Latest post Thu, Jan 9 2020 9:14 PM by Marianna. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 6 2020 5:17 PM

• slim66
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 20 2012
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

S1 and Media Composer

Folks,

Anyone have experience using the S1 to control the audio mixer in Media Composer?  Specifically, I'd like to be able to control groups of tracks on the thimeline with a single fader on the S1 (submix).  Also, it would be nice to control real time effect plugin parameters.

Any insight or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Slim 

• Mon, Jan 6 2020 5:26 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,893
    • Points 226,925
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: S1 and Media Composer

Slim

Checking with the product dude for S1.... he is travelling in the UK but hope to connect with him today or tomorrow am

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Jan 6 2020 9:31 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,893
    • Points 226,925
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Slim

I checked and was provided the following information:   

Re: I'd like to be able to control groups of tracks on the timeline with a single fader on the S1 (submix).

Media Composer has no bussing and routing, so there isn’t a true “submix” that could be assigned to a fader.  However, if you “gang” multiple faders together in the audio mixer, they can be controlled as a group as long as the gang remains intact.  You add and remove tracks from the gang using the “tank tread” icons across the top of the mixer. Here is a mixer with eight tracks, first three are “in the gang”:

There is only one gang at a time.  The gang icon is not available on the surface, you have to go to the on-screen UI to change which tracks are included in the gang.  You can try this in any running Media Composer.  If you add some tracks to the gain and move any one fader from within the gang, they will all move together.  Same thing happens if you move a corresponding fader on the S1.

Re: it would be nice to control real time effect plugin parameters

This can’t be done in Media Composer.

HTH

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jan 7 2020 1:23 AM In reply to

• slim66
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Marianna,

Thanks for your help with this.  The lack of additional functionality through the S1 is dissapointing.  I was hoping to be able to control groups of tracks without constantly latching and unlatching the "tank treads", and generally clicking alot with the mouse.

BTW-is there a center detent function for the faders?  Other than, you know, going back to the GUI and clicking...

Thanks,

Slim

• Thu, Jan 9 2020 8:55 PM In reply to

• slim66
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

All,

After working with the S1 for a few days, I can't find any way this extends funtionality of the audio mixer in Media Composer, with the exception of the solo and mute buttons.

While it is true I can gang a group of faders in the mix tool, when I grab them on the S1, they do not track simultaneously.  There is drag, or latency, which results in the individual tracks having different levels, rather than moving together.

If there are addtional features that the S1 unlocks or extends in Media Composer, I would love to know.  For something that is advertised as having "deep integration" with Media Composer, I feel like I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Slim

• Thu, Jan 9 2020 9:14 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,893
    • Points 226,925
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Slim,

Since it just came out I woud hedge to bet that MC and Eucon software will evolve to suport some additional features outside of gangs....  

I can dig deeper into when.....

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller