Latest post Tue, Oct 29 2019 10:18 PM by Jim Blokland. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 10 2019 2:19 AM

Monitoring in 5.1 w DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

Hello folks:

Wondering if anyone can share details of the rig they use to monitor in 5.1 audio?  I'm using the DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, SDI out, converted to HDMI with a BlackMagic SDI to HDMI convertor.  I've got an ARCAM 5.1 amp and speakers ready to go.

Any tips on audio hardware to take discreet channels from the DeckLink and turn them into an AC3 optical feed that I can send to the Arcam amp?

Any advice welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Best, JIM. 

MC 2019.9.0 Sierra 10.13.6 Westmere Octo 3.46 Mhz 48 GB RAM EVGA GTX 970 FTW GPU SATA RAID array BM DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K [view my complete system specs]

JAMES BLOKLAND

• Thu, Oct 10 2019 5:45 AM In reply to

Re: Monitoring in 5.1 w DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

Hi Jim,

I doubt there's any realtime AC-3 converters out there, and it would mean you compromise sound quality by compressing to AC3. Any converters from HDMI to optical I have seen are only stereo.

Also, it's not necessary, since HDMI can carry uncompressed LPCM audio, so as long as you route HDMI to or through the amp, it should be able to get an audio signal from the HDMI source.

BUT.... There are some issues:

1. There is a known issue with non-Avid-branded BMD boxes. Simply put, BMD boxes do not correct the channel order for HDMI. You will end up with the Center and LFE channels swapped. AJA boxes like T-Tap and Hi5 _do_ correct for this channel order, as do the Avid-branded BMD boxes (DNxIO/IQ etc). Avid made them fix it on those.

If the Arcam has an analog 5.1 input, you could also get an HDMI-to-analog audio dis-embedder and feed it analog audio.

Or you could replace the BMD SDI-HDMI-converter with an AJA Hi5 converter.

2. Another issue is that both the BMD and the AJA boxes tend to send out either 2 or 8 channels of audio over HDMI, and I have found that some older amps do not take '7.1' inputs over HDMI, and flip to stereo (ignoring anything but the L and C channels). That was the case with one of my amps, so I replaced it with an amp that _does_ accept this 7.1 signal (even if we're just using the 5.1 channels inside of that signal). So it would be best to test with your specific amp.

I also read about miniDSP boxes that have tons of options and may even change the metadata in the HDMI stream to reflect 5.1 rather than 7.1, but I have not been able to test this myself yet.

3. I found that in order to output a 5.1/7.1 signal to my Marantz amp, I needed to set the dip switches on my Hi5 to a video format setting (I forgot which) that my LG OLED monitor could not handle. So I ended up running two HDMI lines, one into the amp, one into the TV/monitor.

Hope this helps.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 10 2019 1:15 PM In reply to

Hi Job:

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it. 

Sounds like the HDMI dis-embedder going analog to the Arcam is the simplest solution. 

Do you have any recommends for such a device?

Thanks in advance.

Best, JIM 

MC 2019.9.0 Sierra 10.13.6 Westmere Octo 3.46 Mhz 48 GB RAM EVGA GTX 970 FTW GPU SATA RAID array BM DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K [view my complete system specs]

JAMES BLOKLAND

• Thu, Oct 10 2019 6:36 PM In reply to

Not really, sorry. There's dozens of those out there and they're dirt cheap.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 21 2019 10:31 PM In reply to

This is the de-embedded I'm thinking of...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1353753-REG/gefen_gtv_hdmi_2_hdmiaud_hdmi_to_hdmi_plus.html

Hoping it will give me six discreet outputs, via direct out of the DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor. 

JAMES BLOKLAND

• Tue, Oct 29 2019 10:04 PM In reply to

Well, after double-checking with BlackMagic, and Gefen, the de-embedder I ordered doesn't work.

Left and Right channels work as expected, but the Center channel and subsequent surrounds/sub channels don't seem to have a signal, even though they're lighting up fine on the AVID meters.

It's also weird that there seems to be no audio accompanying the HDMI output from the DeckLink.  I only get a signal if it's the SDI output, converted to HDMI with a BM convertor.

This is really disappointing.  Feels like the DeckLink card is either a dud, or doesn't work as advertised.  Doesn't work as the Tech support at BM advised.

Anyone got some advice?  Short of changing the output card (at great expense), I'm a bit stymied.

Thanks in advance,

JIM.

JAMES BLOKLAND

• Tue, Oct 29 2019 10:18 PM In reply to

Okay, I'm an idiot.  Dunno why, but it's now working!  Only thing is the SUB/CENTER outputs are switched, as Job mentioned.  But with the Gefen interface, it's a simple swap of the RCA cables and voila!

Happy (surround) camper now!

Best, JIM. 

JAMES BLOKLAND

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller