Latest post Mon, Oct 22 2007 9:19 PM by Highnoon. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 4 2007 12:56 AM

• lawsonr
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 8 2006
    • CBS News
    • Posts 313
    • Points 3,655

Media Indexer question

OK, I'll break the ice.

One of the Media Indexers in my HAG is holding on to an entry in the Media Table, which is read-only. Here's a link to a screen grab.

What's the best way to remove this item with a minimum amount of disruption to my 24/7 editing operations?

Thanks in advance,

Avid NewsCutter v10.5.4, ISIS 7000 v4.6.1, Interplay 2.7, Interplay Central 1.8 [view my complete system specs]

--- Rob Lawson System Administrator, ACSR CBS News

• Thu, Oct 4 2007 7:16 AM In reply to

Re: Media Indexer question

Since this is a read only member of the HAG(probably your secondary member). Taking it offline and removing it from the HAG altogether is what I would suggest.

Your primary HAG president should be able to take over the load of the clients and any indexing that must occur. Client performace is what will suffer as the default HAG configuration is "load balanced" but removing from the hag, restart services in workgroup properties and rejoin the HAG with a lower priority than president-primary should get you back in a few minutes without much disruption if any.

you should use a priority of 8 or 9 for the primary. and 7 or lower for the rest. This gives you room to override the president, if necessary, without having to go to a tie breaker if your president-primary is already 10 and you want to force another server to be primary, for whatever reason.

Take care,

DS
  • Thu, Oct 4 2007 4:00 PM In reply to

• dpineaul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 10 2006
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15
    • Avid Employee

All,

The reason that there is a grayed out remove option is, as Deyner notes, that the configuration tool is connected to a "slave" to another “President” Media Indexer in the High Availability group. Please make changes to the master and do not attempt to make corrections and changes to the slaves as reconnection to the group will undo any change made to them. Please allow time for the change to propagate to the slave machines (several minutes). Please contact customer support if the change is not reported to the service configuration tool for the slave machines (denoted by the read-only) for the file locations to be scanned.

Please use extreme caution when changing priority of the Media Indexer weight in a High Availability group. To implement the lower number assignments that Deyner suggests (sort of our new best practice to allow another machine to be the "President" when needed) is to lower the priority of the lower machines one at a time and over an extended period of time to allow the group to be aware of the change and allow the server's internal tables to be corrected. For example, if your current three HAG machines are set to 10, 9  and 8 for priorities at the start of the value change operation move the unit at 8 down to 6 and wait an hour for the group to propagate the change. Next move the 9 priority down to 7 and wait an hour. The last operation will be to move the 10 priority system to 8. It might also be best to time this with a maintenance window to minimize client connection disruptions.

Under no circumstances do you want to change the master to be at a priority lower that any slave. This could lead to a loop condition where no one gets to stay assigned as the High Availability Group master.

• Thu, Oct 4 2007 4:28 PM In reply to

• lawsonr
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • CBS News
    • Posts 313
    • Points 3,655

Let me clarify and elaborate -

When I look at the Media Table for my HAG "President", the spurious entry is not listed. This entry only exists on the two secondary Media Indexers in my HAG.

I have contacted frontline Avid Support regarding this issue and opened a case. I do not know if this is causing any real problem, aside from a warning flag in my Interplay Health Monitor.

Avid NewsCutter v10.5.4, ISIS 7000 v4.6.1, Interplay 2.7, Interplay Central 1.8 [view my complete system specs]

• Sat, Oct 6 2007 6:50 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

Curious if there is any progress or update on this....

Menno
    35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Mon, Oct 22 2007 12:01 AM In reply to

• AusKen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 2 2006
    • Australia
    • Posts 18
    • Points 235

I've seen this once before and it ended up being a corrupt ummds.cache file. In our case we removed the indexer from the HAG, stoped the media indexer service, navigated to C:\Program Files\Avid\AvidMI\state\ and deleted all the cache files in this folder. We then rebooted the server and added it into the HAG.

Hope that helps,

Ken

Ken Brown

• Mon, Oct 22 2007 3:29 AM In reply to

• lawsonr
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • CBS News
    • Posts 313
    • Points 3,655

Two questions, Ken:

1.   What version of Interplay were you running at the time?

2.   Did you notice any significant system performance problems after you did this, as I assume the Indexers commenced re-indexing your storage? Would you recommend that I quiet my entire system before I tried this?

As a lucky coincidence, I just stumbled across a note about this in the latest Interplay 1.1.5/6 README files about clearing the Indexer cache this way. Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep the forums informed as soon as I have a chance to try this.

• Mon, Oct 22 2007 3:43 AM In reply to

• AusKen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 2 2006
    • Australia
    • Posts 18
    • Points 235

We're still running Interplay 1.0.4 and no we didn't notice a performance drop in fact the media indexer had been runing poorly with the missing media location. Our HAG has 3 members and 2 delegates which we reboot daily to improve performance. This is not an Avid recomendation but something we did to improve overall system stability and performance. We deleted the cache files late in the day but there were still peopl on the system and they were unaffected. However there is an issue with 1.0X software where the client doesn't re-connect to annother member of the HAG when the media indexer it is attached to goes away. So it's worthwhile warning users before doing this that they may have to reboot their system if their media goes offline.

As an aside we are planning to upgrade to Version 1.1.6 as soon as we have completed testing on it (some time in November we hope). So hopefully many of these issues will be fixed.

Ken Brown

• Mon, Oct 22 2007 8:34 PM In reply to

• Stephen Hull
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 420

When we have entries like that it is because an editor connected an external firewire drive to the MC system and Interplay found and indexed it.  Once indexed, it replicates to our slave system.  I remove the entry on the primary indexer but the change never replicates.  I end up restarting our secondary indexer to remove the entry.

I know it's not cool to restart systems but it is the only "fix" we have.  We did report it to AVID so hopefully they will address it.

Stephen Hull

Media Manager

Winnercomm Tulsa, OK

Unity, ISIS, Interplay, Media Composers [view my complete system specs]
    Stephen H Media Manager WinnerComm Tulsa, OK
  • Mon, Oct 22 2007 9:19 PM In reply to

• Highnoon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 11 2006
    • Denver, CO USA
    • Posts 60
    • Points 700

the joy of 24/7 operations. you could always plead for a service window around mid-night-shift-smoke-break-time.

we're lucky enough to operate 20/6. lazy, i know, but the kids need saturday off for morale.

it should be simple enough to find a few minutes to unjoin each of the secondaries from the hag, then restart the MIservice in Workgroup Properties, then rejoin the HAG. In terms of resetting the weighting on the secondaries when you remove them, it may require that you leapfrog backwards. unjoin the second highest weight first, then rejoin at a weight below the remaining secondary, and then remove and join the last secondary as the least weighted.....

don't hold me to that. just guessing.

seems like the editors connected to that particular member of the HAG would just join one of the others once you remove the MI from the HAG, and restarting the MIService would retrieve the most current media table from the President once you rejoin the HAG.

This interplay framework is twitchy, we've had to scrap the HAG-delegate relationship until 1.1.6 is available, due to instability. blast!

:shaking fist:

39 MCsoft 2.7.7 w/Mojo HP XW8000-8200 Avid ISIS 1.4 64TB Avid Interplay 1.1.6 60 Avid Interplay Assist 1.6 2 Dual Boot Symphony Nitris/DS v8.0 HPXW9300... [view my complete system specs]
    Eli Hensley | High Noon Entertainment Technical Services Manager & Morale Officer the race for quality has no finish line...so technically it's more like a death march.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller