Latest post Wed, Jun 18 2008 3:44 PM by danielm. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 17 2008 9:55 PM

• danielm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 23 2007
    • Denver, Colorado
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

Export bin log w/o handle, name as 3rd column

Software:

a) Logging program which came with Avid v.2.2.7.

b) Adobe Premiere 6

We have been using the Avid Log tool in a logging room to create bins for capture in our Avid rooms.  The producers have asked if they can use the same bins to export a file for use in the Adobe Premiere system which the graphics artist uses.  With some work, I've been able to export a tab-delimited file with basic START END NAME information which the Premiere system can import, but there have been two problems:

1)  The "Handle" column (the column on the most-left which describes a clip as a master clip, subclip, sequence, etc) cannot be hidden.  It comes into the Premiere import as the bin name.

We've been able to work around this by having the loggers put only one source per bin, and to name the bin the source name.  The Premiere systems imports the "handle" column as the source.

2)but, the "Name" column will not stay put in the order I assign it in the bin.  I've made a custom bin view of "Handle" "Start" "End" "Name", but when we exit the bin or open a new bin, and apply the custom view, the "Name" column slides back next to the "Handle" column.  It seems the only way to fix it is to manually drag the "Name" column back to the right of the "End" column and apply the custom bin view again, which then deletes the empty space where the "Name" column used to be.

I've tried duplicating the "Name" column as another column field, but there isn't a way to hide the "Name" column either.

Is there an easier way to export an Avid bin via the tab-delimited format for use in an Adobe Premiere system?  I should mention the logging station nor the Premiere system can not have an office suite installed to massage the tab-delimited file, due to rights and user issues.

HP Workstation xs8200,dual Xeon 3.40 GHz. Nvidia Quadro FX 1400. Windows XP SP3. Avid Media Compose Adrenaline HD, Avid software 2.2.7. Quicktime version... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 18 2008 12:55 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

Re: Export bin log w/o handle, name as 3rd column

I use Open Office on my Avid to "massage" EDLs and other data.  I've also used PFE32 which is a good plain text editor with a comprehensive macro capability.  Both are free, neither have caused any issues.  While PFE ceased development in 1999, there isn't much wrong with it anyway.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 18 2008 3:44 PM In reply to

• danielm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 23 2007
    • Denver, Colorado
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

Re: Export bin log w/o handle, name as 3rd column

I'll give them a look at -- thanks!

HP Workstation xs8200,dual Xeon 3.40 GHz. Nvidia Quadro FX 1400. Windows XP SP3. Avid Media Compose Adrenaline HD, Avid software 2.2.7. Quicktime version... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller