Latest post Wed, Jul 16 2008 9:51 AM by ToddS. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 1 2008 1:28 AM

• ToddS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 25 2008
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 220
    • Points 2,835

HELP: Setting up a Raid 0

I just purchased two Hitachi Deskstar® E7K500 sata II drives. 7200rpm, 2(500gb),

I just need some help. 

Now, in order to strip these suckers to get faster performance, what do you suggest for an enclosure?  Does the enclosure matter for speed and performance? 

What cables do I need?  Is there an option?  If so, which cables are better?

As you can see, I am completely in over my head.

Any help would be appreciated,

Todd

Intel Core i5 processor: 3.20 GHz, 1Gig NVIDIA GeForce GTX 220, 8gb DDR3 Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 1 2008 1:45 AM In reply to

• ravidedit
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 24 2005
    • Northern Virginia/D.C.
    • Posts 667
    • Points 8,355

Re: HELP: Setting up a Raid 0

can you hook them up internally in your computer or do they have to be in external enclosures?

2 MC DX Nitris, Pro Tools HD [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 1 2008 1:52 AM In reply to

• ToddS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 220
    • Points 2,835

I think I can hook them up internally.  Would that be better?  Can I still stripe them internally?

Intel Core i5 processor: 3.20 GHz, 1Gig NVIDIA GeForce GTX 220, 8gb DDR3 Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 1 2008 1:56 AM In reply to

• ravidedit
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 24 2005
    • Northern Virginia/D.C.
    • Posts 667
    • Points 8,355

yes you can stripe them internally.  As long as you have two sata II ports on your mother board and two sata II cables.  Once they are hooked up you can stripe them together in windows disk management as a striped pair

2 MC DX Nitris, Pro Tools HD [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 1 2008 1:59 AM In reply to

• ToddS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 220
    • Points 2,835

I am pretty sure I have those ports.  I will confirm it right now.  Would it be better to do this internally - speed wise? 

Also, how do I stripe them, once they are in.  Can I do it on the bios menu?

• Tue, Jul 1 2008 2:02 AM In reply to

• ToddS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 220
    • Points 2,835

Are sata II ports different than sata ports?

• Tue, Jul 1 2008 2:28 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,381
    • Points 96,975

Yes they can be, but any recent motherboard with SATA support should actually be SATA II.  It's quite hard to find SATA I hardware anywhere.  The result is that just like with the USB standard where people tend to use the term USB to mean USB 2, SATA can with reasonable safety be assumed to refer to SATA II.

You may also find that you're motherboard if it has more than two SATA ports may actually already have RAID support built in.  When booting up check your BIOS settings to see if this is the case.  For example, on one of my systems under "Integrated Peripherals" I have a menu entry titled "SATA RAID/AHCI Mode".

On my BIOS it defaults to "Disabled", and in that mode there's absolutely no indication while booting that there is RAID support.  When this is set to RAID, as part of the boot process there is suddenly the option to launch a RAID utility.  The utility allows the setup of any or all SATA drives as RAID 0, 1, 5 or 10.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 1 2008 2:56 AM In reply to

• ToddS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 220
    • Points 2,835

Yes, I do have sata ports.  I am going to take my other 2 hdd out and put these in.  Also, there are two options on the cables wires.  one white with 4 wholes or the black.  Is there a better one?

Thanks,

Todd

• Tue, Jul 1 2008 3:10 AM In reply to

• AquaPix
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 16 2006
    • UK
    • Posts 447
    • Points 5,545

jwrl:
    When this is set to RAID, as part of the boot process there is suddenly the option to launch a RAID utility

You might have to press crtl + I to open the RAID setup utility (after you changed the BIOS to RAID).

If they are setup as a RAID in windows disk management they'll be a software RAID. This will use extra CPU power. If you have a hardware RAID controller (check in your windows "device manager"), I suggest you use it.

Check on the website from the vendor of your motherboard what software or driver you need, but most likely it'll already be installed on your system.

MC3.0.5, QT7.4.5, Vista Business x64, Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3.4GHz, Asus P5K Mobo, 8GB RAM (OCZ Reaper @ 950MHz DDR II), GeForce 8800GTX (multithreading... [view my complete system specs]

Andy Lange www.aquapix.tv

• Tue, Jul 1 2008 3:15 AM In reply to

• AquaPix
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 447
    • Points 5,545

MovieMaker76:
    Also, there are two options on the cables wires.  one white with 4 wholes or the black

The white one is your power connector and the black one (L shaped) is your SATA connector.

You need to connect them both.

BTW you need to select RAID 0 to stripe your disks together as one big (fast) disk. RAID 1 or 5 is going to mirror them (for instant backup, no speed gain).

MC3.0.5, QT7.4.5, Vista Business x64, Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3.4GHz, Asus P5K Mobo, 8GB RAM (OCZ Reaper @ 950MHz DDR II), GeForce 8800GTX (multithreading... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jul 1 2008 3:25 AM In reply to

• AquaPix
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 447
    • Points 5,545

MovieMaker76:
    I am going to take my other 2 hdd out and put these in

Just realised that you probably plan to only have the two striped 500GB drives in your machine.

If you have your OS and Avid installed on it, then you should not use it as a media drive.

I suggest you leave one of the old drives in there and use it as your system drive (with your OS and Avid) and use you RAID array as the media drive.

Avid needs to write back and read from the system drive during playback. Since the media has to be read at the same time, it should reside on another drive (not just a different partition!).

So if you have enough space, try to put all three drives into your PC case. If you don't have enough space I suggest you just get another tower case. They are cheap these days. Definitely cheaper than an external RAID casing with designated hardware controller.

• Tue, Jul 1 2008 4:01 AM In reply to

• ToddS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 220
    • Points 2,835

thank you, I have quick question.  When I try to change on the raid configuration on my bios screen - it is saying non-raid drives. - But, they are.  I don't understand.

• Tue, Jul 1 2008 6:17 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,381
    • Points 96,975

Once you enable RAID in the BIOS you've then got to set up the drives to be members of a RAID array.  That's what the RAID utility allows you to do, but you usually have to deliberately launch it.  In the case of my system, this is done by pressing Ctrl-I when prompted.  There's little point in my going further, because your RAID utility may be quite different to mine.  You should check the manual that should have come with your motherboard.

You may also need to install a software driver for Windows to recognise the RAID array once you've set it up.  If it's necessary this should have been provided with the motherboard software.  I've never had to, and it's usually only required when you want to boot Windows from your RAID array anyway - not something that you're doing.

Also, AquaPix may have misled you about the power connectors to your SATA drives.  Some SATA drives have two means of applying power, a four-pin older type of connector and a newer L-shaped one.  You should use one or the other, but definitely not both.  There is also a smaller L-shaped connector at the left-hand end of the connector panel as you look at the hard drive from the back with the circuit board facing down.  That is the data connector and should be connected via a SATA cable to your motherbaord.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 1 2008 7:54 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 754
    • Points 9,340

From painful (non avid PC) experience - dont install the OS on a raid drive.  Typical issues i've had include:

OS doesn't recognise RAID during clean install without manufaturer specific raid boot disk

manufactures frequently put out of date boot disk utils on their motherboard setup disks that (in 3 cases I've had) simply dont work.  You'll be trawling the mobo web site for the correct install disk files

many new PCs have no floppy drives - more pain in making the OS install disk see the USB ports or you'll need a different bootable CDROM

When fixing a broken boot OS raid setup you'll have to repeat all of the above to get it going again - keep all the up-to-date disks and files in a safe place or your going nowhere when your system dies

Once OS is installed adding RAID to other drives is pretty straight forward.  Ususally as stated earlier in this post - activate the RAID ability from main bios, setup RAID from RAID bios (different boot up keystrokes) and add RAID drivers to OS from modo install disk.  Never had problems with these driver files, only the boot creation versions!

Assuming your going for speed - RAID 0 has no redundancy and is twice as likely to fail - keep the media here 'cos you can always re-capture.  OS and Avid, pain to re-install if you have to and all those settings you'll lose.

Drive warnings!  Make sure your power supply is up to the job.  Assuming you have an non raid boot disk as well you are now running 3+HDDS, vid, audio CPU, fans, RAM etc and your 450~650 will be stretched possibly.  Again, the boot RAID path will lead you into the bog quicker here.  With a non boot RAID you'd have the option of disconnecting the RAID drives to power up and check the OS is OK - with your boot RAID you'll need it all. (quite apart from media shouldn't be on the boot disks anyway...)

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Tue, Jul 1 2008 8:43 AM In reply to

• ToddS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 220
    • Points 2,835

Thank you all.  My problem now is that I was able to set it up, but windows will not boot.  It keeps jumping back to the matrox setup screen with the drives.  It says that the raid drive is normal and bootable, but eveything stinkin time I try to start windows, it jumps back to this screen.  So, startup just continues to fail over and over again.

Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller