Latest post Fri, Jul 15 2011 11:00 AM by Pat Horridge. 35 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 16 2010 9:19 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

Re: London?

Hi guys!! So when is the next london Avid user group meeting?Yes

• Sun, Jun 12 2011 5:01 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

Great! I'll see you then.

• Sun, Jun 12 2011 5:19 PM In reply to

Hi,

Haha.  I worked this for months in 2008 and 2009.  As you can see from this thread, there was some movement from Brenda Bergin, but when Avid let her go the whole thing died out.  After getting shuffled from one Avid office to another the answer was Avid UK was only interested in having a London User Group as long as it didn't cost them anything, as they didn't have the marketing budget to hire a venue.  I wasn't about to start shelling out my own money to run a marketing event for Avid, so I dropped the idea.  Once or twice since 2009 I've gotten an email from someone at Avid asking about a London UG, and whenever the discussion turns to money the discussion ends.

The last one of those discussions was in August 2010, and this is what I said:  "If today there's somebody at Avid UK who has the desire and the budget to create a London Avid User Group, I'm happy to get on board.  But if Avid UK isn't interested, neither am I, and by interested I don't mean they'll sit back while I find a place and a guest speaker and talk to Boris & Sorensen about participating, and when the night of the meeting comes somebody in an Avid polo shirt will show up to wave the flag and hand out pens. I mean somebody who works for Avid in the UK who actually wants there to be an Avid London User Group.  If that person exists, I'm happy to work with them to make a usergroup happen."

No reply.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jun 12 2011 6:46 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

Carl,

A number of us have been more successful doing a "non-denominational" type of group. Terence does that with Editors Lounge in LA and we do that in Central Florida with Orlando Post Pros. That way you can attract post production folks of all types, especially FCP editors. The trick is to focus on education, tips & tricks, etc. instead of just Avid product demos. You might have more luck that way.

Funding it is another matter. If you can find a hosting facility for free and get the presenting company to cover refreshments, the rest is pretty easy. But just remember, if you are running it, you have to keep putting the effort in otherwise it falls apart.

- Oliver

• Sun, Jun 12 2011 7:56 PM In reply to

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for that advice.  Smile

OliverPeters:
    A number of us have been more successful doing a "non-denominational" type of group.

I think if there ever is a London user group, it'd be along the lines you've described rather than an Avid specific group.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jun 12 2011 9:00 PM In reply to

I now run the Boston Avid Users Group and we've done some co-meetings with the Boston FCP Users Group, we try to focus on tools/processes that are beneficial to both groups.  

We (BAVUG) have taken it upon ourselves to market/fund the group/meetings through corporate sponsorships, and as of this year, individual memberships.  

I feel that there is a huge communication breakdown or disconnect between us and Avid Marketing in general.  I'm sure that they would benefit by including us under their marketing umbrella, but it seems they are largely unaware of our existence - and we're in Boston... 20 miles from Avid HQ.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Jun 13 2011 10:13 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,147
    • Points 13,000

I wonder if BECTU would have anyone who could help out on the 'non-denominational' group? It would certainly be in their interests to point out all the advantages of union membership to attendees. 

They've got premises in Clapham.. Northern Line, easy access... not sure if it could act as a venue though?

• Fri, Jul 1 2011 1:30 AM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:
    I now run the Boston Avid Users Group and we've done some co-meetings with the Boston FCP Users Group, we try to focus on tools/processes that are beneficial to both groups.  

And I very much value the collaborative effort and teamwork between us, Kenton, we've had some great mixers and look forward to more about sharing story and experiences.

Dan Bérubé, BOSFCPUG

• Sat, Jul 2 2011 9:10 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

A small group of us - between 8 and a dozen - around London, all converts from Liquid, have got together several times now for  blind-leading-the-blind sessions.  In fact, they're proving to be extremely valuable because each of us can bring something in the way of how-to's and tips to the table. However, the meetings have to be kept small - they're held in one of our houses - and as the hosts provide a lunch and refreshments, its only fair we all chip in to cover the costs.

We are also hampered by having just one usable laptop - the hosts - on which to demo our 'ways'.  Fortunately we have access to a projector, which enables everyone to see the screen at least.  The tips and tricks that we have each picked up - as individuals - from these forums and from the many Tutorials available - are passed on to the others, and there is a very definite and positive advance forward in the use of MC towards smoother and more advanced editing.

The value of these sessions is enormous: at the next session, we even have an Edius user coming, as a potential 'new user' of MC. 

As I said, it is very much the blind leading the blind - but we are all beginning to see better, and we do like what we're seeing.

It is therefore a great pity that such sessions are not sponsored or held by Avid themselves:  the support otherwise is second to none.  For example,  I would dearly like to upgrade to the latest Boris Continuum - I believe Avid does an upgrade package for all of the 'boxed' add-ons.  But even at its comparatively low cost, it still represents a big investment for me as a (very) aging amateur, and so I would really like to see the package fully demo'd with the 'what's new' parts shown and explained.  I'm sure its all well worth it, but ...   

Our group has gathered simply by word of mouth (and through connections with the IAC).  We cannot expand, but am sure were we able to do so, there would be many many times more people wanting to participate - at all levels of capability.  I would be very happy to sit in on a 'pro' gathering just to pick up the 'proper' techniques.

Like Pinnacle, Avid's presence in the UK seems to be purely for shipping boxes.  Pity.

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 8 2011 11:21 PM In reply to

Hi Mike,

check out www.ytips.net

i just started this site which contains several avid tips. lots more to come on a weekly basis.

hope this will help your group.

cheers, yossy

Yossy Tessone,

ACI, Avid Certified Instructor

• Tue, Jul 12 2011 9:06 PM In reply to

Mike Shaw:

A small group of us - between 8 and a dozen - around London, all converts from Liquid, have got together several times now for  blind-leading-the-blind sessions.  In fact, they're proving to be extremely valuable because each of us can bring something in the way of how-to's and tips to the table. However, the meetings have to be kept small - they're held in one of our houses - and as the hosts provide a lunch and refreshments, its only fair we all chip in to cover the costs.

We are also hampered by having just one usable laptop - the hosts - on which to demo our 'ways'.  Fortunately we have access to a projector, which enables everyone to see the screen at least.  The tips and tricks that we have each picked up - as individuals - from these forums and from the many Tutorials available - are passed on to the others, and there is a very definite and positive advance forward in the use of MC towards smoother and more advanced editing.

The value of these sessions is enormous: at the next session, we even have an Edius user coming, as a potential 'new user' of MC. 

As I said, it is very much the blind leading the blind - but we are all beginning to see better, and we do like what we're seeing.

It is therefore a great pity that such sessions are not sponsored or held by Avid themselves:  the support otherwise is second to none.  For example,  I would dearly like to upgrade to the latest Boris Continuum - I believe Avid does an upgrade package for all of the 'boxed' add-ons.  But even at its comparatively low cost, it still represents a big investment for me as a (very) aging amateur, and so I would really like to see the package fully demo'd with the 'what's new' parts shown and explained.  I'm sure its all well worth it, but ...   

Our group has gathered simply by word of mouth (and through connections with the IAC).  We cannot expand, but am sure were we able to do so, there would be many many times more people wanting to participate - at all levels of capability.  I would be very happy to sit in on a 'pro' gathering just to pick up the 'proper' techniques.

Like Pinnacle, Avid's presence in the UK seems to be purely for shipping boxes.  Pity.

I'm prepared to offer a venue for an evening if enough people are interested?

VET (providers of industry leading training in Avid and Apple) has offices in Hoxton Square London and I'm happy to host a group meeting. We have a trainig suite with V5.0.9 Avids for training and V5.5 ones around as well.

Probably cope with 20-30.

If there's enough interest I'll move it forwards

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jul 12 2011 9:29 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Sounds interesting- thanks for the offer!  I'll bring it up at our next (small) group meeting - we hold those over a whole day in Kent where we all live.  I know there are a few who could be interested in Essex: whether we could rustle up 20-30 is another matter.

I'll see what interest there is among our own group and put oput a few feelers for expanding it - then PM you.  Of course, anyone reading these posts can also show their interest - which would help make for the larger (and more diverse) group.

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 12 2011 9:36 PM In reply to

Mike, are you sure we shoild be mixing with people from Essex?

I have seen that TV show. Frightening.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 12 2011 9:49 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Big Smile

Know what you mean.  I was born in Essex - but I was evacuated South when ww2 started - and I never went back. 

Or looked back!

• Wed, Jul 13 2011 2:00 AM In reply to

Mike Shaw:
    we hold those over a whole day

sounds like your meetings are like an ODI Cricket Match! Wink

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller