Latest post Thu, Jun 12 2008 2:13 AM by jwrl. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 11 2008 1:55 AM

• ToddS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 25 2008
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 220
    • Points 2,835

Export as: Odd field or Even????

I am confused.  I have literally read contradicting information when exporting to DVD.

I have sorenson squeeze / but, I guess I am supposed to export as quicktime movie (reference isn't working anyway) - but that's another issue.

This is my question:

I want to export my video to a DVD (quicktime first?) - some say make sure you do odd field first or you will get tearing on the video - but, then a moment later I read the opposite.

So, odd or or even?

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Todd

Intel Core i5 processor: 3.20 GHz, 1Gig NVIDIA GeForce GTX 220, 8gb DDR3 Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 11 2008 3:40 AM In reply to

• ducktech2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 7 2008
    • New York City
    • Posts 123
    • Points 1,755

Re: Export as: Odd field or Even????

I always do the following:

-  Highlight all tracks in sequence, mark an in at the head, out at the end.

-  Export sequence as a Quicktime reference

-  Load Ref .mov into Sorenson

-  Drop on DVD (MPEG2) compression setting

-  Do lower fields first

-  Set the data rate to 7Mbps.  (DVD-R cannot handle the same data rates as pressed DVDs when playing back, keep your total data rate as close to 7Mbps as possible.  With audio I let it get up to 7.2Mbps MAX)

-  Squeeze it!

-  I get great results each time.

You said you are having issues with the QT ref?  What are the issues?

4-MC 6.5, Nitris DX, Windows 7 1-Symphony 6.5, Nitris DX, Windows 7 1-MC 5.5, Nitris DX, Vista 64 ISIS 5000 16TB [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 11 2008 4:19 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

I don't know whether this is your problem or not, but I've found that Squeeze doesn't like QTref when you use 10-bit codecs.  Try mixing down to an 8-bit DNxHD codec and see how you go.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 11 2008 6:18 AM In reply to

• ToddS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 220
    • Points 2,835

When I try to export as QT ref, it says that I have to export it as QT movie.

Thanks for the help!

Intel Core i5 processor: 3.20 GHz, 1Gig NVIDIA GeForce GTX 220, 8gb DDR3 Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 11 2008 7:53 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

If it's an HDV project you'll get this.  Squeeze can't handle the broken long-GOP streams that a QTref file presents to it.  Again the solution is to mix down to a codec like DNxHD before exporting.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 11 2008 8:38 AM In reply to

• a_j_ross
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 11 2008
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 25
    • Points 270

Just to add my 2 cents, it really depends on what fromat dvd you are trying to create, if its a ntsc dvd and your project is at 29.97 fps and SD then export your sequence lower field first.

if its a PAL SD project and you havent used the DV420 codec you can export it upper field first then create your Mpeg2 file from that.

if its a PAL projet and you imported it using the DV420 codec you'll have to transcode (or mixdown if you preffer) you sequence to a codec that supports upper field first (basicly all non "s" codecs and all non DV codecs are upper field first in a PAL project)

the upshot NTSC lower field first, PAL upper field first the problem with PAL is using the dv codec which encodes lower field first on both tv formats--- this reffers to SD projects

for an HD project I would switch my project to SD in the format option then transcode to an SD frame size then export.

• Wed, Jun 11 2008 2:56 PM In reply to

• ToddS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 220
    • Points 2,835

You're right.  It is an HDV project.  If I mixdown, will I lose quality?

I appreciate all of your help.

• Wed, Jun 11 2008 9:50 PM In reply to

• a_j_ross
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 11 2008
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 25
    • Points 270

yes you would lose quality, but DVD is a SD format any way, so at some point its going to get worse, and if bit rates are kept high most people would never notice the difference.

• Thu, Jun 12 2008 2:13 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,386
    • Points 97,010

MovieMaker76:
    It is an HDV project.  If I mixdown, will I lose quality?

Measured objectively, yes.  Subjectively?  Highly unlikely.  And as AJ says, you're subsequently going to go down to SD anyway, which will be a bigger quality drop than you'll see going to a codec like DNxHD.

I would recommend a mixdown to DNxHD 185 or 220, 8-bit.  Export a QTref file of that, and let Squeeze do the resize to SD as it does the MPEG compression.  My experience in the PAL world has been that gives better results than exporting SD from Avid.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller