Latest post Thu, Oct 31 2019 5:19 PM by ovidius. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 31 2019 11:48 AM

• ovidius
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 6 2018
    • Posts 25
    • Points 235

Rendering nested effects

MC 2018.9.0

When I render my sequence, effects inside nests are not rendered.  I believe this is by design -- avid renders just the top layer to save disk space and possibly time.   But I have some hiccups when playing back, and it is always near a nested effect.   If I go into the nest and render all layers the issue is resolved, but it seems like there is some difference between rendering all layers and just the top.   Is this a known bug?

Also, irrespective of this issue, it would be nice to be able to force a render of all layers.  Because even if a nest plays back well, if there are underlying unrendered effects it is slow/sluggish to edit with.   Say I have a 10 second nest of footage resize, an alpha overlay or key, and a blur.   If all 10 seconds are rendered it is easy work to trim the shot, but I find if I've only rendered the nest, editing undoes the render. 

EDITS: typos from typing on a phone.

• Thu, Oct 31 2019 12:00 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,411
    • Points 17,400

Re: Rendering nested effects

This is a sideways answer to your question. 

I have all but given up on rendering.  When I need to render I do a video mixdown of the section instead, and cut it into a higher track.  Why?  because a mixdown requires the same amount of disk space as a render and is easier to find and delete when its no longer needed.

If you're doing simple trims, cut all layers rather than trim to keep the keyframes intact on the lower layers.  If you're doing extend trims, everything has to be re-rendered anyway.

• Thu, Oct 31 2019 12:39 PM In reply to

• ovidius
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 235

I understand you're not defending the bug/issue and I too do mixdowns, but a few points:

- it's actually a big time difference because mixing down means making in/out points, cutting in, or cutting out, etc.   I like to render my sequence when I'm taking a break or doing something else (talking on the phone, etc).  

- renders don't create bins full of mixdowns (so it's also better in this fashion). Render media can be deleted without ending up with media offline message.

- I have many nested effects that don't have keyframes and they trim just fine if I have rendered all layers.  Also if the keyframes are fixed trimming is usually fine.

And if I have, let's say 4 layers and only the top one has keyframes, it it quick work to change top layer if all layers are rendered.  But if they are not rendered it can become like molasses as the avid struggles to do all the calculations.

For these reasons I would really appreciate a "full render" option in avid that would start at the bottom of all nested effects and work it's its way up!.

• Thu, Oct 31 2019 5:12 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,577
    • Points 43,105

Render just needs to work.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Oct 31 2019 5:19 PM In reply to

• ovidius
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 235

Yes, agreed.  But even so, it would be nice to have an option to render all layers (so when it doesn't work, there is an easy workaround).

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller