Latest post Wed, Mar 19 2008 2:51 AM by Yasch. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 17 2008 4:00 PM

• Yasch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 19 2006
    • New York
    • Posts 42
    • Points 545

Pan and Zoom

How about revamping the pan and zoom tool? At least adding rotation. That would be awesome and very useful for historical documentary work.

Media Composer v2.8.3 (PC) HP xw8200, Xeon 3.40GHz, 3GB RAM, 4TB Unity MediaNetwork Server (connected via 4Gb Fiber) [view my complete system specs]

Yanky Ascher
    Jewish Educational Media | Avid Editor

Filed under:
  • Mon, Mar 17 2008 4:13 PM In reply to

• MikePoglitsch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Naperville, IL
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,425

Re: Pan and Zoom

I second that, we've only had Boris (Avid FX) if you want rotation.  It would be an awesome addition to Pan & Zoom.

2 Avids: Z400 Win 7 - 12GB RAM, BlackMagic Intensity Pro, z400 Win 7 Matrox MXO2 Mini 12GB RAM Both trying to run MC 7, QT 7.7.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 18 2008 9:27 PM In reply to

• cableguy316
    • Not Ranked
    • Norfolk, VA
    • Posts 44
    • Points 540

Third that!  At this point it's pretty absurd to be missing rotation.  Hell, it really should have Z axis moves as well. 

HP xw8200 2 x Xeon 3.4GHz 3gigs RAM QuadroFX 1400 Media Composer Adrenaline Mojo SDI Avid MediaDrive SCSI array [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 18 2008 9:46 PM In reply to

In the meantime, nest a 3D warp or 3D PIP onto the Pan and Zoom clips and rotate away!

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 10:02 PM In reply to

• janusz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Paris
    • Posts 394
    • Points 4,535

Some means to easily batch relink the image files would be nice.... Pan and Zoom is a nightmare when you are sharing projects and the file paths don't correspond (unless there is a trick I don't know...)

MC 2018.12 / OS 10.12.6 + others elsewhere [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 18 2008 10:07 PM In reply to

I whole-heartedly agree with that request. 

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 11:31 PM In reply to

• Yasch
    • Not Ranked
    • New York
    • Posts 42
    • Points 545

Kenton.VanNatten:

In the meantime, nest a 3D warp or 3D PIP onto the Pan and Zoom clips and rotate away!

Nesting wouldn't work.

The 3D PIP gives you great flexibility to move the picture around, but is lacking when it comes to zooming in. The Pan and Zoom effect uses the original pictures resolution to give you that good quality when you zoom in.

Nesting a Pan and Zoom into a 3D PIP, your picture will be confined to your projects resolution (720 x 480...) and you won't be able to rotate or edit the 3D dimensions to your full picture.

Currently, we use After Effects for panning that requires anything more than position and scale. You can imagine how tedious that can be, especially when archiving the project.

Revamping the Pan and Zoom tool would be a big improvement, especially for documentary work that is heavy on images.

Media Composer v2.8.3 (PC) HP xw8200, Xeon 3.40GHz, 3GB RAM, 4TB Unity MediaNetwork Server (connected via 4Gb Fiber) [view my complete system specs]

Yanky Ascher

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 12:38 AM In reply to

Yasch:
    Nesting a Pan and Zoom into a 3D PIP, your picture will be confined to your projects resolution (720 x 480...) and you won't be able to rotate or edit the 3D dimensions to your full picture.

Are you sure? 

I place the P&Z onto Filler, point it to my image, then hold ALT and double-click the 3D PIP effect.  I then Step In to make adjustments to the P&Z effect and Step Out to do any 3D work (ie rotations).  I've never noticed any image degradation as the 3D PIP is only rotating "Filler" as far as it's concerned.  The P&Z still uses the original resolution. 

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 2:51 AM In reply to

• Yasch
    • Not Ranked
    • New York
    • Posts 42
    • Points 545

Kenton.VanNatten:
    I place the P&Z onto Filler, point it to my image, then hold ALT and double-click the 3D PIP effect.  I then Step In to make adjustments to the P&Z effect and Step Out to do any 3D work (ie rotations).

The Pan and Zoom uses the original image, but the 3D PIP doesn't. So even if you nest the Pan and Zoom in a 3D PIP, when you rotate, you are rotating a 720 x 480 image, not the original image.

So if I have an 8 x 10 document that I want to pan and zoom with rotation, your method will rotate the results of the Pan and Zoom effect, not the full document.

Yanky Ascher

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller