Latest post Mon, Mar 31 2008 7:47 PM by jfay. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 1 2008 8:25 AM

• Nate Orloff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 24 2008
    • Orange, CA
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

January08 Mac Pro w/NVIDIA GeForce 8800... what are my options running MC?!

Okay, here's my specs:

Mac Pro 3.2GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Leopard 10.5.2, Quicktime 7.4.1

Boot Camp - Windows XP Home

Now, I thought booting into XP would solve my Leopard problems but my NVIDIA graphics card isn't supported. The viewer flashes 3 times and doesn't play. Although, for a few days it was working wonderfully before I ran VMware Fusion and all of a sudden Avid didn't like my graphics card again. I posted about this in this thread: http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/thread/308644.aspx

What are my options? I bought this machine to be the ultimate editing workstation that would last me the next 5+ years. It's hard to believe that not only is the default OS too new but the graphics card.

I can't downgrade to Tiger because, well, not only is it running a risk of hoping my Mac Pro will work on it, I don't have an install DVD.

What's weird is I found this post http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/thread/306017.aspx where it sounds like he made Avid run under 10.5.2.

In conclusion, am I SOL until Avid supports either Leopard or the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 graphics card?
    Mac Pro 3.2GHZ • 4GB RAM • Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 1 2008 12:55 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: January08 Mac Pro w/NVIDIA GeForce 8800... what are my options running MC?!

If the system was working fine until you installed fusion, I think you have your answer. Your other options are:

1. Run the avid under bootcamp in XP until leopard is supported (Uninstall VMWare if you must)

2. Back-rev the CPU to Tiger (you can get the OS on Amazon). I've detailed how to do this in several posts. Apple doesn't want you to do it but it is possible.

3. Create a second partition/drive running Tiger and boot Avid from there.

4. Try to install on Leopard. Several of my system were running 2.8 on 10.5.2 for a while. Not supported, but it worked.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Sat, Mar 1 2008 9:53 PM In reply to

• Nate Orloff
    • Not Ranked
    • Orange, CA
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Well, I installed Avid on Leopard and it works! When I launched Avid at first, it asked me to download this: http://www.paceap.com/ilwebdnld4.html which does support Leopard. Now things are running great! Better than great, now I can run Full Screen Playback in my 2nd display since the graphics card is supported via Leopard. I haven't had one issue yet. Even my Final Cut Bella keyboard's jog shuttle works.
    Mac Pro 3.2GHZ • 4GB RAM • Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 28 2008 9:52 PM In reply to

• jfay
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 41
    • Points 465

I have the March 08 version of this computer and it just gives the grey-screen when I try to boot up from a tiger install done on a late 07 Quad Core.  I tried running MC on Leopard and it ran without the Adrenaline or Mojo, but if I plugged in any DNA device it would no longer work or play video.  How the heck is someone supposed to buy a new Mac Avid if there are no supported computers availabe to purchase except used.

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 9:58 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

To back-rev that machine, you have to either put it in FW disk mode attached to another Mac or you have to replace the internal HD with a HD that has been prepped with Tiger.

Another way is to boot it in FW disc mode and Use copy copy Cloner or Super duper to copy a Tiger partition over to the new CPU.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Mar 30 2008 2:05 AM In reply to

• jfay
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 41
    • Points 465

BLKDOG:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I said it in another thread, but I'll give the info here for the benefit of anyone who is reading it.  The Geforce 8800 is not supported in Tiger so if you've purchased a new computer with it and hope to roll it back to Tiger you will probably be SOL.  We tried using Target mode and even taking the HD from the Quad Core Tiger machine and slapping it in the 8-core with no success.  My theory is the reason that the ATI equipped machines are working is because the driver for the Aluminum iMac (which i also own) works for the ATI card that comes standard in the new Mac Pro's.  Kind of makes me wish our IT guy didn't think it such a great idea to upgrade to the best card...the 8800GT, as it probably would have worked otherwise.  It's not really worth it for me to purchase downgrade cards to get it to work for the next few months until the Leopard support is available.  We will be buying 4 more computers when we've established that these first 4 are working (which they clearly aren't as of this time).  I just hope the Dual 2.3 G5 that we are going to have to use in the interim will work sufficiently for our needs.  It is replacing an HP xw8100 dual 3.4GHZ so the bar isn't set very high.  The Quad core tiger machine we have will work fine for the interim I'm sure. 

There is definately a bit of embarassment in the IT department as the guy who pushed to buy these computers was selling them to management as working better than the existing PC's.  As of now they are proving to be much more of a nightmare.  (Bus errors, mojo not working, networking problems.)  I never would have guessed that Avid would run so poorly on the Mac computers.  It obviously pays to be an regular on the forums in that respect.

• Sun, Mar 30 2008 4:51 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Well I don't think it's fair to say that Avid runs poorly on Macs, at all. You mean to say that bus errors , mojo not working etc due to being on an unsupported OS is Avid's fault or are these problems things you are picking up from the Forums?

Bus errors are a generic error cause by a whole host of issues from bad motherboards to a USB hub. A few folks get them more than Most. Personally I get one a week on my non-testing systems. It's just like the Access Violation errors on PCs. Some people get them, others don't. Up until recently, I had two systems in rotation that had no problems with their Mojos. Again, others have problems. But you can't judge the severity of those problems by reading here. It's like going into an ER and drawing a conclusion that the whole world is sick. People come here for help with problems, they rarely post when things are going well.

I have had both PC and Mac systems, the both are equally problematic. I have both Avid and FCP systems, there is no one Mecca of an NLE, both have their downsides. I know that if you get those systems set up properly, you'll e just as happy with them as you were with your PCs.

• Sun, Mar 30 2008 5:03 AM In reply to

• Nate Orloff
    • Not Ranked
    • Orange, CA
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Well, I don't know about you guys, but as I explained in my last post, I got Media Composer to run wonderfully under 10.5.2. I haven't touched my system software in case an update screws it up, but it's working perfectly without issues. Until now, I've always hated Avid but now I know all the errors I'd get were because of the computers I was running it on. I'm not going to blame Windows and say Mac OS X is always better, but Avid runs wonderfully on my new Mac Pro.

• Sun, Mar 30 2008 5:13 AM In reply to

• jfay
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 41
    • Points 465

I was referring to my experience.  I have been using Avid and installing them for 13 years.  I haven't had to call Avid Customer Service for 9 years.  When I say that it was running poorly I was comparing to the PC's we had setup.  They did not run perfectly, but in comparison the Tiger based Mac we had setup was running worse.  From what I had heard from other Mac users in town, I was expecting it to run alot better. 

I have worked extensively on Avid and FCP and am aware of their downsides.  I've had problems with Final Cut Pro that would make some people give up on it altogether.  Given the fact that I had Avid up and running smoothly on my iMac at home running on Vista in Boot Camp, I was expecting a bit more out of these Mac's.  And yes, my mojo still works in Vista.  (It didn't see my video card, but that didn't stop me from working.)  I've been running Avid's on all sorts of non-certified systems for 8 years. AMD Athlon MP's, Intel Core2Duo home built boxes etc., and while they sometimes had their issues, they were never really so problematic that I couldn't work.

I have seen errors many people were having on the PC forums here, and while many of them are annoying, they don't keep you from editing much.  Since we had installed the Quad Core Mac running 10.4.11 in one of our edit suites with 5.8 the editor was getting bus errors frequently with Mojo turned on and the computer would grey screen and ask to be restarted.  I don't consider getting several kernal panics in a day as workable when 10-15 mins of work is lost every time.  We wouldn't consider it workable on our PC's, and I don't consider it workable on the Mac.  This is on the supported system mind you.  After searching extensively on here I have narrowed it down to a problem with Avid software running on a Mac with Shared Media that is MXF.  The only solution that you gave yourself BLKDOG was to not use MXF.  We already have hundreds of hours of footage captured MXF so going to OMF isn't an option here.

So you see that from my experience and the types of problems I have read about in the Mac forum after we got Macs I have come to the conclusion that in it's current form, MC and Xpress Pro runs poorly on the Mac compared to the PC.  If someone out there has their system running a recent build of Avid and it is humming along with no problems then I would love to know what they are doing right. 

I'm sure if you are using nothing but local storage on a Mac with the exact approved system that it runs pretty good.  But I would say that our old PC's were running fine even with our EditShare and MXF media.

I just hope that Avid puts out another version of the software that runs as well as 5.4.8 is rumored to have run.

P.S. my comments about being a regular on the forums was referring to the fact that had I come here and looked at what issues were plaguing people on the Mac version of Avid and the lack of Leopard support, I would have been able to steer our IT guy clear of making his purchase until some of these issues are resolved.

• Sun, Mar 30 2008 5:14 AM In reply to

• jfay
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 41
    • Points 465

nato64,

Do you have a mojo or aderenaline hooked up?  Are you not getting the bouncing folder icon that says CoreMidi driver?  I'm curious what your setup is...

• Mon, Mar 31 2008 1:52 PM In reply to

nato64 did mention the fact that his second display was working in full screen mode, so I would wager to say he is not connected to either DNA.  And that might be the issue...perhaps MC Soft will run on Leopard, but firmware updates might be needed for the hardware.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Mar 31 2008 7:47 PM In reply to

• jfay
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 41
    • Points 465

I have 2 editors in house that will testify to the fact that it is running better on Leopard than Tiger because of our situation.  We are using an EditShare and connecting via samba which is better supported in Leopard.  One editor had a fully Avid supported Tiger box and everytime he turned his mojo on he was getting bus errors after a while, and then a grey screen of death.  He was running without the Mojo so when he asked the other editor who is running 10.5.2 with no Mojo if he was getting bus errors and discovered that he was not, he asked to be upgraded to a Leopard box.

I gave him my new 8-core to use because I have been unable to get any Leopard install working correctly with 2.8 or 5.8.  Edit: (with adrenaline or mojo that is.)

But running without a Mojo is all fine and good, but my online suites do SDI outputs often and I need a DNA.  Besides I consider having to run an Avid without your Mojo or an MCA without your DNA hardware as "working".  It is broken. 

I am swapping computer out with one of our graphics guys so my Adrenalines will be a Quad Core Tiger box and an old G5 2.3 for the other one.  Kind of sucks when we just dropped $13,000 on new Apple hardware.  I guess it pays to do your research. (I wasn't really in charge of this purchase)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller