Latest post Tue, Jul 31 2007 10:49 PM by NP. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 24 2007 1:02 AM

• GinoEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 30 2006
    • Charleston, SC
    • Posts 30
    • Points 470

Adjusting Audio Levels

Few questions...

I am having trouble adjusting the audio levels.  I can open the audio mixer and bring the level down for a selected track, but it brings the entire clip down to the same level.  How do I make multiple marks on a selected track and pull down the sound so as to fade up/down?

Another problem I'm having is setting my ins/outs on the timeline and setting an in-point on my source.  But when I try to click over-write, I get an error message saying Sync Match is on??

Thanks,

Gino

Dell Inspiron E1505 intel duo core processor at 1.66 GHz, 1 GB RAM memory. Avid Liquid v7.1. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 24 2007 1:49 AM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,155
    • Points 57,815
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Adjusting Audio Levels

Use rubberbanding... it will enable you to basically draw a curve (with edit nodes -- i.e. key framing) which corresponds to the audio levels... you can do manual fades, etc., and VERY precise control of audio levels.

You can turn Sync Lock on and off... check your online help file.
    MC 8.0, Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), 17" Macbook Pro i7 with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive. Suite 2. MC5, Dell Precision 650, 3.06 Ghz, Two internal... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 24 2007 1:53 AM In reply to

• GinoEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Charleston, SC
    • Posts 30
    • Points 470

Where do I find rubberbanding and what controls do I use to create this option on the timeline?

Thanks!

Dell Inspiron E1505 intel duo core processor at 1.66 GHz, 1 GB RAM memory. Avid Liquid v7.1. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 24 2007 2:00 AM In reply to

• MrFixIt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 16 2007
    • Posts 23
    • Points 265

GinoEdit:

Few questions...

I am having trouble adjusting the audio levels.  I can open the audio mixer and bring the level down for a selected track, but it brings the entire clip down to the same level.  How do I make multiple marks on a selected track and pull down the sound so as to fade up/down?

Another problem I'm having is setting my ins/outs on the timeline and setting an in-point on my source.  But when I try to click over-write, I get an error message saying Sync Match is on??

Thanks,

Gino

What you're observing with audio levels is exactly as it is designed to work. To change audio level in specific parts of an audio track you need to use audio gain automation

To view the audio level in the timeline, select Clip Gain in the Timeline fast menu (the hamburger button). If the audio track is too small to see use the CTRL + L key combination repeatedly (CTRL + K reduces size).

Key frames can now be added to allow manual adjustment of the volume. Move the timeline indicator to the start of the clip you want to adjust and press the 'N' on your keyboard. This will place a small pink marker to indicate a keyframe has been set. Moving the timeline indicator to the end of the clip and adding another keyframe will allow you to drag the audio level up and down for the entire clip. Placing further keyframes within the clip will then allow you to adjust the level around the position of the keyframe.

If you get the Sync Match warning it is because you have Sync Lock selected on your time line and what you're trying to do will mean the audio will be out of sync in relation to the original timeline clip and the clip you're overwriting with. If you really want to do this, and in many cases you would, switch-off the Sync Lock on the track you want to use. The Sync Lock is the button/icon to the left of the track selectors.

• Tue, Jul 24 2007 2:08 AM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,155
    • Points 57,815
    • BlogAuthor

Sorry... I was booting my  Media Composer to offer more specifics (so I wasn't going from memory) and my system crashed.

Looks like Mr. Fixit beat me to it.

There is a good explanation of rubberbanding in the online help... but you can't search on the term. Search for Audio, then look under "adjusting volume in Timeline." It is under "Using Automation Gain and Pan."

MC 8.0, Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), 17" Macbook Pro i7 with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive. Suite 2. MC5, Dell Precision 650, 3.06 Ghz, Two internal... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 24 2007 2:10 AM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,155
    • Points 57,815
    • BlogAuthor

Oh... and fwiw, look up Sync, then "Sync Lock button (Track Selector panel) for a diagram of the Sync Lock button location in the timeline.

• Tue, Jul 24 2007 2:11 AM In reply to

• GinoEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Charleston, SC
    • Posts 30
    • Points 470

Thanks for the great help FixIt... I will try these suggestions tomorrow at work.  My piece is supposed to air Friday and I'm new to the Adrenaline.  I worked on Newscutter at my previous station and this has way more bells and whistles so I'm adjusting to the different settings/tools/menus/etc.

• Tue, Jul 24 2007 2:38 AM In reply to

GinoEdit:

Thanks for the great help FixIt... I will try these suggestions tomorrow at work.  My piece is supposed to air Friday and I'm new to the Adrenaline.  I worked on Newscutter at my previous station and this has way more bells and whistles so I'm adjusting to the different settings/tools/menus/etc.

Keyframing/Rubberbanding, Audio Automation Gain, etc have all been staples in the Avid product line for a long time.  The Audio Settings are and have been in the same places for as long as I can remember.  I know that it can be intimidating, but the fact that you're now on an Adrenaline doesn't mean "boo" with regards to basic functionality like Audio Gain adjustment.  Read through the manual. 
    MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Jul 31 2007 6:31 PM In reply to

• grinner
    • Not Ranked
    • stl
    • Posts 60
    • Points 910

tre is always more than one way to mlk a goat.

I don't use rubberbanding because I like to kee my tracks itty bitty and I like to utilize my ram for babying adrenaline. I just add edits and dissolves and use the mixer. Much much quicker and precise for me.

• Tue, Jul 31 2007 6:37 PM In reply to

• DRW
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 9 2005
    • TORONTO
    • Posts 570
    • Points 6,945

Quicker yes, precise - not so much. IMHO the best way is to use a MIDI interface controller and actually mix the show live, that way you can get precise, natural fades, in real time.

=DRW

1-800-IMRENDERING

• Tue, Jul 31 2007 7:07 PM In reply to

DRW:
    IMHO the best way is to use a MIDI interface controller and actually mix the show live, that way you can get precise, natural fades, in real time. .02 =DRW
    Sounds like a shakey (Rocky) option to me. What happens when your fader hand flutters with antici............pation!

Please make Enter Slip and Enter Slide mode selection available for mapping (to buttons or KB) via the Command Palette.

• Tue, Jul 31 2007 7:17 PM In reply to

• DRW
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 9 2005
    • TORONTO
    • Posts 570
    • Points 6,945

Not possible. I had my hands replaced with robotic armatures last year.

;)

=DRW

1-800-IMRENDERING

• Tue, Jul 31 2007 8:40 PM In reply to

• grinner
    • Not Ranked
    • stl
    • Posts 60
    • Points 910

I can see how that would be as precise as typing in a numeric value but for those of us who are not robotic... the mixer may be the way to go.

;)

• Tue, Jul 31 2007 10:49 PM In reply to

• NP
    • Not Ranked
    • Edmonton
    • Posts 51
    • Points 560

The cut, adjust and dissolve method is better for a work in progress as you can trim the dissolves rather then losing nodes when you trim.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller