Latest post Sun, Jan 12 2020 5:22 AM by camoscato. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 11 2020 6:17 AM

Please help. Project completely disappeared

Hi all

I have been working in a long form project in Media Composer 2019.7, but when I opened the project today the project window was completely empty...like there was literally nothing there. No bins. No sequences. No nothing, just a blank page, as if I was starting the project from scratch.

I exported a low res viewing copy to the producer just recently, and have not moved any media, any bins, haven't updated the application, nor fiddled with any of the avid folders such as the Attic, so it's extraordinarily odd that I now have nothing.

Upon looking in the bin folder within the Avid Attic folder I can see a whole ton of file names relevant to my project, so all my work over the past year on this project is still on the computer, but Media Composer has randomly decided to do some sort of clear out, leaving me with an empty project. 

As part of my troubleshooting I attempted to bring in a couple of bins back into my project one by one, but all this achieved was a whole bunch of random bins that weren't in their original filing structure I had set out at the beginning of the project. 

I noticed that the Avid Link wasn't working correctly, and thought this may have something to do with it, so I changed my password a couple of times (I received an "unknown error" message throughout this process several times) and eventually did a restart which corrected the Avid Link login issue, but not my disapparearing project issue.

If anyone has ever come across anything like this before and can offer some assistance it would be greatly appreciated. I would ultimately like to just open my project as it was a week or two ago with all my bins and sequences in place.

Thank you

Chris

• Sat, Jan 11 2020 9:19 AM In reply to

Re: Please help. Project completely disappeared

Hi Chris,

Is this on Media Compser First, or the full version of Media Composer? I'm asking because you posted in the MC First forum but you say you're running Media Composer 2019.7, so I'm unsure.

Either way, it would help to know more about the system you're working on. Which specific OS? What processor? What video card? How much RAM? Where is your media stored? 

Media Composer 2019.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Jan 11 2020 2:04 PM In reply to

Not sure about First and I wouldn't be doing a lomng form Project in it as you have no way to move to finishing!

But for regular Media Composer:

There are 3 locations MC saves Projects.

Private is in the Avid Projects folder in your logon documents folder

Shared is in the Avid Projects folder in the Shared Public documents folder (accessible to all users)

Or External which is any folder that you've navigated to.

So if you click on Private and then Shared and cant' see it it's likely it was in External and you'd lost the path to it.

If you know the name of the Project try a coputer wide search for that name.

Could it have been on an external drive now removed?

The attic could be used to rebuild the Project but it contains copies of Bins one save behind whats saved in the Project so not idea.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Jan 12 2020 4:03 AM In reply to

Hi Camoscato

It's the full version of Media Composer.  I couldn't find the correct board to post this to so I went straight to this one.

I am running Windows 10 with 32 GB ram and the media is stored on an internal HD. the system I'm running is an 64 bit operating system with and Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60 GHz CPU

I have partially figured out this issue now but not completely.  I managed to get my sequences back up and running again but still all my bins are missing.  I managed to get my sequences back up by going into the documents folder on my PC, then the Avid Projects folder, then just navigated to the Sequences folder of this particular project.  so I can continue finishing off the edit, but to use any additional footage I'll need to access the media, which used to be in the bins I set up at the start, but all these bins are still missing.  As I mentioned in my initial post, all the bins are sitting in the Attic, but not in the project window anymore.

• Sun, Jan 12 2020 5:22 AM In reply to

aviduser2018:
    I managed to get my sequences back up by going into the documents folder on my PC, then the Avid Projects folder, then just navigated to the Sequences folder of this particular project.

It sounds like Pat is on the right track then with his suggestion:

Pat Horridge:

There are 3 locations MC saves Projects.

Private is in the Avid Projects folder in your logon documents folder

Shared is in the Avid Projects folder in the Shared Public documents folder (accessible to all users)

Or External which is any folder that you've navigated to.

So if you click on Private and then Shared and cant' see it it's likely it was in External and you'd lost the path to it.

When you start Media Composer, the Select Project window is where you'd select where your Avid Projects folder is. Click on the folder button at the upper left of the window and navigate to the same Avid Projects folder where you found the Sequences bin of your project. If you select that Avid Projects folder you should be able to select your project from the list of projects and hopefully it will open with everything in the right place.

aviduser2018:

It's the full version of Media Composer.  I couldn't find the correct board to post this to so I went straight to this one.

For future reference, the Media Composer PC forum is here:

http://community.avid.com/forums/49.aspx

Media Composer 2019.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller