Latest post Wed, Dec 20 2006 4:04 PM by LTedit. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 20 2006 4:34 AM

• Neil Sadwelkar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 13 2006
    • Mumbai, India
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Media Composer 2.6.x and network/sharing

I've just installed 2.6.4 (Mojo SDI) on a Dual G5 and gone through the optimizations suggected by Avid. - Turn off font smoothing, dock magnification, screen savers, hot corners, expose etc etc.

Two things I'd like to know about. And I did search the forum, but I'd like to know vis a vis the 2.6.x only

1. Sharing is supposed to be disabled. But what if one is on a system that's part of many and one needs to share with graphics and other finishing systems? Does anyone use MC 2.6.x with sharing enabled?  And can one import/export from MC from/to mounted network drives? Capture to them? Anyone tried?
    2. Spotlight is supposed to be disabled on all drives. Does anyone run MC 2.6.x with spotlight enabled?

Real-life experiences? Advice?

Neil

Neil from Mumbai
  • Wed, Dec 20 2006 5:53 AM In reply to

Re: Media Composer 2.6.x and network/sharing

neilsadwelkar:
    what if one is on a system that's part of many and one needs to share with graphics and other finishing systems? Does anyone use MC 2.6.x with sharing enabled?  And can one import/export from MC from/to mounted network drives? Capture to them? Anyone tried?

That's what a Unity/ISIS is for... a shared storage solution.

Capturing and sharing across a regular network to networked drives will not work if two people are accessing the same media files at the same time. Example, if I create a sequence using Clips A, B, and C and then someone starts using Clip B in another project, then there will be a conflict. Whenever a change is made that writes data to the networked drive then the media database files will get re-written, thus resulting in a drive scan to update. This drive scan will halt my work and anyone else who is using media from that same drive.

If your facility is large enough to employ graphics and finishing people, then it owes it to itself to invest in Unity or ISIS storage, actually Interplay wouldn't be a bad investment either.
    MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Dec 20 2006 2:22 PM In reply to

neilsaswelkar,

I agree with Kenton that if you're looking for a shared storage solution, UNity or ISIS is defiently the way to go.  There are other systems out there, but nothing shares on a file level basis like Avid products.

That being said, we do log into out regular server and import/export files all of the time with no problems.  No capture, though...that is exclusive to our Unity.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Dec 20 2006 2:27 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Same here. We share files over a network with mounted volumes all day long. No capturing though. A lot of those "optimizations" are good, in theory, but I run with none of them executed all day long. Spotlight is off on my drives just 'cause it's annoying when they index but, other than that, I just run the system "as is".
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Dec 20 2006 4:04 PM In reply to

• LTedit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 154
    • Points 1,985

The big issue with files sharing is that the avid doesn't like people accesing your disk while doing intense stuff...causing it to get under runs and such. I access network drives and non avids all day. If you want shared storage for your media, then unity or isis is really the only true "shared" storage.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller