Latest post Mon, Mar 26 2012 1:57 PM by loki. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 16 2007 10:40 PM

• aurele77
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 16 2007
    • Posts 1
    • Points 55

avid exception: unsupported resolution

hello, I have installed Avid 5.7 academic on my mac book pro.

Configuration: 3 GB RAM, 160 GB HD, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB, LCD 1440 x 900 display. The config of the computer matches the Avid requirements to my knowledge.

At login I get 2 error messages:
    #1 -->"An error occured reading the Database file for the directory 'Macintosh HD:Applications:Avid Xpress Pro:SupportingFiles:Avid_MediaFiles'. Exception: 'omfiHPDomain_INIT_FAILED'
    The Database file 'msmMMOB.mmdb' may be corrupted."
    #2-->"Media will be unavailable in the media directory: Macintosh HD:Applications:Avid Xpress Pro:SupportingFiles:Avid_MediaFiles"

Then when I open my Avid Project (saved from the school's Avid 5.1 HD Pro previous version, on Windows) I get an "UNSUPPORTED RESOLUTION" exception error.

At first, I didn't even get an image in the composer window. When I go into effects editing mode, I do get an image now, but still get the error message and cannot scroll nor play the clip.
    Meanwhile, I can play clips from my scenes bin without any probem. It affects only the sequences from the timeline.

After reading other posts, I've tried deleting the msmMMOB.mdb file from the Avid_supporting files on the internal drive and the msmFMID.pmr / msmMMOB.mdb files from the OMFI folder on the external drive. It didn't work.
    i've also reinstalled and still not working.

I am cluless to what I should do, please help me, it's been more than a month I am trying to run Avid on my macbook, it's starting to get old...I've had to upgrade to the 5.7 version to get the dongle to work, now that this is fixed, I still can run my Avid...
    What does the exception error means and why are these files corrupted???
    Thanks for your help, I would truly appreciate!
    -Aurelie.
  • Mon, Apr 16 2007 10:57 PM In reply to

Re: avid exception: unsupported resolution

Since you indicate that you have already deleted and rebuilt the database files without results (very unsual in this case), that leads me to believe the sequence file itself is corrupted.  Try creating a fresh, new sequence and then edit this sequence end to end into the new one. DO NOT just duplicate the sequence as that will only duplicate the problem.

Also, can you play the sequence at all? In other words, can you play it up to a certain point or region and then it freezes?  If so, you have a corrupted clip somewhere in the timeline. 

To answer your other question, there never seems to be any explainable reason as to why files become corrupted...at least none that I've ever heard.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Apr 17 2007 1:28 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,663
    • Points 225,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

For some reason that I have not been able to track down, this happens to the files inside the Avid Media files folder upon installation.

Try this. First, be sure that you are in an OS user that hhas full administrator privileges. Now, uninstall the Avid software and trash the application folder completely. Now repair permissions on your HD. Restart your computer and reinstall the software again. Repair permissions again and see if the problem goes away. If not, there are a couple more things we can try.
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Sep 25 2009 8:28 PM In reply to

• lymetyme24
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 2 2009
    • Posts 1
    • Points 40

Found a fix for this (for me anyway) on a Mac.  I had the same problem "Exception: Unsupported Resolution".  Tried all the things the forums suggested, including a complete re-install of the MC software... STILL had the problem.  Eventually distilled it down to this: apparently the Avid did not think that's it "internally generated" media files were supported.  By "interally generated" I mean, basically, Avid internal BLACK signal media, etc.  Turns out the Avid software ships with an "Avid Media Files" folder in the Application folder than contains media and media databases.  Trash those 2 databases (just like you would on any regular media directory) and, upon relaunch, Avid rebuilds them and... poof... no more "Exception: Unsupported Resolution".  Here is the directory path to delete the database files:

/Applications/Avid Media Composer/SupportingFiles/Avid_MediaFiles/  ---> delete "msmMMOB.mdb" and "msmFMID.pmr"

Good luck and Godspeed.

Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Oct 12 2009 6:29 PM In reply to

• eddit13
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2009
    • NYC
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

This is probably late for the original author of this thread but here's what I did to fix this rather annoying error.

I crashed during an import so when I booted backup I got this error and we tried deleting the MSM files and restarting and all of that good stuff. None of it works. However I noticed as I went through my cuts, a very early cut was able to playback. So I went back to my corrupt cut and I did notice two things were offline (even though the whole cut doesn't play any video at all). So I noticed a title that I had collapsed into a scene had gone offline and when I removed the title (after getting two more "exception: unsupported resolution") everything came back online. Apparently one corrupt title can handicap an entire sequence. 

Anyway, that's my two cents.

home: Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X 10.7.1, 4 GB RAM, MC 5.5.3 work: Mac Pro 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, OS X 10.5.5, 10 GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 13 2009 1:53 PM In reply to

We experienced exactly the same problem on Windows XP + Avid Mediacomposer 3.5.
    The system would not load its own filler (!) into the player window - "exception: unsupported resolution"
    Deleting the "normal" media databases did not help.
    Your solution worked as a charm. Had to search for this "hidden" media directory with its supporting media files on the C:\ drive, but found it and deleted its media databases.

Result: everyhting works again!

• Tue, Jan 12 2010 6:35 PM In reply to

• MarcRose
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 19 2008
    • Rochester, NY
    • Posts 21
    • Points 320

Had the "Exception: Unsupported Resolution" error on a PC running MC 3.1.3. Clips played fine, but always had the error when trying to play a sequence unless it was a new sequence containing only 1 clip.  Problem was the media database files on the C drive that index things like filler. To find the files I used the Windows Search going to "more advance functions" and turning on the checkbox for "search hidden files and folders" and searching for "msmMMOB". Once found, I deleted the msmMMOB file and the msmFMID files. Relaunched Media Composer, watched the databases scan and rebuild on the C drive and verything worked!

MC 3.1.3, HP XW8400, 2TB Unity, [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 12 2010 6:43 PM In reply to

Mark:

Avid STRONGLY RECOMMENDS that media files never be written to the system C: drive, but to another separate drive, either internal, external or a RAID array. The C: drive has enough work to do just running and managing a very complex and demanding application, let alone be additionally tasked with storing, retrieving, cueing and seamless playback in real time of media stream fragments. You will very quickly overtask your system drive.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 12 2010 7:29 PM In reply to

• MarcRose
    • Not Ranked
    • Rochester, NY
    • Posts 21
    • Points 320

Yes I know!!!

These are media files Avid puts there for stuff like filler. I'm actually using a Unity for media storage on our 3 systems. I never put media to my system drives!!! DUH!!

• Tue, Jan 12 2010 7:36 PM In reply to

MarcRose:

Had the "Exception: Unsupported Resolution" error on a PC running MC 3.1.3. Clips played fine, but always had the error when trying to play a sequence unless it was a new sequence containing only 1 clip.  Problem was the media database files on the C drive that index things like filler. To find the files I used the Windows Search going to "more advance functions" and turning on the checkbox for "search hidden files and folders" and searching for "msmMMOB". Once found, I deleted the msmMMOB file and the msmFMID files. Relaunched Media Composer, watched the databases scan and rebuild on the C drive and verything worked!

I made the comment I did because NOWHERE in this post do you indicate that you are writing files to anything but your C: drive. No need to get rude.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 12 2010 10:26 PM In reply to

• MarcRose
    • Not Ranked
    • Rochester, NY
    • Posts 21
    • Points 320

Sorry Larry I had no intention to come off as rude. It did seem as though you thought (or jumped to the conclusion) I was ignorant enough to write my media to a system drive. If you had read my post more clearly..."Problem was the media database files on the C drive that index things like filler." perhaps you would not have felt it necessary to hit me over the head with the "Avid recommends...".

To be clear, the media and databases on the C drive are put there by Avid and contain various resolutions of Black (filler if you like) as well as other media for Offline and Format messages. on my system they're located at:

C:\Program Files\Avid\Avid Media Composer\Avid_MediaFiles

• Sun, Jul 4 2010 9:56 PM In reply to

• STEF
    • Not Ranked
    • France
    • Posts 22
    • Points 310

me too

=> It is not me who put these files on my system drive : it is avid during the installation of the Media Composer 5 suite !! Angry

From now I get these errors

1. Segment too small, without any consolidate process done (I put In/Out to play in In/Out range and find the file and reedit it)
    2. MSN : no directory specified
    3. exeption : unsupported resolution

... does the v5.0 I bought could be a pre alpha version ? Big Smile

Regards.

SteF

Asus z9PE D8 WS 2x E5 2687w, 32 GB memory Nvidia 770 4 GB Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme Windows 7 64b on Samsung Proi 256 SSD Media : Raid0 5x 1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 21 2010 5:06 AM In reply to

Thank you lymetyme, your solution worked for me on my PC!

Media Composer v4.0.5 again on a PC.

It took a lot of searching to find this solution.

-Lash

Antec P183 Antec CP-850 850W Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8MB Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Asus P6T Deluxe v2 OCZ Platinum DDR3-1600 12GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 1 2010 11:00 PM In reply to

MarcRose:

THANK YOU!

Started get the error this morning for no reason.  Searched and evetually found this.  Life-saver.

Avid should put this on the KB.

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Mon, Nov 15 2010 5:43 AM In reply to

• brucifer
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 84
    • Points 940

I also just had this problem, and by trashing the media databases in avid application folder, this worked for me.

cheers

Bruce

OS 10.6.7 2 x 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 3,1 8 GB 800 MHz DDR2 MC v.5.0.3.7 - Nitris DX Pro Tools v9.0.6 - RME Fireface 400 / MC 7.02 w/Symphony... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller