Latest post Wed, Oct 19 2005 5:04 PM by Tim Scarpino. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 17 2005 2:58 PM

Regarding nesting...

It would be nice to have nesting capability for audio effects.  It would also be nice to be able to hear audio when working inside of a video nest.
    Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Oct 17 2005 3:27 PM In reply to

Re: Regarding nesting...

Hi Larry,

I agree about audio nesting.  As for hearing your audio tracks inside a video nest, you can do this if you step into the nest by CTRL+double-clicking the effect while in effects mode.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Oct 17 2005 3:53 PM In reply to

Thanks, Carl!  It just goes to show you're never too experienced to learn something new about Composer.
    Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Oct 17 2005 4:21 PM In reply to

Yeah, I just learned that one last week.  It's also good if you're trying to position something inside a matte key, because you can see the matte while you're using 3d warp (or resize) to position the fill video.

adios,
    Carl

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Tue, Oct 18 2005 2:02 PM In reply to

Larry and Carl, while a bit off-topic, but in keeping with always being able to learn more about MCA, I 'm wondering if there's a keystroke command/shortcut that allows you to "select" every clip to the right or left of the blueTimeline indicator?

This would be VERY helpful when trying to insert clips into an existing sequence, and is one of thing I miss most since my migration from Media 100.

Thanks,

Tim

Avid MCA V6.0.3.1 on HP z800 w/Avid Nitris DX Windows 7 - 64bit 12 gig RAM QT v7.6 Graphics Card Nvidia Quadro FX3800 Processor: Dual Quads Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 18 2005 5:00 PM In reply to

Tim:

I don't know of a single keystroke command or shortcut that would "select all" either before or after the blue position bar, but inserting clips into an existing sequence is easy enough using the "splice in" instead of "overwrite" edit command at the marked in point of the sequence.  Every clip on active tracks will slide further down the timeline according to the length of the clip(s) you are inserting.

HTH

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Oct 18 2005 5:32 PM In reply to

Tim Scarpino wrote:

Larry and Carl, while a bit off-topic, but in keeping with always being able to learn more about MCA, I 'm wondering if there's a keystroke command/shortcut that allows you to "select" every clip to the right or left of the blueTimeline indicator?

Hi Tim,

The only way I know is to lasso the clips.  This selects them in segment mode.

Like Larry suggests, if you splice-in as opposed to overwrite, it'll move everything down the timeline.  If you have sync locks turned on for all your tracks, everything down the timeline will stay in sync after you splice in the new material.  Hope that helped.

good luck,

Carl

• Tue, Oct 18 2005 8:33 PM In reply to

Larry and Carl,

This, perhaps, simply illustrates the "attention-hogging" nature of MCA.   In order to insert a clip, I need to make sure my TL indicator is where I want it (duh), Select all the tracks, Collapse the Timeline view to BE SURE all tracks/clips are selected before I insert. and then watch everything to make sure it ALL moves to the right on the insert.

Then, deselect tracks, maginfy the timeline view, etc., etc,

f I want to insert a :05 second shot, it's sure'd be nice to simply hit apple + H (shame on me!) to select everything to the right of the incator, click my red arrow and then move the who kit-and-kabootle :05 sec to the right.

Not complaining you see, just (as always with all things AVID) wondering.

Thanks,

Tim

Avid MCA V6.0.3.1 on HP z800 w/Avid Nitris DX Windows 7 - 64bit 12 gig RAM QT v7.6 Graphics Card Nvidia Quadro FX3800 Processor: Dual Quads Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 18 2005 9:02 PM In reply to

Different strokes for differnt backgrounds Tim.
    Sync locks as already suggested work a treat. Including the flexibility to unlock tracks you dont want to move. Like the music track maybe?

Or  Mark in, Ctrl A to select all tracks, insert, shift Ctrl A to deselect all tracks. No need to check!!!  it just works.

• Tue, Oct 18 2005 9:50 PM In reply to

Tim Scarpino wrote:
    In order to insert a clip, I need to...Select all the tracks, Collapse the Timeline view to BE SURE all tracks/clips are selected before I insert. and then watch everything to make sure it ALL moves to the right on the insert.

Hi Tim,

Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you don't trust the system. Smile [:)]  If I'm cutting a :05 clip into a sequence, I just park where I want it to go and splice the sucker in.  I know I've got sync locks turned on, so aside from the video and audio tracks where I want to splice the new clip in, it doesn't matter what tracks are on or off.

adios,

Carl

• Wed, Oct 19 2005 1:03 PM In reply to

I understand your desire to streamline the process, but it seems that a macro function is the only solution to accomplishing your desired workflow.  It sure would be nice if Avid would incorporate some type of macro functionality into their software, but I also have to agree with Andrew and Carl regarding the use of sync locks and select all for tracks as good shortcuts and time savers.  One of the things I've always liked about Avid is that there are many different techniques to accomplishing the same task...it's just a matter of what you as a user are most comfortable with.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Oct 19 2005 5:04 PM In reply to

Hi Tim,

Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you don't trust the system.

Carl, it's NOT the SYSTEM I don't trust Wink [;)]

I agree w/Larry.  Mucho ways to accomplish the same task, but I'll always ask the question(s).

Thanks,

Tim

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller