Latest post Mon, Apr 9 2018 2:31 PM by Kevin Klimek. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 27 2008 6:53 AM

• paul b
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,325

Strange Unity Mac (Error Code -36)

I've encountered a strange problem when archiving a project.  I can't copy any files if they've lived on the Unity at any point in the workflow.

Much of the archive consists of uncompressed QTs of stock footage--actually there are a few hundred files. Additionally  I output all video tracks in the final project to Photo JPG.  At one point, all of these files were on Unity 5 volumes--even though they were not all OMF or MXF files.  The entire project (MXF, QTs, Composer Project,etc) was copied to an Iomega firewire drive a few months ago--the CPU for that system was an Intel Mac.  Now I'm trying to copy the contents of that Iomega to my own FW drives--my CPU is an PPC G5.

With a few exceptions, the vast majority of any of the files, regardless of file format, cannot be copied.  I get (Error Code -36).  I simply cannot get these files off of this borrowed Iomega FW drive onto my own drives.

At one point a few months ago, I reinstalled the project from the borrowed Iomega back onto the Unity.  There was no problem whatsoever copying off of the FW drive BACK TO the Unity during that time.  I made changes to the project and re-archived back onto the same Iomega drive.  I have bits and pieces from both times I archived to the Iomega.  No luck in any event.  Nothing can be copied off that Iomega Drive.

Is this a Mac question or a Unity question?   Of course I tried messing around with the permissions, but I can't even see the drive in Disk Utility. Please help, this is really messed up.

Best WIshes and Thanks,

paul b.

MC 5.5.3 & MC 6.5 MacPro Nehalem 8-core Avid Nitris DX Sonic Fusion 8TB E-Sata Raid 5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 27 2008 11:16 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Strange Unity Mac (Error Code -36)

A -36 error means that there is an interruption in the data flow between the source drive and the host computer. That can be caused by a failing drive, a bad cable ore even a bad bridge board. Something in the drive chain is preventing data from being read from that drive.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Jun 27 2008 2:04 PM In reply to

I've also seen corrupted files cause the issue and I myself experienced a bad power supply causing this error message just yesterday when trying to copy files.

MC 8.6.1, Mojo DX, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Fri, Jun 27 2008 2:06 PM In reply to

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/59932.aspx

Here's another recent thread dealing with the same error message.

MC 8.6.1, Mojo DX, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Fri, Jun 27 2008 5:16 PM In reply to

• paul b
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,325

As always, thanks.  I overlooked something obvious.  This is a new configuration of my edit console.  I'm using a 15 foot cable between the CPU and the first FW drive, and then 2 footers to link the other two FW drives.  I don't typically use these FW drives--this the first time they've been turned on with this long cable

However, there's a very good reason I'm attempting to use a 15' cable and life would be simpler if that worked.  Any suggestions?  How some kind of booser at the 7' mark?  The G-Raid drives appear to work.

Anyway . . . I connected the drive in question with a shorter cable and it appears to have copied everything.  Thanks again people,  please let me know if you have any idea how I can make this 15' work.

MC 5.5.3 & MC 6.5 MacPro Nehalem 8-core Avid Nitris DX Sonic Fusion 8TB E-Sata Raid 5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 7 2018 2:16 AM In reply to

You should try to move your files with the aid of other mediums leaving finder. Copying files in the finder, which is a very simple way. While copying files to the finder there are numbers or permission and checks asked to ensure that the process is being correctly done.

Maybe you'll find some help here.

https://www.errorsolutions.tech/error/mac-error-code-36/

• Mon, Apr 9 2018 2:31 PM In reply to

Julia, you just resurrected a 10-year old post.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller