Latest post Fri, Oct 19 2007 2:33 PM by Baklap. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 15 2007 12:55 AM

• Bigdog
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 14 2007
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Educational Help

Hello folks!  First time caller, long time listener:

We are currently a Unity based house on Haystack 11.  We're planning on going the P2 route in phases over the next couple of years.  So I have a couple of questions and welcome any suggestions you may have.

Bringing Interplay into the fold/mix:  I haven't been able to determine from the product briefs if it works with OMF?  If we continue to shoot DVC25 plus the coming additions of P2, how do the two interact?  I know you can configure the P2's to shoot 25/50/etc... I guess I think my confusion resides in our current OMF world and the change to MFX.  Does the Inteplay transcode allow both worlds to co-exist for ingest and play to air?

What about the files we have that currently sit in our AirSpace playout server?  We have AirSpeeds coming in to replace the Xdecks, so the AirSpeed becomes a combination of the two - does AirSpace go away completely because of that?

A brief Unity setup list:

AirSpace playout/BCS/CGBCS

2 FileManagers

2 TransferManagers

1 MediaManager

2 Portservers

4 Xdecks

Like I said, I guess at this point I'm not too clear on how we bridge the two file format worlds and welcome your input.

• Mon, Oct 15 2007 3:32 AM In reply to

Re: Educational Help

In Interplay you can only generate MXF media.  OMF media can be seen if it is transferred from other workgroups or Archive.

There is no Xdeck support, but there is AirSpace support.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Oct 15 2007 4:10 AM In reply to

• Bigdog
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

That's a start, thanks.  I know Xdecks go away, I guess transcode handles it all, huh?  If you know of any production briefs I'd appreciate it.  I have yet to see (or find,) something that shows me OMF/MFX mixed environments.

Obviously we will be bridging the two until the complete changeover to MFX and HD.

Thanks again!

• Mon, Oct 15 2007 2:57 PM In reply to

• lawsonr
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 8 2006
    • CBS News
    • Posts 313
    • Points 3,655

How feasible is it for you to make the jump to 100% MXF-based media?

Avid NewsCutter v10.5.4, ISIS 7000 v4.6.1, Interplay 2.7, Interplay Central 1.8 [view my complete system specs]

--- Rob Lawson System Administrator, ACSR CBS News

• Tue, Oct 16 2007 2:22 AM In reply to

• Bigdog
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

I wish all at once but it's not to be.  P2 is phased (last I heard,) over the next two to three years.  May get that timeline accelerated if we do it simultaneously across the group.

• Thu, Oct 18 2007 3:14 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,320
    • Points 25,875

Accelarate it, and right now.

OMF has been "hinky" in Interplay. Files are here... Files are offline. oh wait, files are here.

JDS
    So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

• Fri, Oct 19 2007 2:33 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

Agreed, OMF files and Interplay are not close friends...

Menno
    35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller