Latest post Thu, Nov 7 2019 3:20 PM by Adrian Redmond. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 6 2019 4:51 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,535

Re-parenting clips to projects in bin

Hi all. I've been away on location most of the summer and fall and now return to my edit suite to take up where I left off - and there's a little problem I'd be happy for some advice about.

I'm working in a project that I created first two years ago - before I was finished shooting. The original project was called "601-132 The New Horizon 001"

Last year I created a new standard project layout using templater, introducing a lot of standard folders to access stock material and to organise the folders in a more logical way for all projects - having done this, I created a new project called "601-132 The New Horizon" and imported the original bins (.avb) to the new project leaving the original project empty. All the bins and clips are now accessible in the new project. So far so good.

Having completed the final shoot last month, I am now ingesting the last material, and I notice that the bin column "Project" for the ne material shows the name of the current project (which is OK) whilst the bins that I had logged last year in the original project show the project with it's old name.

I thought that this was logical seeinga s they were capured in that project.

But in the existing new project, if I do a media search in the media tool for all the clips in the current project, the original clips don't show up.

This doesn't prevent me working with the material, but it is untidy - especially on a project that will likely be held on archive for years to come.

So my question is this - is there any way in MC to "re-parent" a clip - or all the clips in a bin, to the current project name, so that all reference to earlier project names disappears?

I did experiment with re-capturing a single clip that was logged under the old project, to see if the re-capture. which I did under the current project would indicate the current project, but alas, no change.

And of course. MC dopesn't seem to allow editing the "Project" field in the bin :(

Any ideas on how to tidy up this anomoly?

Is it possible, using third party software, to edit the .avb bin file to re-parent the project reference?

Thanks!

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Wed, Nov 6 2019 7:31 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 527
    • Points 6,260

Re: Re-parenting clips to projects in bin

Yo,

I wouldn't primarily look for tidyness in the project association of the clips, but in the file locations on the harddisk.

Easiest way is a seperate harddisk/partition just for this project.

You can arrange your avid media anywhichway you like.

look at this thread for example:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/197743/885707.aspx#885707

all you have lost by having had two projects, is the use of the "relink to media of current project" option for relinking. this isn't a huge issue.

you can always pull all clips from an MXF folder by dragging the msmMMOB.mdb file to a bin. this is more useful than media tool imho.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 7 2019 12:26 PM In reply to

In a word no. Every bit of Avid media created has the Project name embedded.

You can conmsolidate media or transcoe media and the new media will then have nre current project name.

But you can't modify that embedded media creation project name.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Nov 7 2019 12:42 PM In reply to

The master clip is where the project association is, not the bin. In other words, even if you made new bins in a new project the master clips from the original project would still display the original project name in the "Project" column of the bin.

I have seen people suggest consolidating the original master clip while in the new project to change the master clip's project association, but I don't have a machine to test this with today to see if it definitely works. I'd suggest trying it on a short test clip to see what happens before you (potentially) waste a lot of time.

Media Composer 2019.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Nov 7 2019 3:20 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,535

Thanks for all your inputs!I have also concluded that the avb bins are uneditable on this issue.

The quickest solution I have found yesterday is to export the bin as an ALE file, then edit the ALE to change to project name, then copy the edited ALE file to a new bin, re capture the clips and then delete the original bin - this works, and for the few bins involved its worth doing to end up with a clean and tidy project.

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller