Latest post Thu, Jan 17 2008 5:48 PM by Baklap. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 12 2008 12:03 AM

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

Missing in action...

I was just curious to see if we are alone in our missing in Interplay.

We are working with a company that offers a fully loaded system, full capacity Isis (and by full i mean FULL Big Smile 190+ Tb all filled up!) and a couple of 100 users using Assist, Access and several flavors of MC, NC, PT and whatever i am missing...

In the pre Interplay days with Unity and other "easy" shared storage we where able to give out media. As in when we had specific situations where off -lining was needed elsewhere we could dupe the media copy the project and the editor or assistant was on his/her way doing the things on a laptop or whatever. When ready we just copied back the project and went on to online.
    In Interplay we have not found a (good) way to get this done. Sure Assist allows low res sort of editing but not off-site...
    I would very much like an option where we good get back some flexibility in off-site editing.. with all the flexibility we gained we lost this and after using the system for more then a year now it becomes more and more problematic...

Maybe have the low res be that low you can edit off-site with Assist.. that in itself would be a major improvement!

Any thoughts?
    35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Mon, Jan 14 2008 7:11 PM In reply to

• Highnoon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 11 2006
    • Denver, CO USA
    • Posts 60
    • Points 700

Re: Missing in action...

i've got an XPro HD laptop that i send out with a firewire drive (with MXF media copied from ISIS) that works fine. pop the off-site sequences back in, let MC think about it for a bit, and we're working. the hitch is you're in hock for editing dongles, rather than an Assist license.

does FreeDV do MXF? i guess you could transcode to OMF or whatever and use that, but your sequences probably wouldn't relink.

but yeah, dunno how you could ever get off-site and still use the Interplay Engine.
    39 MCsoft 2.7.7 w/Mojo HP XW8000-8200 Avid ISIS 1.4 64TB Avid Interplay 1.1.6 60 Avid Interplay Assist 1.6 2 Dual Boot Symphony Nitris/DS v8.0 HPXW9300... [view my complete system specs]
    Eli Hensley | High Noon Entertainment Technical Services Manager & Morale Officer the race for quality has no finish line...so technically it's more like a death march.
  • Tue, Jan 15 2008 4:07 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400

Highnoon:
    i've got an XPro HD laptop that i send out with a firewire drive (with MXF media copied from ISIS) that works fine. pop the off-site sequences back in, let MC think about it for a bit, and we're working.

Can you eleborate on that? As in how do you get the new sequence to be part of the Interplay engine again.. it seems to loose all references at times when  this kind of workflow is attempted. Yes it can be done but that is such a hassle it hardly called a good workflow .. looking at 300+ users Smile

Menno
    35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

My Keys

• Tue, Jan 15 2008 8:42 PM In reply to

• Highnoon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 11 2006
    • Denver, CO USA
    • Posts 60
    • Points 700

its slapdash, but if you absolutely have to off-site something, it kinda works.

copy the media to portable drive, pull the Interplay clip data and metadata into .avbs on an editing client.

copy the .avbs to the portable client, operate the laptop as a standalone system offsite, bring it back, copy the .avbs back onto an Interplay editing client (OMF in whatever media you've created on the offsite system, if any), check the metadata of the offsite project back into interplay. as long as the offsite editor hasn't changed tape names or associations, the sequences will relink fine. recreate titles, re-render, and you're set. it seems to help to load the offsite sequence first, then open all the bins that contain the source tape clips (update them from interplay if it doesn't snap to right away) while the sequence bin is open. updating entire sequences from interplay is hit or miss. i tend to have a master bin of all source clips so i can do it fell swoop.

clunky? you bet, but all of the interplay metadata sticks with the clips in the bins including locators, notes, etc, as part of the .avb file. and anyway, once you edit a sequence on a client you can't do too much with it in Interplay beyond review and approval.

what specific problem are you experiencing? relinking with ISIS media, or reconciling the modified metadata with existing Interplay metadata?
    39 MCsoft 2.7.7 w/Mojo HP XW8000-8200 Avid ISIS 1.4 64TB Avid Interplay 1.1.6 60 Avid Interplay Assist 1.6 2 Dual Boot Symphony Nitris/DS v8.0 HPXW9300... [view my complete system specs]
    Eli Hensley | High Noon Entertainment Technical Services Manager & Morale Officer the race for quality has no finish line...so technically it's more like a death march.
  • Thu, Jan 17 2008 5:48 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400

lol yeah clunky it is.. it is basicly what we tried.. and as you said it is a hit or miss situation.. It might be a problem with us that 192 Tb just indexes poorly when you go beyond the "prefered' usage of Interplay.

Havig said that i will now restate my question and make a request..

Make it possible to work on the Media (in a Assist kinda way) through ASP or some webbased application .. That way we have best of both worlds.. as long as the user has internet access ...

Thx for your help and pointers.. time to start a new thread on archived media Smile

Menno

Twitter Account

My Keys

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller