Latest post Wed, Aug 23 2006 4:55 AM by spectell0. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 6 2005 5:22 PM

Create a countdown timer!

Does anyone know how I can make a timer to countdown from 30 seconds to 0 seconds without having to make 30 different titles?
    Dell Workstation: 2.5 GB RAM, ATI Radeon, 550GB hardrives. Avid Xpress Pro HD Studio Essentials: Avid Xpress Pro HD, Avid FX, Avid 3D, Avid DVD, Pro Tools... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 6 2005 5:30 PM In reply to

• HamNCheese
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 352
    • Points 5,270

Re: Create a countdown timer!

30 different titles is the way to do it.  But for me, it's so fast to do it's not even an issue.  Probably less time than it took to type this question!  Then once done you save the sequence and you can use it again in future projects.
    freelance, I work on a lot of systems [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 6 2005 6:35 PM In reply to

Alright    can't i save a title that is 30 and save and reopen it and change it to 20 so it won't change position
    Dell Workstation: 2.5 GB RAM, ATI Radeon, 550GB hardrives. Avid Xpress Pro HD Studio Essentials: Avid Xpress Pro HD, Avid FX, Avid 3D, Avid DVD, Pro Tools... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 6 2005 6:37 PM In reply to

• HamNCheese
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 352
    • Points 5,270

Sure, that's the way I do it.  When you get to the single digits though you will have to re-center it.
  • Tue, Dec 6 2005 8:59 PM In reply to

• erik1185
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 1,024
    • Points 12,620

I wonder if there is an easy way to do this in Marquee?

Maybe write a script that will do this?
    MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5. 8 GB RAM. Intel Iris 1024 MB Graphics. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 6 2005 9:30 PM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,667
    • Points 20,295
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

You only need to create it once, then put it on tape and use it again and again.

We tend to make new countdowns every few months, it's one of the things we do when we're bored with no work to do.

2x HP Z400 Media Composer 7.0 w/Matrox MXO2 Mini, 1x HP Z800 Media Composer 7.0 w/Symphony & Nitris DX, 1x HP Z400 Media Composer 6.0 w/Mojo DX, 64TB... [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Tue, Dec 6 2005 9:34 PM In reply to

• HamNCheese
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 352
    • Points 5,270

You don't even need to put it on tape to reuse it again.  Just save it as a sequence and do a "re-create title media" next time you need it.  Then if you want, each time you use it again you can just stick it over whatever background shot goes with your project.
  • Wed, Dec 7 2005 9:19 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,667
    • Points 20,295
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Well, yeah, or you could export a clip, or mixdown.

We use tapes because we use the same countdowns in the linear suite, Flame, Infinity, Avids and anywhere else we can manage. If I'm making one in Avid, I quite like the highlight-a-number approach..

I have all numbers in a row... 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2
    And I make two copies of the title, one 50% grey, one 100% white. Then I keyframe the crop of the white one to reveal only th necessary number.

Variations on this that I've done are to have another line below of frames. And also another line above of tens.

I think I'll make an abacus countdown sometime soon.
    2x HP Z400 Media Composer 7.0 w/Matrox MXO2 Mini, 1x HP Z800 Media Composer 7.0 w/Symphony & Nitris DX, 1x HP Z400 Media Composer 6.0 w/Mojo DX, 64TB... [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Wed, Aug 23 2006 4:55 AM In reply to

• spectell0
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 4 2006
    • Posts 48
    • Points 535

Thank you.  Made it on a half circle/elevator style in photoshop and imported/ looks cool.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller