Latest post Thu, Apr 3 2008 7:04 PM by derekg. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 2 2008 11:15 PM

• danielm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 23 2007
    • Denver, Colorado
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

Dell 22" WS monitors

Let's start at the very beginning, cause it's a very nice place to start....

This is a very long post, because I wanted to detail what I tried, as much as I could before someone suggested, "Well, did you try this" or "Did you try that?".  You might want to print this out and read it over lunch! Big Smile

There is a question at the very bottom of this post, in case you want to cut to the chase........

==========

We have 3 Avid MC Adrenaline systems. 

Two of the systems we purchesed at the same time with HP L1940T monitors (19" with a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 @ 60Hz).

The third system was bought as "B" stock without monitors, so our enginnering department gave us two aging 20" CRT monitors of different brands.

All three Avid MC systems have the same video card (nVidia Quadro FX 1400) mounted in the same slot of each HP computer.  BTW, it's the same model of HP computer that is Avid-qualified.

The new budget year is coming up, so we decide to spend some of the last of this years budget for new matching monitors for the third Avid.

Based on a prior preferred business relationship, we have to buy our monitors from Dell.

I pick the Dell UltraSharp 2208WFP widescreen LCD monitor (22" with a native resolution of 1680 x 1050).  We change the nVidia display adapter to 1680 x 1050.

The monitors work wonderfully in Windows, but in the Avid application, the Composer window will display still video, but not motion video.  When we play a clip in either the Source or Record monitors, the video freezes on the last frame displayed, then when the clip stops, the Source or Record monitor updates with the video frame where the clip is stopped.

Here are the steps we've tried to remedy this:

With the nVidia card in Dualview mode (two monitors configured independently)

1)  Change the video resolution to be the same as the 19" HP monitors (1280 x 1024 @ 60Hz) which is a 4 x 3 aspect ratio.

Result:  No motion video in the Composer window.

2)  Change the video resolution to 1600 x 900 @ 60Hz, a 1.777.... aspect ratio.

3)  Change the video resolution to 1152 x 864 @ 60Hz, a 1.333.... aspect ratio.

Result:  Motion video plays in the Composer window, but in the wrong aspect ratio.

4)  Change the video resolution to 1024 x 768 @ 60Hz, a 1.333... aspect ratio.

Result:  Motion video plays in the Composer window, but in the wrong aspect ratio.

As you may guess, because of the interpolation taking place for a resolution other than the native monitor resolution, the display of the timeline and bins and everything else text related in the Avid is fuzzy.  Also, the Composer video windows (Source and Record) are noticably "squished" vertically, making everything short and fat.

We then went into the nVidia "Custom Resolution" area and created three custom widescreen resolutions.  The nVidia custom resolution tool would allow a resoluton to be created for only 1 of the 2 displays.  I would create a resolution in display 1, but when I selected to create a resolution in display 2, the tools would fail to create that resoluton.  I finally ended up creating resolutions for display 2 only, since that is the display with the Composer video windows.

So, with display 1 at 1024 x 768 @ 60Hz, I did the following for display 2:

5)  Create a custom resolution of 1600 x 1024, a 16 x 10 aspect ratio, which matches the aspect ratio of the native 1680 x 1050 of the monitor.

6)  Create a custom resolution of 1440 x 900, a 16 x 10 aspect ratio, which matches the aspect ratio of the native 1680 x 1050 of the monitor.

7)  Create a custom resolution of 1366 x 768, a 16 x 9 aspect ratio.

Result:  Motion video plays in the Composer window AND the Composer video window (Source and Record) are in the correct aspect ratioHowever, the text display in bins and the timeline and such is fuzzy, probably because display 1 has both a resolution difference (1024 x 768 instread of native 1650x1080) AND an aspect change applied (4 x 3 instead of 16 x 9).

I then made changes to display 1 and display 2 together.

8)  Change display 1 to 1680 x 1050 and display 2 to 1366 x 768.

Result:  No motion video in the Composer window AND Composer video window (Source and Record) are in the wrong aspect ratio.

9)  Change display 1 to 1152 x 864 and display 2 to 1440 x 900.

Result:  No motion video in the Composer window AND the Composer video window (Source and Record) are in the correct aspect ratio.

We also attempted to change the nVidia from Dualview to Horizontal Span.  Horizontal Span treats the display as one large horizontal desktop, so the resolution in the horizontal domain becomes twice the width of a normal display, but spread over two monitors.  Resolutions included 3200 x 988 and 2560 x 1024, resulting in no motion video in the Composer window.

For now, while we decide whether to return these 22" monitors and exchange them for 19" monitors, we are running display 1 at 1024 x 768 and display 2 at 1366 x 768, which gives us motion video in the Composer window AND the Composer video window (Source and Record) are in the correct aspect ratio. 

Unfortunately, we don't seem to gain any screen real estate on the 22" monitor in this interpolated mode over what we can use on a 19" monitor.  Also, the screen fonts on the 22" monitor are fuzzy compared to the native resolution of either the 19" or 22"WS monitors.

==========

So my question is:

Is there some trick to get the Avid to play video on a 22" wide screen monitor at the monitors native resolution of 1680 x 1050?  Confused

HP Workstation xs8200,dual Xeon 3.40 GHz. Nvidia Quadro FX 1400. Windows XP SP3. Avid Media Compose Adrenaline HD, Avid software 2.2.7. Quicktime version... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 2 2008 11:34 PM In reply to

Re: Dell 22" WS monitors

You didn't mention drivers. Also what version of Avid ... Maybe the drivers need to be updated? Or rolled back? Does the driver version match the readme for the Avid version you are running? Those monitors should work fine. I have experienced the same thing in the past and I think it was a driver issue.

MC 7.0.2 iMac 4Ghz Intel Core i7 OSX 10.10.3, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, AMD radeon R9 M295X 4096MB, Retina 5k 27" + Dell 24", Flanders Scientific LM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 3 2008 7:47 AM In reply to

• derekg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 43
    • Points 580

We're doing, and have been doing for some time, exactly what you want to do, with XPro - 22 in WS main monitor at native 1650x1080, 19 in second monitor at native 1280x1024 (actually Viewsonics, but cant see why that would make any difference). I've done this on 2 systems - older with Quadro 750 and newer with Quadro 1500 without any problems, using the Avid Nvidia drivers (currently XPro 5.8 with Nvidia 91.85). Had no problems using dual view setting monitors with  different resolutions on each monitor, and had moving video in viewers on either monitor.

All we did was set them up in Windows for the native resolutions, and had no problem with Avid

There is no trick! Can only suggest re-installing Nvidia drivers.

Derek Goodall

Goodwood Productions , Los Angeles  

HP z420 3.6 Xeon quad core, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX660, BM Intensity 4k, Win 10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 3 2008 5:43 PM In reply to

• danielm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 23 2007
    • Denver, Colorado
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

rfmeredith:

Avid version 2.2.7 all three systems.  Rolled the driver back to the original driver Avid shipped.  (Located in Program Files\Avid\Utilities\nVidia, for the lurkers out there).  The driver name was 77.18_win2kxp_international_whql.exe, dated 6/17/2006 12:28 am. The driver unpacked to driver version 7.7.8.8 dated 6/15/2005.

I could not find the readme for the Avid.

The problems with no video playing in the Composer window (Source and Record) still persisted whenever using a resolution in Display 2 above 1280 x 1024.

Thanks for the suggestion about going back to the Avid supplied drivers.  It gave us a good point to start at.

derekg:

I didn't put 2 + 2 together when I found I could not run Display 2 higher than 1280 x 1024 and still get motion video, but that Display 1 could be a different resolution.

I took your advice about using the 22" monitor on Display 1 at 1650 x 1080, 32 bit color (native resolution) and restoring the 19" monitor as Display 2 at 1280 x 1024, 16 bit color in Dualview.  I get a lot of screen real estate on Display 1 for bins and I get motion video in the Composer window for Display 2.  It works, and for now, that will suffice for me.

I still do wonder, academically speaking, if it is possible to have a Composer window in the correct aspect ratio on a monitor which has a resolution higher than 1280 x 1024, 16 bit color.

Thanks, guys, for your suggestions and advice.  It was appreciated. Yes

HP Workstation xs8200,dual Xeon 3.40 GHz. Nvidia Quadro FX 1400. Windows XP SP3. Avid Media Compose Adrenaline HD, Avid software 2.2.7. Quicktime version... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 3 2008 7:04 PM In reply to

• derekg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 43
    • Points 580

I run the composer window on the 22in monitor at 1650x1080 without any aspect ratio problems.

Maybe the newer Nvidia drivers we're using (91.85 for XPro 2.8) make a difference, but had no problems with 84.26 with XPro 5.5.3 either. Strange!

HP z420 3.6 Xeon quad core, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX660, BM Intensity 4k, Win 10 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller