Latest post Sat, Nov 2 2019 3:07 PM by Pat Horridge. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 1 2019 1:31 PM

• Brad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • West Yorkshire
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,310

copy files to another drive without consolidating

Hi everyone.  I have an annoying problem I'm trying to solve.

A client sent me a 10TB Lacie Thunderbolt 3 drive formatted in Windows 7.1 in exFAT.  It's not mounting, even though I've tried several well researched solutions.  There's about 3TB of raw footage, and about 3TB of Avid Media Files as they've transcoded everything and have projects already started with some stringouts.

I'm running out of time to find a solution, so my workaround is to use my neighbours PC to essentially copy over all the files on the PC formatted drive onto another empty exFAT drive that I format on my system. My assumption is that if I format it on my system it will work.

The problem will obviiously be that if I copy everything over without consolidating, MC will be looking for the clips / media on the original drive which I won't be using.

I thought about cloning, but I think that'll just copy the same file structure that's causing a problem on the current drive.

So my question is, will there be a way to relink / repopulate the project with the transcoded Avid Media File copies?

Thanks in advance.

Brad

imac late 2012 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 OS 10.13.2 MC 8.10.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 1 2019 2:08 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,411
    • Points 17,400

Re: copy files to another drive without consolidating

As long as the drive is recognized by the computer and the files are in the proper Avid MediaFiles/MXF/## file structure, and they are valid mxf files, Avid will find them on startup.  (Or on "refresh media directories" command.)

• Fri, Nov 1 2019 2:37 PM In reply to

• Brad
    • Not Ranked
    • West Yorkshire
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,310

Thanks for that.  Just thinking it through to clarify, if the transcoded files in a project are listed as being on Drive "X" but then after I copy them over to Drive "Y" (on a different PC based system) and and put Drive Y on my system and open the project (now on Drive Y), but Drive X isn't there anymore (remember drive X doesn't work on my Mac system) won't it show as being offline?

In the past I know that if I have clip in a bin in a project, and it lists the clip as living on Drive X, and drive X isn't connected, then it shows as offline, even if the same MXF file is on another drive that is connected.

Are you saying that this isn't the case?

Thanks and sorry for being confused.

imac late 2012 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 OS 10.13.2 MC 8.10.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 1 2019 2:57 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,411
    • Points 17,400

It should automatically repopulate the clips in the project with the new media.  You can also try "refresh media directories" and/or delete the media database files (msmFMID.pmr and msmMMOB.mdb) in the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/## folders and it will rebuild.

Another thing to try is to open the Media Tool, select all projects and the new drive, and see that Avid actually recognized the media as media.

I'm also assuming you have a bin listing the transcoded source clips in your project.  (If not, you can drag them in from the media tool.)

It's worked pretty flawlessy around here.

• Fri, Nov 1 2019 3:03 PM In reply to

• Brad
    • Not Ranked
    • West Yorkshire
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,310

That's great news.  Thanks so much.  I'll report back.

• Fri, Nov 1 2019 6:25 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 161
    • Points 2,120

Hey Brad,

have you successfully edited on ExFat drives in the past? I'm just asking because I have had trouble on a few occasions and I avoid it since then. ExFat for file transport, yes. But for actual editing it's either HFS/APFS or NTFS. I'm just saying it in case you are trying this for the first time. But maybe your experiences are better than mine and I have had just bad luck.

Besides that, as smrpix said, moving files (MXF, not linked) to another (even differently named) drive usually is no problem at all.

• Sat, Nov 2 2019 3:07 PM In reply to

I'd agree avoid Exfat for anything but transport. I've had odd issues as well.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller