Latest post Wed, Apr 2 2008 10:42 PM by TrevorA. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 31 2008 9:09 PM

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,147
    • Points 13,000

Timeline latency and redrawing issues

I'm well used to the Adrenaline latency, but I remember SN being a bit snappier. (v1.7.7 on ISIS)

Even with playlength on it takes about 1.5 secs to respond to a play command - turning render on the fly off seems to help it (as does rendering all effects) but it's still like a soggy bit of string to edit with.

Also every time I hit play the blue position line leaves a ghost where it was. Corrects itself if I resize timeline or switch to a different app and back.

'Core unable to do' - had a few of those today, a room down the corridor was plagued all day with these.

• Tue, Apr 1 2008 6:32 PM In reply to

• Blue Crow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 23 2006
    • London
    • Posts 498
    • Points 5,945

Re: Timeline latency and redrawing issues

I'm supposed to put my Symphony Nitris on our ISIS Friday would you recommend holding off ?

I'm hopefully getting a new 4.0 in April. [view my complete system specs]

If this job was easy it wouldn't be any fun.

• Tue, Apr 1 2008 7:01 PM In reply to

• Highnoon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 11 2006
    • Denver, CO USA
    • Posts 60
    • Points 700

we're dropping frames laying back to tape from ISIS/Interplay with our Symph/DS Dual Boot Systems.

DNxHD 145 (video media on local storage), but ISIS connection active to view sequence at offline resolution for reference.

disabling the network connection to ISIS solves the issue - haven't bothered to check if operating wholly from the ISIS does.

known issue. currently being escalated at Avid. unless you absolutely need to, i would wait.

39 MCsoft 2.7.7 w/Mojo HP XW8000-8200 Avid ISIS 1.4 64TB Avid Interplay 1.1.6 60 Avid Interplay Assist 1.6 2 Dual Boot Symphony Nitris/DS v8.0 HPXW9300... [view my complete system specs]
    Eli Hensley | High Noon Entertainment Technical Services Manager & Morale Officer the race for quality has no finish line...so technically it's more like a death march.
  • Tue, Apr 1 2008 9:32 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,147
    • Points 13,000

are you running SD or HD? which codecs?

Overall using SN in SD on ISIS has been OK. One place I work is 2:1 OMF (with occasional 15:1s MXF after a reboot for some reason) another uses MPEG50 MXF with other resolutions disabled. The latter has Interplay too for some jobs. Both have some issues, but no show stoppers that I am aware of.

Frame chase editing using Interplay is very cool if you have tight turnaround.

Depends on what you need to do

• Wed, Apr 2 2008 7:15 PM In reply to

• BSheehan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

Dropped frames are occurring here with all flavors DNxHD --  1080p/23.98 & 1080i/59.94  as well as SD 1:1.

We use our local drives on the Symphony, so no high resolution media is used via ISIS & Interplay, at least not yet.

I always disable the network connection to ISIS after I have referenced the offline for the master conform. When that connection is enabled, dropped frames occur during both normal playback and DigitalCut, no matter the resolution from the local drives, not ISIS.

FWIW.

Brian

Symph Nitris 1.7.7 / DS Nitris 8.0 hpxw9300 Dual Boot Local Avid drives 1.7 Tb 12x146 / ISIS 1.4 64Tb (mirrored to 32) Interplay 1.1.6 Avid ISIS... [view my complete system specs]
    Brian Sheehan Sr. Finishing Editor | High Noon Entertainment DS Nitris | Symphony Nitris
  • Wed, Apr 2 2008 10:42 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,147
    • Points 13,000

OK further to this... The more effects and layers in the sequence the soggier the piece of string becomes. I duplicated the sequence back into itself a number of times and it would take up to a minute to respond to play or stop command.

I am suspecting the fact that we are using 2:1 (MXF) rather than 1:1 is giving the processors lots to do.

Playlength command improves everything enormously also.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller