Latest post Thu, Oct 10 2019 2:51 AM by Robert Martindale. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 8 2019 5:06 PM

exporting a collapse track with alpha

I want to export a stack of tracks with alpha files on them.

Is there a way to export the set of alpha files and create a new single alpha file?    That way, i can apply a 3D warp effect to it and it will all respond together as if its a container.

Alternatively, its there a way to apply the 3D warp effect to a collapsed set of alpha files and not have the background move when the warp effects are applied?

Mixdown didn't work...no alpha...

• Tue, Oct 8 2019 5:43 PM In reply to

Re: exporting a collapse track with alpha

QT ANIMATION CODEC SAYS ITS MAKES A ALPHA FILE, BUT DOESN'T....PNG SEQUENCE ALSO NO GO FOR ALPHA

• Tue, Oct 8 2019 8:16 PM In reply to

You know, folks...we can all layer tons of alpha files on top of each other, promote the effects to 3D matte keys and darn near keyframe just about everything and just go nuts in AVID...its a fact.

Its when we try to combine those crazy moves, etc into a container that AVID finally sez...off to a compositing application with you (After Effects, etc).

Premiere is a better compositor than AVID...but AVID is a way better video editor...its a tradeoff.

I'm going to stop trying to make AVID do what its not really meant to do...

...so, thanks for looking at the post but the decision is a limit of AVID as a compositor has been reached here and that's OK...

• Tue, Oct 8 2019 8:45 PM In reply to

• Mike Milo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Coral Springs, Florida, USA
    • Posts 82
    • Points 1,085

I do something similar (I think):

V1 is my program's sequence.

V2 thru V5 (for instance) is the stack I want to combine.

Select V5 and set in & out points.

Perform mixdown/video, choose bin. You should get a master clip containing All V2 thru V5 items. Then just replace the stack with the new master clip or export the stack.

Hope this helps.

HP Z820 Dual Xeon Processor running Media Composer 2018.12.2 and Nitris DX. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 9 2019 11:56 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,703
    • Points 61,440

I've never found a way to create a video with alpha in Media Composer. Often I will just perform two mix downs, one with the 'show matte key' enabled (many effects have this option) and then one without the matte key enabled, then I can stack the two mix downs and apply a matte key effect promoted to 3D Warp...

I have no idea if this could work with a stack. For complex composites I would prefer BMD Fusion Studio (through Fusion Connect). I have sworn off Adobe - it's a lifestyle choice, lol.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2019.9 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019.5 | Sapphire 2019.5 | Mocha Pro 2019.5 | Titler Pro 7 | Windows 10 Pro... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Wed, Oct 9 2019 7:56 PM In reply to

Thanks for the response.

Yes, exporting the fill and matte of an effect as separate files (AVI or other) and recombining them works well. 

For example, this is how to get just about any alpha based file into Boris RED/AVID FX (lots of copies of those programs still floating around..that's where I composite and do a lot of titling).

I will try that with a collapsed stack of alphas into one track....but I think that's already been done....and no go

• Wed, Oct 9 2019 8:20 PM In reply to

After trying the mixdown of a collapsed stack of alpha clips, both as video and as OP1a-MXF...neither one has an alpha.

Where is the setting you refer to to show the alphas so the file and matte can be exported in a mixdown?  There is a bin display to show precomputes but activating that with the sequence in the bin appears to show the individual mattes of the files used in the stack, not the stack itself.

• Wed, Oct 9 2019 11:06 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,703
    • Points 61,440

The effects themselves often have a 'show matte' or 'show alpha' setting. Not all, of course and once the tracks are collapsed using a sub master I don't know if this can be done. I often use Boris BCC effects which offer more flexibility in this regard but it does seem hit and miss. Would be great if the sub master had a 'show matte' or 'show alpha'.

As I mentioned, I have never found a way to export a video with alpha from MC (maybe you could with an image sequence export - I've never tried).

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2019.9 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019.5 | Sapphire 2019.5 | Mocha Pro 2019.5 | Titler Pro 7 | Windows 10 Pro... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Thu, Oct 10 2019 2:51 AM In reply to

....image sequence...been there...done that...no go....tried PNG with millions of colors+ and tiff

and you are right...if we could see the alpha and export it out as a matte file, then the fill track is easy to create....

...from there it would be easy (in theory) to create a 3D matte key and go nuts with the "container" track of all those alphas just created.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller