Latest post Sat, Nov 16 2019 5:21 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 31 2019 7:23 PM

• nscherr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Camp Hill, PA
    • Posts 73
    • Points 885

Question about using Auxiliary TC1 Bin View

We usually acquire video footage using 2 - Canon 5D Mark IV DSLR cameras while recording audio to a SoundDevice MixPre6 audio recorder. We have matching timecode on all devices using the Tentacle Sync timecode system. When I bring the footage into Avid, I’m able to have Avid read the timecode from the audio channel and then have it re-reference the timecode to Auxiliary TC1 which displays the “Start” timecode of the clip in the bin - GREAT. Is there any way in the bin to display the Auxiliary TC1 “End” timecode of the clip and/or the Auxiliary TC1 “Mark IN” or “MARK OUT” in the bin? This would be super helpful if it’s possible.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Dell M6600 laptop Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit SP1 Intel i7 8 cores Nvidia Quadro 4000M 8 Gig Ram 500 gig internal eSataHDD Lenovo ThinkCentre M Series... [view my complete system specs]

Nick Scherr Video Production Manager Rite Aid Corporation

• Sat, Nov 2 2019 5:00 PM In reply to

Re: Question about using Auxiliary TC1 Bin View

Once you have the timecode in Aux TC1 why not modify the start timecode to match that Aux 1 timecode.

Then mark in end etc will be correct

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Nov 6 2019 9:39 PM In reply to

• nscherr
    • Not Ranked
    • Camp Hill, PA
    • Posts 73
    • Points 885

OK...I'll give that a try! Thanks for the reply!!

Nick

Dell M6600 laptop Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit SP1 Intel i7 8 cores Nvidia Quadro 4000M 8 Gig Ram 500 gig internal eSataHDD Lenovo ThinkCentre M Series... [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Nov 7 2019 2:02 PM In reply to

• nscherr
    • Not Ranked
    • Camp Hill, PA
    • Posts 73
    • Points 885

That worked! It's a bit tedious though with copy and pasting each Aux1TC into the Start field of each clip. Is there an easier way?

Thanks!

Nick

• Thu, Nov 7 2019 7:49 PM In reply to

There is not and I have asked for this for many years - be able to duplicate the AUX TC in to the start TC column instead of copy pasting every single aux tc individually.  Such a bore. I wish Avid would sort little things like this out, I feel your pain.

Andi

HP ZBook G5 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 Nvidia Quadro P2000 4GB 32GB Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.7 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) 2.5GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 8 2019 11:00 AM In reply to

• flostro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 17 2016
    • Munich
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

https://tentaclesync.com/files/downloads/tentacle_sync_avid_media_composer.pdf

...You could do this by manually copying every value form one field to another, but there is a more convenient way to to this. Media Composer lets you copy a complete row of timecode information to another.

Here is an example of how you copy all „Start TC“ values to the „Auxiliary TC 1“ row:

− Select „Start-TC“ row by clicking on the „Start“ row header in the bin

− Press Ctrl-D (or CMD-D under OSX)

− A window should open. Here you are able to select the target row where you wish to copy the selected Timecode to. Select „Auxiliary TC1“ and hit ok

• Fri, Nov 8 2019 3:54 PM In reply to

But it doesn't work the other way which is what the OP is asking about. You can't duplicate the aux TC in to the start TC column. You have to individually copy each entry. 

Andi

HP ZBook G5 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 Nvidia Quadro P2000 4GB 32GB Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.7 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) 2.5GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 12 2019 1:09 PM In reply to

• flostro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 17 2016
    • Munich
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

You are right. I just assumed it would also work the other way round. Confused

• Tue, Nov 12 2019 11:34 PM In reply to

Annoying isn't it! Sad

• Sat, Nov 16 2019 4:49 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,621
    • Points 65,970

I see Your pain. OTOH I have a question: in case of disater? Say You modify the Start TC and You have to re-acquire the footage for any reason, will that work? I never mess around with data MC uses to link-relink-batch-import, have I been missing something?

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Nov 16 2019 5:21 PM In reply to

I would never modify timecode that I knew to be correct. Often the only reason you're changing this timecode is that the camera didn't have any to start with or it was wrong. You're correct in that you won't be able to batch capture or relink to clips with the wrong timecode, but you can always change the timecode of the altered clip back to the original and then it will relink.  This haappens often with archve clips where the low res gets supplied with one timecode and the hi res gets supplied with another. As long as the duration and frame rate is the same, you should be able to relink by changing the timecodes to match.

Andi

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller