Latest post Fri, Dec 6 2019 3:54 PM by BobRusso. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 27 2019 12:26 PM

ISIS 1000 |Nexis Pro: Engine Under Temperature Warning Detected

Hello

We have two ISIS 1000s installed in OB trucks that 'underheat' and run the fans at very high speed. This is unworkable for our clients as they are very noisy. I've searched the forums for this and see a post from Marianna about this and upgrading the firmware to 4.17b. As far as I can tell the firmware of both ISIS(es) are 2.00.1093c so up to date and we still get the error on at least on of them, if left running all day.

We've been in touch with Avid support who say there maybe some issue with the chassis. Seems unlikely as apparently it only started after the firmware was updated.The only thing i can see unusual is the date on on the 02 chassis was out of sync with the 01 chassis (now corrected), and the 02 chassis (the one with the issue) currently is orientated upside down. Also both chassis don't have an engine name, although not sure this is an issue.

Any thoughts appreciated. Both running system director 19.06.07

Company Avid Media Composer 7.0.4 x 9 licences with 2 x Symphony options. 6 x NITRIS DX 3 x Avid Artist DXIO, ISIS 5k. 3 x SRW 5500, 1 SRW 5800, 2 X M2000... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 27 2019 2:39 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,279
    • Points 28,165
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: ISIS 1000 |Nexis Pro: Engine Under Temperature Warning Detected

There are two different controllers that could be in a NEXIS | PRO. The fastest way to tell is if the controller has a QSFP adapter or not. The firmware in question is only for the first generation controllers with the QSFP.

If this is a first gencontroller, often the firmware update didn't complete the first time and needed to be run a couple of times.

There is a firmware update for the second gen controllers that only Avid Support can perform. Avid NEXIS firmware USM 1.37

Can you go to the agent for the engine: IP address:5015 
    Compare the two engines and see if anything jumps out. A screen shot of Status > Engine and Controllers could be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Wed, Nov 27 2019 3:36 PM In reply to

Thanks Bob - appreciated.. Looks like they're both are connected by QSFP adapters so maybe the firmware update didn't complete properly.. it was done by Avid to my knowledge. I've done screengrabs from both chassis and compared (attached). Don't see any differences.. although not sure how to tell if it's a first or second gen controller :)

Cheers

Company Avid Media Composer 7.0.4 x 9 licences with 2 x Symphony options. 6 x NITRIS DX 3 x Avid Artist DXIO, ISIS 5k. 3 x SRW 5500, 1 SRW 5800, 2 X M2000... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 27 2019 3:38 PM In reply to

Thanks Bob appreciated..

please see attached screengrabs for both chassis - it appears they are both the same from what i can tell..

not sure if they have 1st or 2nd gen QSFP adapters although the upgrade on firmware was done by Avid to my knowledge. and the problem started since the upgrade !!

Cheers

jake

• Wed, Nov 27 2019 4:14 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,279
    • Points 28,165
    • Avid Employee

If the controller has a QSFP, it's a first gen controller. The second gen controller doesn't have a QSFP and is the same controller that is in an E2. FYI, the BMC Version is not the firmware package version. To my knowledge the latest firmware package for this controller is 4.1.16d. You should check your my.avid account and see if the firmware is available, I believe it has been removed.

Are the two engines in a single storage group with one running the system director? 
    The fan speed being reported by the engines looks correct. Does one sound much louder? The issue with the firmware was that the fans wouldn't spin down, they would report 1000k+ it sounded like a jet engine

You can run the command that's in this document to check the firmware.

• Wed, Nov 27 2019 5:10 PM In reply to

Thanks Bob for the speedy response.. It does appear to be a QSFP adapter, as its approx 18mm by 10mm. Not sure that is the same on the E2.

Each chassis, to my knowledge, normally run on different trucks so are not networked together normally, therefore each one is running the system director. The fan speed is currently correct as today I haven't been able to reproduce the error. Although we did have the error yesterday and it's been confirmed the fan speed is the same as when you boot the system up - IE as you describe the jet engine, hence it being unworkable in an OB unit. 

Have run the command as attached document and unfortunately doesn't work. So perhaps the firmware update didn't work afterall. Am done here today and off on OB from tomorrow. Am hoping to leave the machine up so Avid can remote in and will let you know if we get anywhere with it. If not will pick up with it next week when I'm back

Cheers

• Thu, Nov 28 2019 9:18 AM In reply to

Ok, left both systems running overnight (with no clients connected) and sure enough from early this morning..

we reached fan speeds of roughly 2500rpms as you can see below!

• Mon, Dec 2 2019 9:49 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,279
    • Points 28,165
    • Avid Employee

This is a different issue from the firmware in question. Are you certain you have a QSFP? This is typically a 40GigE connection that the PRO is using for 10GigE so a 10GigE SFP+ is connected to the QSFP adapter. 
    You are going to need to have Avid look at the system.

• Fri, Dec 6 2019 3:43 PM In reply to

Thanks Bob. Yes it's the same mellanox adapter unit as per above picture, with an SFP+ 10 gig transceiver within. 

Our Avid support engineer have tried firmware update r4.1.7b1_v2.bin which has failed. Can we RMA the machine? Unfortunately there was also a PSU error now.

• Fri, Dec 6 2019 3:54 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,279
    • Points 28,165
    • Avid Employee

I no longer work for Avid, you'll need to contact support. I don't believe it is the issue the firmware resolved, what you described is not how it behaved.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller