avid will crash after the FINAL render.  So, instead of just rendering one clip, we render two, and then cancel the second render.  In several days of using this method, I haven't had a crash.  It's lame and annoying, but it beats having to restart the application every five minutes.

My guess is that something screws up the Avid when it completes the render sequence and jumps back into editng mode.  Avid is looking into it, but without being able to replicate the issue, I'm not sure how long it will take until it's fixed.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this, or if this advice helps anyone else out there.

TODD

It's also possible one of the Avid projects is corrupted.  'Temporarily' move your Avid projects folder to the desktop.  Then boot the Avid.  Does it still fail?  If not... start putting the projects back, one by one, till the culprit is discovered.

MOOKY 69

Just ordered a SIIG Firewire 800 PCI-e card. Should do the trick ... Didn't see any specific Firewire card supported for Avid MC.

TODD

SIIG is what we put in all our machines as well.  They work great for us.  BLKDOG uses them as well.

TODD

I'd next try delting the offending projects settings file.  The .avs file.  Does this happen with all users?  Have you trying deleting the current user and creating a new one?

PIANOMAN72

You might try creating a new bin, new sequence and then copy-paste your current sequence into the new sequence. Then save the new bin and start working from there. 

I think your bin or sequence file(s) might be corrupted.

BLKDOG

Try this: 

Uninstall 2.7.5. Now go to library>receipts and delete anything there related to Avid. Then go to Library>Application Support and delete the avid and digidesign folders there. 

Now reinstall the Avid and repair permissions. 

See if things get better.

FANSFARE

Todd... Sorry I didn't get to see your post about the project check. I went ahead and Uninstalled MC and followed BLKDOG's permission changes but upon restarting I'm still crashing when I exit the project. I have since gone and checked into other projects and I'm not getting the Bus Error crash when I exit them. I guess (unless the reinstall fixed the other projects) that it's a corrupted problem in the main project I'm working in. Does this mean I have to create a new project and transfer the bins over at the finder level? thanks

BLKDOG

First try trashing the project's .avs setting file. See if that stops the crashing. If not, You probably will be better off creating a new project.

FANSFARE

Trashing the .avs didn't do the trick but creating a new project and dragging the bins across did. Everything is running fine. 

TODD

I was bus erroring 6-8 times a day after going to 2.7.5.  Re-loading the newest UL5D drivers and ROM flash seriously smoothed things out, but nonetheless I crashed once yesterday in the afore mentioned fashion.

BLKDOG

jdw...did you try updating your ATTO Drivers as described in this thread: 

http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/thread/283629.aspx 

We are slowly discovering that, if you are running x.7.5, you MUST update the drivers.

PIERREH

I got a couple of bus errors yesterday. What was I doing different from the other days (6 weeks) without bus errors? Well, I was working with the Audio Tool opened as I spent some time ajusting levels. 

It's not the first time I notice that I get bus errors when I left (or forgot) that window opened.

ANOMALY7

Not sure if this has been posted by may shed some light on the whole bus error/segmentation thread error/ situation. 

I am running MC 2.8 with Mojo on a Quad G5. I have been getting bus errors non stop for about 9 months now. I tried all the tricks with permissions and what have you but I am still getting them. Then I heard something... 

Maybe it's the Mojo? 

Really? So I unplug Mojo and let AVID run solo for a day and guess what? No errors. Smooth as a baby's behind. I plug Mojo in today...ZAP! error ridden. 

So my question is...is there a firmware update that solves this or does AVID realize that it's Mojo is causing the errors? At least that's how it is on my machine. For those of you without a Mojo I guess it could be related to a permissions thing, but for those of you with one, try unplugging it. 

Just a little insight, 

Sean 

BLKDOG

Well, if ya wanna get technical, you would have to have a Mojo or DNA attached to get Bus errors (Usually) as a bus error is a conflict in an I/O bus (like FW or SATA). 

So, if you don't have any traffic on any of the I/O busses, you should not see these errors.

TODD

It happens on G5's and as well.  It is a direct result of the DNA as BLKDOG said and reference will not fix it, though you should have it anyway.  The only things I have seen reduce the issue are faster drives, new projects, new media and permissions repair.  That said, nothing currently fixes it completely.

CLS105

I can't believe that people even talk about disconnecting hardware.  Do you really expect people to not use their $2,600 dollar hardware that they purchased.  I appreciate all suggestions, but I'm looking for another solution.  The people that i work with dont want to watch footage on a small quicktime window next to me or on avids full screen playback, they want to watch it on a broadcase monitor.  I used xpress pro for years before MC 2.x (used meridiens in the past) and never remember all this instability.  All suggestions appreciated. -c

TODD

I'm not suggesting that at all.  My DNA cost in excess of 25K... I'm damn well using it.  I'm suggesting that you repair your permissions correctly, use good drives that are striped correctly, read through this 'entire' thread for other suggestions and manage your projects if BUS errors seem to attack on certain sequences or clips.  I get 4 or 5 a week on average right now.  If I hit a problem clip over and over again, I delete the media and re-capture it.  If I hit a problem effect, I delete the effect and re-create it.  But this rarely happens to me.  Same goes for projects, sequences and users.  I don't like it either, but that's where we are today.  Manage it as best you can and keep moving forward.

DIGITALDENIAL

Staying with 4.8.4 doesn't help me satisfy my client's desire to shoot in HD and deliver in SD. So my choices are: 1. Stay at 4.8.4 and remain on a stable, rock-solid system and quite possibly lose a major client because I can't accommodate a reasonable request to shoot in HD and deliver in SD for now. 2. Upgrade my AVID "qualified system" to dead-end XP 5.8 and likely have business paralyzing bus errors. 3. Upgrade my AVID "qualified system" to MC 2.8 and (from reading this thread) definitely have business paralyzing bus errors. Not much of a choice is it, or am I missing something?

BLKDOG

Hi all,

I was wondering if some of you might want to try an experiment with me. It's recently been theorized that FW throughput could be greatly enhanced by a flush of the PMU or SMU settings on the motherboard.

On Monday I am going to open up my G5 and reset my SMU to see if my Bus errros get better. Any of you who have problems in this area are welcome to join me and let's see if anything improves....

Instructions for doing this on the Mac Pros can be found here.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1806?viewlocale=en_US

BLKDOG

Do you have any plugs installed in the AVX2 folder @ Library>Application Support>Avid?

If so, first check the permissions on that folder, if that's not it, remove the plugs in that folder, trash it and try again

FSD

try to start and...same Error message

BLKDOG

Ok, then you are going to have to make sure that you do a clean install of the Tiger software (an archive and install should suffice) and then try the install of 3.0.1 again.

iMac 27inch Retina 5k, 4GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M395X OSX 10.11.13 Media Composer 8.5.3 with Symphony, DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]

Ninety thousand frames per hour

• Fri, Jul 18 2008 9:31 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,217
    • Points 14,730

Re: bus error fix list

Neat idea to put everything on one thread. One more thing - as Steve would say : I've noticed that the bus error almost disappeared (touch wood) since I stopped using Firewire harddrives. I've been running for months with no hiccups on 2.8.3 on MacPro with internal Sata drives and no FW at all.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 18 2008 9:40 PM In reply to

FW is the devils invention....

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Sun, Jul 20 2008 10:31 PM In reply to

• kmac
    • Not Ranked
    • Auckland New Zealand
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,340

Todd Sanderson:

FW is the devils invention....

I thought Apple invented it? What are you saying dude??  :)

iMac 27inch Retina 5k, 4GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M395X OSX 10.11.13 Media Composer 8.5.3 with Symphony, DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]

Ninety thousand frames per hour

• Tue, Jul 22 2008 2:18 PM In reply to

• SPost
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 39
    • Points 565

thanks a lot - kmac !!

• Tue, Mar 12 2013 9:22 PM In reply to

Great to have this all in one thread.  Agreed permissions and FW drives seem to be the main cause.  By happenstance I discovered a way to "fix" the problem most of the time when other efforts didn't work.  Open a different project that is working, open the troubled bin and one of the sequences or clips within the new different project.  If it opens in the new project, save, close it and re attempt opening in the previous error prone project.  Works for me most of the time.  This way you don't have to recreate the original project and all the bins and work.   This Has worked for me many times when all else has failed including creating new settings, changing permisions, etc.  For lack of a better term, it feels like it "cleans" the trouble sequence or clip so it works in the old project.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller