Latest post Sun, Nov 25 2007 12:02 PM by sep. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 25 2007 12:28 AM

problem capturing .mxf files to fat32 hard drive

I'm editing on media composer and i'm trying to capture regular DV footage, as well as my film rushes on miniDVcam in the .mxf file format onto a FAT32 external hard drive.  Every time I reach the FAT32 file size limit (4 gigs) the following error appears in the console:

Master clip 'PXL2.05' renamed as 'PXL2.05'
       Captured master clip :: PXL2.05
    Exception in DigitizeWindow::DisposePlayer: xcode=DISK_FULL
    Exception:
    @ Sun Nov 25 00:51:09 2007
    * This volume is full.
    * Exception: SYS_ERROR, status:112, msg:There is not enough space on the disk.
    * Exception: MXFDomain::WriteIndexTable - Failed to write index table to file

Now I know the problem is that it's reached the 4gb limit.  But I've been searching in vain for an option to have the MXF files split, just like OMFs do when they reach the 2gb limit.  So far I haven't found it.  Is there no solution to this?

I'm sort of stuck, because I need the drive as FAT32 to go between a MAC and a PC.  MacDrive doesn't work for some reason with my USB2.0 hard drive.  I chose to capture MXFs because of the supposed benefits in interoperability, since I need more ease in bringing the footage into compositing programs and the like.

Am I just stuck?  Or is there a solution to this problem?

• Sun, Nov 25 2007 1:53 AM In reply to

Re: problem capturing .mxf files to fat32 hard drive

MXF's don't split.  So that's out of the question. 

Mac's can read PC formatted NTFS drives, but can not write to them.

MacDrive certainly should work, but you have to install it on the PC that you want to read the Mac-formatted drive from.  Not on the drive itself. 
    MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Nov 25 2007 12:02 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

Re: problem capturing .mxf files to fat32 hard drive

lonesteppenwolf1:

I chose to capture MXFs because of the supposed benefits in interoperability, since I need more ease in bringing the footage into compositing programs and the like.

I think your solution will even though be OMF files. Interoperability with programs like AE is quite OK. MXF DV capture vs OMF doesn't, in fact, bring any improvement.

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller