Latest post Wed, Apr 4 2012 6:06 PM by videosmithlaguna. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 6 2006 4:57 PM

Reference Frames are Black in Menu

I have created a menu a while back and i worked, but now I am having a problem and ot sure if I am missing a step or doing something wrong. I set up my reference points in my avid timeline And inport the metsinc file in the DVD program. Hwever when I CTRL + move the reference frames to my menu, they come up black with no video frame. They are resizable and everything but they are black. Anyboy know what I am doing wrong? 

• Wed, Dec 6 2006 5:01 PM In reply to

• AdamG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 28 2006
    • N.E. UK
    • Posts 90
    • Points 1,080

Re: Reference Frames are Black in Menu

You got reference frames to transfer into AvidDVD? Tell me how you did it please. I've never managed to get it to work. Sorry can't help with your lack of video.
    XpressPro 5.7 + Studio Toolkit 5.6 + Mojo SDI HP XW8000 (dual 3.06GHz) QuadroFX1100 2.5Gig RAM 120Gig HDD QT 7.1 M.C 2.7 + Studio Toolkit 5.6 ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 7 2006 12:16 AM In reply to

I have gotten it to work by following the instructions. Don't know what else to tell you but it has worked for me in the past. Just stumped as to why I am getting black reference frames now. Does anybody know or has anyone experienced this?
  • Thu, Dec 7 2006 9:23 AM In reply to

• AdamG
    • Not Ranked
    • N.E. UK
    • Posts 90
    • Points 1,080

Cheers. Whenever I try the reference frames disapear. Chapter points are there, but no reference frames.
    XpressPro 5.7 + Studio Toolkit 5.6 + Mojo SDI HP XW8000 (dual 3.06GHz) QuadroFX1100 2.5Gig RAM 120Gig HDD QT 7.1 M.C 2.7 + Studio Toolkit 5.6 ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 7 2006 3:16 PM In reply to

I believe that is the problem I am experiencing. The chapter reference points are in the timeline in avid. But when I import the metadata in Avid DVD, the chapter points are there. But when I CTRL/drag those chapter points on to my menu, the reference frame is resizable and evrything as should be...but it is a black frame.

Kind of in a crunch to get this project finished and getting kind of desparate. If nobody has the solution, can someone point me to a link on how to create just generic chapter buttons? I just have to have some sort of menu as soon as I can. It doesn't have to be screen grabs (reference frames).

Thanks in advance 

• Thu, Dec 7 2006 3:27 PM In reply to

• AdamG
    • Not Ranked
    • N.E. UK
    • Posts 90
    • Points 1,080

In that case, I'd give on reference frames. They don't seem to work. I've asked this before here and got no response!

Have you got the tutorial that came with Avid DVD? That explains it quite simply.

• Thu, Dec 7 2006 6:08 PM In reply to

They have worked for me in the past though. If I have to give hem up I am wiling but desparately in need of some other way to make the chapters clickable in the menu. I HAVE to have this done by tomorrow and starting to freak out a little.

Anybody?

• Fri, Dec 8 2006 12:09 AM In reply to

I discovered something that may be a clue. As a test, I put a chapter mark over a piece of video and not black. When I Ctrl+dragged that chapter onto my menu, there was indeed a frame grab. so I am surmising that the video grabs that I am moving onto my menu are the first frames of each chapter which are black.

Thus, the reference clip marks are not registering. Hoping that this may provide a clue into someone figuring this out.

ps In the meantime I would still love a link on directions on how to create a menu with chapter buttons that does not require reference clips if anyone can help.
  • Fri, Dec 8 2006 5:07 AM In reply to

• SS_Scott
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 25 2006
    • Posts 28
    • Points 330

what version of Avid DVD are you using?
  • Fri, Dec 8 2006 10:05 AM In reply to

• AdamG
    • Not Ranked
    • N.E. UK
    • Posts 90
    • Points 1,080

You can type menu headings and create a button area around that. It's probably the easiest and quickest way. Unfortunately I'm not in front of my Avid today or I would have run you through it.

• Fri, Dec 8 2006 2:02 PM In reply to

The version of Avid DVD by Sonisc that i am using is 4.6.
    I am also using Avid Media Composer Adrenaline 2.1.6 
  • Tue, Dec 12 2006 1:27 PM In reply to

Well was going to miss the deadline so ended up sending it without a menu at all :(

But I will have more soon so if anybody has any answers I would really really appreciate it. Thanks
  • Wed, Dec 13 2006 6:54 PM In reply to

• KCHight
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 31 2005
    • Lanesville, IN
    • Posts 132
    • Points 1,795

Hello Jocahontas,
    I had this problem over a year ago (when I still had Avid Assurance) and went round & round with Avid Tech Support for over six weeks trying to resolve problems with Chapter Points, Reference Frames, and just exporting XML files from the Adrenaline. I never got a resolution, although occassionally everything would work perfectly!

I came up with a couple of work arounds. If you just want a still image on your menu, export a .jpg or other graphic file from your timeline and put that in your Menu Editor in Avid DVD. See the help regarding overlays to make them clickable. You might want to make your whole menu page(s) in Photoshop with the overlays.

If you want "animated button" in the menu, mark the area you want to be your reference in the Adrenaline timeline and export it as a QT. I think you can use the QT in Avid DVD, but I usually run it through Sorenson and make it an MPEG, using the same settings as my main movie. Again, using an overlay, you can insert the video and use it as a button. There are settings for looping the button clip or having it freeze at the end of the playback.

Once you understand the overlay process and get used to using Photoshop and exporting the correct things from the Adrenaline timeline, it is not a very difficult method for creating a menu.

Please take the time to "play" with it before you "have" to get a project out. It's much easier when the pressure is NOT on.

Good luck,
    Ken
    HPxw8200, twin Xeon 3.4 Ghz, 4.00 GB RAM, 8 external Ultra 320GB LVD SCSI in two 4-way stripes, internal 140GB HDD partitioned to C and D, internal NEC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 4 2012 6:06 PM In reply to

When i shoot in 1080p 24 with a Canon that has MXF files it imports into Avid fine.  But when I try to do a qt ref out it works but the video clip plays on the hard drive but there the video is black and their is no audio.  If i try to do qt same as source i get the error that this is a long gop and i need to transcode.  Its not a long gop it 1080p 24 MXF-WTH!  I am now doing a regular QT file but it is 47 minutes long and takes about a half a day.  Also the QT Ref looks better than a new QT file.  Could their be a setting that I am not clicking.  The old pc system will do the 1080p fine with a QT ref to Avid DVD.  Also on the Apple I dont have Avid DVD i just have toast and it doesnt recognize a QT ref.

xw8400 4 gigs ram, fx 1500 composer 6.0 Avid DVD, AVID FX windows 7 [view my complete system specs]

RS

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller