Latest post Sun, Jul 2 2006 1:26 PM by berga. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 30 2006 8:05 AM

• kangelis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 14 2006
    • Sacramento, CA
    • Posts 204
    • Points 2,670

Having problems syncing clips in multicam

multicam looks very nice and I just learned some new thing with it but I have been having the most difficult time syncing 3 cameras. I can't sync by timecode because all cameras have different timecode so I tried syncing by inpoint. I set an inpoint in each of my 3 cameras at the exact same point. Then  highlighed them all in the bin and clicked Bin/Group Clips. I got a pop-up box that asked me how I wanted to sync my clips so I selected Inpoints. When I got into multicam mode and I saw all 3 cameras in the source monitor, they were not in sync. I am using version 5.5.1 and it didn't match up all my inpoints. I tried it with outpoints and it failed to match those up to. Am I doing something wrong here?

Avid Media Composer 2.6.6, dual processor 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, OS X 10.4.8, QuickTime 7.1.5, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650 w/ 256MB VRAM, 300GB Seagate Barracuda... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 30 2006 8:07 AM In reply to

• kangelis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sacramento, CA
    • Posts 204
    • Points 2,670

Re: Having problems syncing clips in multicam

I have noticed that when I lay down this miss-matched group into my sequence, there is black or dark grey in the source monitor where two of the cameras should be and only one camera shows video. I advance into my group on the sequence and then I eventualy see all three cameras. So it seems there are areas where I get black or dark grey where I should see some of my cameras. When not in group clip mode and I use those cameras, I don't get black or dark grey in the source monitor, I get video.
    Avid Media Composer 2.6.6, dual processor 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, OS X 10.4.8, QuickTime 7.1.5, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650 w/ 256MB VRAM, 300GB Seagate Barracuda... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 30 2006 8:32 AM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,930
    • Points 82,230
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

I noticed the same thing... investigating...

Menno

ps i would appreciate keeping info as much a spossible to 1 thread at the time.. makes the forum more searchable..
    Multiple systems @ home and working with multiple MC6.x Interplay, IPcentral etc. In short.. all Avid ;-) ok ok and a few stray FCP's. [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Fri, Jun 30 2006 8:36 AM In reply to

• kangelis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sacramento, CA
    • Posts 204
    • Points 2,670

Are these isolated cases or are all grouped clips not being synced? I haven't tried anything else other than the current 3 cameras I am working with on this project. Now that I've learned how to use multicamera in Avid, it won't sync the clips for me!
  • Fri, Jun 30 2006 8:45 AM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 6,930
    • Points 82,230

I was not able to sync on in points as well... as said... i am investigating and asking the right people if they can reproduce the problem as well...

I'll keep you posted...

Menno
    Multiple systems @ home and working with multiple MC6.x Interplay, IPcentral etc. In short.. all Avid ;-) ok ok and a few stray FCP's. [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

My Keys

• Fri, Jun 30 2006 9:15 AM In reply to

• kangelis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sacramento, CA
    • Posts 204
    • Points 2,670

Thanks for your help. I hope that I will soon be able to sync on inpoints. By the way, do you work for Avid?
  • Fri, Jun 30 2006 9:30 AM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 6,930
    • Points 82,230

kangelis:
    Thanks for your help. I hope that I will soon be able to sync on inpoints. By the way, do you work for Avid?

You are welcome and no o do not work for Avid... being a moderator just gives some extra means to get in touch with the right people when needed... that is part of our "job" to see problems and escalate them when needed...

Menno

Twitter Account

My Keys

• Fri, Jun 30 2006 7:06 PM In reply to

• kangelis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sacramento, CA
    • Posts 204
    • Points 2,670

At last I have been able to sync my cameras. advanced to a different part of the event and synced with in points and this time it worked.. I suppost it didn't like my original points.
  • Fri, Jun 30 2006 7:12 PM In reply to

Is this in 5.2 or 5.5?

Brian Williams
    Senior Principal Software Engineer
    Media Products Group
    Avid Technology, Inc.

"Be a non-conformist like me!"

• Fri, Jun 30 2006 7:23 PM In reply to

• kangelis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sacramento, CA
    • Posts 204
    • Points 2,670

• Fri, Jun 30 2006 7:30 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 6,930
    • Points 82,230

5.5, been trying again this afternoon to no avail...

Menno

Twitter Account

My Keys

• Fri, Jun 30 2006 9:04 PM In reply to

Are you creating group clips or multi group clips?  Are you creating them based on inpoint, timecode, some other method?  Can you play the group clip alone by toggling quad split mode while the source monitor is selected and then playing?

Note, the quad split button acts differently based on which monitor it is assigned to or which monitor is selected if you are using the command palette. When it is clicked from the timeline or from the record monitors command buttons, or while the record monitor has focus, then it enters multicam mode.  If it is clicked from the source or pop-up monitor command buttons or while those monitors have focused, it enters group clip mode.

If you can not play from group clip mode, and you have a Mojo connected, click the DNA button on the timeline to enter 1394 mode, then make certain Output to DV Device is deactivated.  Then try to playback the multicam sequence or group clip.

Brian Williams
    Media Products Group
    Avid Technology, Inc.

• Fri, Jun 30 2006 9:09 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 6,930
    • Points 82,230

Brian,

select 4 master clips... set in point in every single one of them... select the 3 (or 4) clips and select group clips at that point i select to sync on in points (since i do not have matching timecode availabe). That will leave me a grouped clip... open in source window, quad view (on the keyboard F4) and go into multicam mode shift+ctr+M .. and hit play...

Quad view plays without a hitch and i can select the cam i need.. but they are not synced at inpoints.. i get different point then i selected in the masterclip.

Menno

Twitter Account

My Keys

• Fri, Jun 30 2006 9:45 PM In reply to

Menno, how far off is the cut from the point you intended the edit?  Are you playing out to a Mojo while performing the cut?  If so, switch to 1394 mode by pressing the DNA button in the timeline, and try the edit again, let me know if it is more accurate?

Brian Williams
    Media Products Group
    Avid Technology, Inc.

• Fri, Jun 30 2006 10:13 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 6,930
    • Points 82,230

Brian forgive me.. i made a stupid mistake.... (used a version i was not supposed to... stupid) seems fine here at the home system 5.5.1 no mojo... I will check monday but i am pretty sure i made a stupid mistake at the office machine...

Menno

Twitter Account

My Keys

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller