Latest post Mon, Nov 11 2019 5:13 PM by graubad. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 4 2019 7:39 PM

Avid Crashes / Won't Re-Open After Closing

Hello All,

I'm on a Mac Pro (Late 2013) running Mojave 10.14.6 and Avid 18.12.7.52530. After booting up my system, Avid opens and closes properly the first time I use it. After that, if I decide to re-open Avid, it crashes and "quits unexpectedly." The only way for me to resolve this currenty is to restart my system.

I uninstalled and re-installed Avid Media Composer this morning hoping that would resolve the issue, but it didn't. I have noticed that the last plug-in I see it trying to load is CATAAC.acf before it crashes if that helps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As always, thanks Avid community!

Mac Pro (Late 2013), MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3, Avid Media Composer 18.1.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 4 2019 7:45 PM In reply to

Re: Avid Crashes / Won't Re-Open After Closing

I found that if I removed "CATAAC.acf" from Avid Media Composer - Contents - SharedSupport - CodecToolkit, it opens properly.

Do I need this file? Does anyone know what it does?

Mac Pro (Late 2013), MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3, Avid Media Composer 18.1.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 4 2019 7:52 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,826
    • Points 226,045
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Can you do an uninstall of MC and a reinstall?  In many instatces that solved this.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Nov 4 2019 8:03 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna,

I did an uninstall / reinstall this morning before posting this and unfortunately, I still had the same issue.

By removing "CATAAC.acf," Avid now opens properly without crashing.

I just don't know what that file does and if it's ok to remove. It's located in AvidMediaComposer - Contents - SharedSupport - AVX2_Plug-Ins - CodecToolkit. I assume it has something to do with AAC audio files.

• Mon, Nov 4 2019 8:26 PM In reply to

I just noticed that 2018.12.8 has been available since mid-October. I will download / install that version of Media Composer and see if that corrects it!

• Mon, Nov 4 2019 8:53 PM In reply to

Updating to 2018.12.8 seems to have resolved the issue. Thanks!

Best,

LB

• Thu, Nov 7 2019 10:17 PM In reply to

• deditguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • Posts 20
    • Points 280

I'm having the same issue. Updated to 2018.12.8 and it didn't solve the problem.

Where is the Contents folder you're referring to? I don't see it anywhere in the Avid app folder.

Thanks

MC 2018.12.8, iMac Pro 2017, 2.3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 128GB Ram, OSX 10.14.6 AJA 4K Plus I/O box, G-Tech 48TB drive array [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 7 2019 10:29 PM In reply to

In your Applications folder, find the Avid Media Composer folder, then the AvidMediaComposer application. Right click the AvidMediaComposer application and select "show package contents." Then, you'll see a "Contents" folder.

I found that if I removed "CATAAC.acf" from Contents - SharedSupport - AVX2_Plug-Ins - CodecToolkit, it opened properly.

I only tried that because I noticed that plug-in was the one that appeared to stop the process of Avid opening properly. If there's something different being shown on the bottom of your Avid start-up window, you may want to try removing that.

However, please note that I don't know what negative effects this could cause in the program. I'm assuming the AAC.acf file I removed would have either affected the way AAC audio files were played / ingested into Avid or the ability to export them.

Hopefully, you'll find a resolution that doesn't require removing application files.

• Fri, Nov 8 2019 1:51 PM In reply to

• deditguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • Posts 20
    • Points 280

Thanks for the feedback. I deleted the CATAAC.acf plugin (keeping a copy on my desktop in case this causes another problem!), and MC launched without issue. I'll see how things go and if there are any adverse effects to removing it.

I've been having the issue for a while now, but typically if I relaunched the app once or twice it would work. It seems that the initial launch was always when it occurred.  Oddly enough, I also found that in situations where I repeatedly tried to open the app without success, if I waited a while and tried opening it again, it would work. Very strange.

MC 2018.12.8, iMac Pro 2017, 2.3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 128GB Ram, OSX 10.14.6 AJA 4K Plus I/O box, G-Tech 48TB drive array [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 11 2019 5:13 PM In reply to

• graubad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 16 2012
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

I had the same issue on 10.14.6 2018.12.8. Tried reinstalling but deleting CATACC.acf file resolved the issue.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller