Latest post Sun, Mar 13 2011 2:05 AM by hbrock. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 21 2008 3:58 PM

• slinkyboa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 21 2008
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

"Bus Error" in thread "Main Thread" at address 0x0 - Please Help

Hello - I feel like I'll promise you my first-born if someone can please tell me why this is happening and how to fix it. Please help! I need to work and this is killing me....

This error occurs every single time I try to open Avid, and sequentially closes immediately after the error appears. I am working off a Macbook 2GHz Intel, OS 10.4.11, Media Composer 2.8.0.

This error happened before and per a friend, I did the tip below and it worked. But my computer's hard drive died and I recently re-installed all software. The error is happening again but this trick is not working anymore:

It turns out you were right about MC not playing as nicely with macbooks as opposed to macbook pros. Something to do with the graphics card and how the program offloads the video. He recommended disabling the OpenGL on launch. So, when you start the program, hold down the "o" and "g" keys.

• Wed, May 21 2008 4:25 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: "Bus Error" in thread "Main Thread" at address 0x0 - Please Help

Well, that trick worked in an older version but, as you update your Software and OS, you may defeat yourself.

Bottom line, no Avid software is qualified for MacBook. We may be able to help you kludge it once  in a while  but, as  you choose to upgrade,  you may be shooting yourself in  the foot.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, May 21 2008 4:30 PM In reply to

• slinkyboa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 21 2008
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

What are you saying, exactly? Do you I need to downgrade and reinstall a 2.7 version? I cannot upgrade to Leopard due to other software incompatibilities. What's the solution?

• Wed, May 21 2008 4:35 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA PC

If I were you, I would stick with the software combo that  works if you want to use an unsupported platform.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, May 21 2008 4:53 PM In reply to

Gotta agree with the DOG... since the whole machine is unsupported, I really think you will need to stay on the config that was working and not upgrade.  The real solution is a MacBook Pro.  Then once MC 3 is released you can be running on Leopard and not be jumping through hoops to make the software work.

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Sat, Mar 12 2011 11:35 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

Okay, I'm getting this exact error on a Macbook Pro running 10.6.5. It was working perfectly fine in September on the same machine (My director's, by the way). We locked the picture and walked away from it for a few months. Now, of course, we're back and when I install Avid on his machine again, we get this message EVERy SINGLE TIME we try to run it.

What gives? It was working fine a while back.

I'm installing 5.0.3.8 onto a 15" Macbook Pro running 10.6.5. Again, it worked perfectly from May to September of last year. Now? Goose egg. Very frustrating.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 13 2011 2:05 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Try running a Repair Permissions using Disk Utility on both the Mac Book Pro and any drives connected to it.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller