Latest post Fri, Jun 22 2018 5:29 PM by John. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 25 2007 4:41 PM

• david seay
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • plano, texas
    • Posts 30
    • Points 370

replace edit and keep effects

This has to be a simple maneuver, but I can't find the answer via the manual or forums so hopefully someone can help me.

I have some clips with nested effects (picture in picture).  I use the "step in" feature and replace the clips inside the nest easily, but it overwrites the picture in picture effect.

How can I do a replace edit and keep the effects intact?

Thanks,
    Dave

Mac Dual 2ghz g5 mac OSX 10.4.10 Mojo 3 gig ram Avid ver. 5.7.7 internal Maxtor 500gb drive Quicktime 7.2 Radeon 9800 pro video card [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 25 2007 4:49 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,630

Re: replace edit and keep effects

Are you stepping all the way in through every single effect?  You should keep hitting Step In until you see nothing but the original footage, in all of its full screen glory.  Mark the clip, replace it with another shot, then step out again.  It should preserve all of your effects that way.  If you don't step in until you're seeing nothing but the original clip, you will be replacing effects.

Michael.

• Thu, Aug 27 2015 9:54 AM In reply to

• Aleksandra
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 5 2014
    • Warsaw, Poland
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Hi,

I'm facing the same problem, I need to raplace 90% of the clips in my sequence, but I need to keep all the effects that are applied and there's a whole bunch of them. Isn't there any better way to do that than stepping in/out or saving the fx into bin and placing them back again? Like dragging the clip from source monitor with alt down, or something (that works in Premiere Pro)?

Also, I can't step in when there's a timewarp applied, so I'd have to save those effects anyway and place them back.

Any ideas? I'm on Avid MC 7.0.3.

Aleks

1 x HP Z400, Intel Xeon 3.33GHz, 12GB RAM, 64-bit, Windows 7, QT 7.7.5, Avid MC 7.0.3 w/ Nitris DX; 1 x HP PC, Intel Xeon 2.93GHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 22 2018 5:29 PM In reply to

• John
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 23 2010
    • Miami, Florida
    • Posts 33
    • Points 320

I believe you are stuck!  I have complained about this not too long ago, but for some reason, the above mentioned solution is how avid says to do what you are saying.  COME ON AVID, GET WITH THE PROGRAM!  if you need to see how this should work, open premeire and watch what they do!

Imacpro 10C, 64Gig, R64 - Decklink Monior [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller